Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
    Popper puts the blame on both Staley and Telesco....great article here

Also, I know this is a paywall. It's the only news website I pay for because, in my opinion, it is worth it. Quality content.

https://theathletic.com/5084962/2023...y-tom-telesco/
    I read Popper to say that

1. Staley insists the only problem is players but hes really wrong - it’s really his design and coaching.
    2. For arguments sake - IF the only problem was players, thats Staley’s fault too, so either way its Staley’s fault and he sucks.

I hope I’m not reading Popper giving TT any wiggle out, because I agree with your opener that it is both of their fault. Even if it’s “Staley’s guys”, it is TT’s responsibility that players are good players and there are two explanations if they are not - one is he picked the players himself and he should be fired. Two is he got rolled by a brand new rookie coach with no experience in coaching or roster building - and thats just a different version of why he should be fired.

Clean house time. Lets do it before the holidays so the family doesn’t have to sneeze all winter.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That is true but so what? They owe JCJ a lot more so that's a drop in the bucket and only form one year. It doesn't go against the dead cap.
      They been wasting money on rookie scrub HCs when they could just hire Harbaugh and know what they are getting.
      I'm with you on this bro. $4 mil per year is chump change. Somewhere I posted a vid of an NFL pundit, former scout, talking about this. There is so much money flowing in the NFL that paying a proven coach big money should not be a problem. But owners like Dean who 1. didn't earn their fortune but inherited everything including their NFL team and 2. are old school, having gotten into the league in the '80s when money wasn't as available, can't wrap their minds around paying out big money for a coach, even though the money is there to do it.

Maybe Dean will look at what Payton has done in Denver.

Or maybe he will look at what the York family - a situation every similar to his - has done with the 49ers, but turning the football side of the franchise over to football people. The 49ers can throw away three first round draft choices and still be the best team in their conference.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

I've heard this rumor from other sources.

My first thought was BB would probably want similar control to what he has in NE, that ownership would not be comfortable with. In other words, No TT. But then I remembered BB has complimented TT's drafting in the past. So maybe he would be cool with TT staying on as GM. Who knows.

BB with a good QB has historically been a very good combo.

I'm willing to believe the rumor, but I'm not willing to believe that the owners will make that move.
        I'd be good with Belichick taking over the Chargers, with one caveat - no Josh McDaniels in any capacity.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I'd be good with Belichick taking over the Chargers, with one caveat - no Josh McDaniels in any capacity.
          Can you include his sons, Joe Judge, Bill O'Brien and Matt Patricia too
          Plus he can't be GM

Truly I think the best choice is Harbaugh and the GM Harbaugh wants

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I read Popper to say that

1. Staley insists the only problem is players but hes really wrong - it’s really his design and coaching.
            2. For arguments sake - IF the only problem was players, thats Staley’s fault too, so either way its Staley’s fault and he sucks.

I hope I’m not reading Popper giving TT any wiggle out, because I agree with your opener that it is both of their fault. Even if it’s “Staley’s guys”, it is TT’s responsibility that players are good players and there are two explanations if they are not - one is he picked the players himself and he should be fired. Two is he got rolled by a brand new rookie coach with no experience in coaching or roster building - and thats just a different version of why he should be fired.

Clean house time. Lets do it before the holidays so the family doesn’t have to sneeze all winter.
            I read the article that Popper thinks Telesco should probably be out the door as well (he has not done a good job if you look at the rosters in his tenure excluding 17 and 10)

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

Why, do you plan on having dinner with our next OC??? Anyway you're right why would we want anything to do with a Superbowl winning OC!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

I don’t want Josh either but didn’t he deliver SB winning offenses when he had an elite QB? The key to 2024 is someone with a proven record of fixing defenses imo, the offense will take care of itself as long as Herbie is holding the reins.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Why, do you plan on having dinner with our next OC??? Anyway you're right why would we want anything to do with a Superbowl winning OC!
                  Lol, I posted the same before I saw this. I’m no JD fan but I am not worried about 2024 offense if Belly is HC even if he brings Jr Hoodie - whatever he does will be ok. The only reason Jr H keeps getting coaching gigs is he won multi-league SBs with an elite QB. He’d have an elite QB here.

Reduce defensive ppg allowed to 19 and we will win 13 games+.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t want Josh either but didn’t he deliver SB winning offenses when he had an elite QB? The key to 2024 is someone with a proven record of fixing defenses imo, the offense will take care of itself as long as Herbie is holding the reins.
                    So did Abrams/ Leftwich with the same QB. McDaniels isnt well liked so im a no to him as well. But lets be real, BB is NOT coming here.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2023
                      • Send PM

I don't believe Baby Spanos is dictating to the coaching staff who plays and who doesn't. My take on him is he has an office where sits all day and doesn't do much of anything tangible to the team. He's too timid to be telling the coaches anything. I think Telesco runs the ship, and lets Baby Spanos have his nuggets (like Stick) every once in awhile, but it's Telesco who makes the decisions, for better or worse (mostly worse lately). As you also noted, no NFL franchise would employ Baby Spanos or his brother if the Spanoses sold the Chargers. They would just become part of the idle rich.
                      It roughly has been a Bill Polian approach to team building .... however, I don't understand the big receiver fetish.

Indy had Marvin Harrison & Reggie Wayne during Telesco's time there.
                      The Chargers had a tradition of big receivers that preceded Telesco: V.J. and Malcolm Floyd.

Baby Spanos?

I can be swayed either way on this ..... but its hard for me to believe that a Spanos, having 'worked his way up', would not have substantial input on matters.
                      A. Spanos meddled on draft day, without knowing a damn thing. Its in their damn DNA.

For Telesco, it must be a difficult balancing act.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Staley looks like Jack in the Shining! "You didn't let me finish my sentence"
                        Nicholson's character in the Shining? Staley looks nothing like him!

At this point, I think I'd prefer Jack Torrance over Staley as head coach.
                        You don't want to enter the locker room with a Loss with this guy hanging around.

​​

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Nicholson's character in the Shining? Staley looks nothing like him!

At this point, I think I'd prefer Jack Torrance over Staley as head coach.
                          You don't want to enter the locker room with a Loss with this guy hanging around.

​​
                          Lol I didn't mean physically, I meant his vibe & expressions since his presser & melt down!

Comment

Working...
                          X