• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rensoul
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

But . . . . . . . . . Justin is just about the ONLY positive to the Chargers situation for a HC. The caps a mess next year, our stars are aging, we'll be losing our #1 running back, and you have to deal with the Spanos clan all up in your business.

I'm sure he'd love to win a SB, but I believe a national championship at Michigan might satisfy him as well. The only caveat would be if the NCAA starts talking about further suspensions . . . . . . . . .
    It's definitely not as attractive of a position as it was when BS was hired.
    A lot of cuts and a soft re-build looks like what's going to need to happen.

If BS gets fired the job is similar to walking into the Bears or NY Giants situation last year minus Herbert at Qb. Lot of bad contracts with aging players that need to be addressed and dead cap space from prior bad decisions leaving a bad cap situation.

Herbert I think is still a big draw for future HC candidates though.

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

In case this isnt posted here. It did look off to me when this happened. I thought Staley was telling him to go out of bounds or get down. I honestly wasnt sure what transpired there. Staley said in his presser that it was a teaching moment for Asante. So he made it sound like he wanted him to keep running. He said when he says "No Mas" you will know to get down or out. Here is Asantes take on it.

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
        In case this isnt posted here. It did look off to me when this happened. I thought Staley was telling him to go out of bounds or get down. I honestly wasnt sure what transpired there. Staley said in his presser that it was a teaching moment for Asante. So he made it sound like he wanted him to keep running. He said when he says "No Mas" you will know to get down or out. Here is Asantes take on it.

I watched Staley in this video several times and honestly can’t tell for sure what he was signaling but it sort of looked like his wave was to keep running.

I think they both deserve the benefit of the doubt….I.e…Staley was signaling to keep running while Asante thought he was signaling to get down.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I watched Staley in this video several times and honestly can’t tell for sure what he was signaling but it sort of looked like his wave was to keep running.

I think they both deserve the benefit of the doubt….I.e…Staley was signaling to keep running while Asante thought he was signaling to get down.
          The fact that its not clear says it all. When you want the guy to run it's not that hard to make it clear. I think Staley was caught between being super excited that the defense bailed him out a second time in 2 weeks and signaling what he wanted ASJ to do

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

If I saw a cut motion going across his body, I would interpret that as a stop signal...but that's me. We won, so just a lesson learned for both ASJ and Staley.

Comment

• rensoul
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

It looks like a teaching moment for BS as well. Asante interpreted it as stop, the HC should take some responsibility for the confusion.

Comment

• AK47
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

It looks like a teaching moment for BS as well. Asante interpreted it as stop, the HC should take some responsibility for the confusion.
                Eh...Asante's brain told him "don't Charger this" lol.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

It sounded like in his presser he blamed Asante. I just want to know if there is a disconnect between him and his players. The guys fighting on D can still fight and not like their coach. After the JC thing...i sort of wondered if there was a problem. Is Asante calling out his coach? lol I dont know. I dont have an agenda. Its not like i have been down on Staley just this season. I just want tp win games. But things feel off between him and his defenders. Who knows. Im kind of a profiler in a way with psych issues. I pick up on resent etc. Just curious is all. Moving on.

Comment

• rensoul
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2023
                    • Send PM

It sounded like in his presser he blamed Asante. I just want to know if there is a disconnect between him and his players. The guys fighting on D can still fight and not like their coach. After the JC thing...i sort of wondered if there was a problem. Is Asante calling out his coach? lol I dont know. I dont have an agenda. Its not like i have been down on Staley just this season. I just want tp win games. But things feel off between him and his defenders. Who knows. Im kind of a profiler in a way with psych issues. I pick up on resent etc. Just curious is all. Moving on.
                    It's not a good look because whether intended or not it can be interpreted as throwing Asante under the bus.
                    From the video BS's hand gestures are unclear and Asante interpreted it as stop. The HC deserves some blame if that is the case and should take some responsibility for that.

Just as a fan, I started tuning the coach out sometime last season. I used to like those All in episodes but I stopped watching those because I don't want to hear the BS and stopped watching press conferences etc..
                    He doesn't seem to learn from mistakes or take accountability so if that is the case behind closed doors I wouldn't be surprised if some players tune him out.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

It's not a good look because whether intended or not it can be interpreted as throwing Asante under the bus.
                      From the video BS's hand gestures are unclear and Asante interpreted it as stop. The HC deserves some blame if that is the case and should take some responsibility for that.

Just as a fan, I started tuning the coach out sometime last season. I used to like those All in episodes but I stopped watching those because I don't want to hear the BS and stopped watching press conferences etc..
                      He doesn't seem to learn from mistakes or take accountability so if that is the case behind closed doors I wouldn't be surprised if some players tune him out.
                      Agree. There's a clear way to motion for a player to keep going. We've all seen it. Staley didn't do that. We're all as confused by Staley's hand gestures as JCJ is by Staley's benching. For all his talk he's not a very good communicator.

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

It's definitely not as attractive of a position as it was when BS was hired.
                        A lot of cuts and a soft re-build looks like what's going to need to happen.

If BS gets fired the job is similar to walking into the Bears or NY Giants situation last year minus Herbert at Qb. Lot of bad contracts with aging players that need to be addressed and dead cap space from prior bad decisions leaving a bad cap situation.

Herbert I think is still a big draw for future HC candidates though.
                        Kellen Moore is waiting...

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2023
                          • Send PM

Like everyone, I've seen the clip a few times.

Yeah, he was definitel trying to signal something to Samuel, and it wasn't the keep on running signal.

Knowing Staley, there were probably 3 signals in one, and Samuel needed to interpret each one of them singularly,
                          and in combination, for the particular situation at hand.

Comment

Working...
                          X