• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Aiden O'Connell is better than JH, right?? . . . . . . . . . . you've generally got good takes, but try to stay somewhat close to reality please . . . . . . .
    Of their Offense depth Chart player vs player QB is the only spot you can say Chargers have the better player. Allen or Adams. Jacobs or Ekeler. Mayer or Everett, Munford or Pipkins. Or it's marginal who is better. Of the healthy starters.

That is the only advantage Chargers truly have is JH10. But he has not play up this year.

Where was this offense 2nd half in the Cowboy game, or Titan game, wins were there for Herbert to go get.

Team game.

Defense has to improve. Everyone knows that.
    Not good enough. But they did enough vs Dallas.
    .the record is a team record they have to play complete games. As many as possible. Better than opponents on game days. They barely lost to these contending teams. That should make them want to work. Right! So there is no excuses for anyone.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Of their Offense depth Chart player vs player QB is the only spot you can say Chargers have the better player. Allen or Adams. Jacobs or Ekeler. Mayer or Everett, Munford or Pipkins. Or it's marginal who is better. Of the healthy starters.

That is the only advantage Chargers truly have is JH10. But he has not play up this year.

Where was this offense 2nd half in the Cowboy game, or Titan game, wins were there for Herbert to go get.

Team game.

.the record is a team record they have to play complete games. As many as possible. Better than opponents on game days. They barely lost to these contending teams. That should make them want to work. Right! So there is no excuses for anyone.
      Where was the defense in the entire games against Miami and Detroit. If the defense shows up and makes one stop on a 3rd or 4th down in either game. One effing play. Just one play. How crappy they played both games - literally against Miami on 3rd and 16 or whatever they gave up 40 yards. 4th downs against the Lions. Get a stop - get the ball to the offense. It works both ways.

Team game is right - I agree. But still going to put much more blame on a crappy defense that is bottom of the league in PPG allowed. The team is 4-5 because the defense is bottom tier.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Team game.

That's not what I heard all summer . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

That's not what I heard all summer . . . . . . . . . . .
          I am not objective when it comes to Telesco - he is a below Average GM who has had enough years to make a better team. But, he and Staley made the decision to bring back a lot of the same players from last years roster

If the team finishes at 7-10 - both need to go, meaning GM and HC as probably both are at fault

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Wouldn't be hiring this guy be like a repeat hire of Brandon Staley?? Correct me if I'm wrong this guy has had one successful year calling plays for Detroit so let's hire him and hope he could handle everything it entails to be a head coach in the NFL? I really hate these kind of hires! This guy has just established himself as a solid OC for the lions instead of bailing on that maybe stay there for 3 years and try and actually win something first!

Not even remotely comparable to Staley.

Johnson will have 12 years in the NFL and two as an OC at the end of the season.

Staley had only 4 years in the NFL and one season as a DC when he was hired.

Johnson is more like Nick Sirianni, who was in the league for 12 years and was OC at Indy for three seasons before getting the Philadelphia job.

Johnson is an offensive coach who is fully vested in the current NFL. Harbaugh has not coached in the NFL for a decade. Belichick is old and crotchety. I'll take Johnson over either all day long.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Where was the defense in the entire games against Miami and Detroit. If the defense shows up and makes one stop on a 3rd or 4th down in either game. One effing play. Just one play. How crappy they played both games - literally against Miami on 3rd and 16 or whatever they gave up 40 yards. 4th downs against the Lions. Get a stop - get the ball to the offense. It works both ways.

Team game is right - I agree. But still going to put much more blame on a crappy defense that is bottom of the league in PPG allowed. The team is 4-5 because the defense is bottom tier.
              What's up with our Cornerback situation. Roster wise.

2022 7th Rd Pick Leonard and 2022 6th Rd Pick Taylor.

That not who I want out there on regular basis.
              Those are good back ups and special teamers.
              The JCJ swing and miss set them back in regard to their plan for defense. They wanted to get a top lockdown guy. Give a boost the defense. It didn't happen. They are missing that piece. Even a new GM and HC should target a great CB next year. This is my issue with Telesco. I wanted Porter Jr-CB and they went for QJ. The WR has the talent to be great one day. But defense wins championships and Porter had #1 CB traits....so he was my pick. KC traded away Hill. The invested in OL over the WR. It worked.
              Chargers would be better off with 6th and 7th Rd WR.
              And 1st Rd/2nd Rd CB, OL, DL every year forever.
              They have a QB. Remember Telesco trade up in Rd1 to draft a RB. I wanted a DL at that spot. Armstead who 49ers drafted. That how far behind the curve the roster management is under Telesco. Worst GM to have kept his job this long. He has to go if Staley is fired.

If they don't build a championship roster (trenches and defense) around their QB, the next HC will have a tough time winning this division over KC.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Herbie has not been perfect but the late game collapses I saw coincided with an OL unable to keep anyone off of him, he was buried by multiple defenders instantly in those games repeatedly play after play. Blame Moore for a shit design to counter the obvious - max pressure defense.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

What's up with our Cornerback situation. Roster wise.

2022 7th Rd Pick Leonard and 2022 6th Rd Pick Taylor.

That not who I want out there on regular basis.
                  Those are good back ups and special teamers.
                  The JCJ swing and miss set them back in regard to their plan for defense. They wanted to get a top lockdown guy. Give a boost the defense. It didn't happen. They are missing that piece. Even a new GM and HC should target a great CB next year. This is my issue with Telesco. I wanted Porter Jr-CB and they went for QJ. The WR has the talent to be great one day. But defense wins championships and Porter had #1 CB traits....so he was my pick. KC traded away Hill. The invested in OL over the WR. It worked.
                  Chargers would be better off with 6th and 7th Rd WR.
                  And 1st Rd/2nd Rd CB, OL, DL every year forever.
                  They have a QB. Remember Telesco trade up in Rd1 to draft a RB. I wanted a DL at that spot. Armstead who 49ers drafted. That how far behind the curve the roster management is under Telesco. Worst GM to have kept his job this long. He has to go if Staley is fired.

If they don't build a championship roster (trenches and defense) around their QB, the next HC will have a tough time winning this division over KC.

Totally agree. Telesco has never build a strong defense or OL. Sure he got Rivers and Herbert but in his 11 years as the GM - the Chargers are 24th overall in rushing (well 23.6) to be exact based on average. The defense has mostly been "...bend but don't break, please throw an incomplete pass on third down"

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Not even remotely comparable to Staley.

Johnson will have 12 years in the NFL and two as an OC at the end of the season.

Staley had only 4 years in the NFL and one season as a DC when he was hired.

Johnson is more like Nick Sirianni, who was in the league for 12 years and was OC at Indy for three seasons before getting the Philadelphia job.

Johnson is an offensive coach who is fully vested in the current NFL. Harbaugh has not coached in the NFL for a decade. Belichick is old and crotchety. I'll take Johnson over either all day long.

Anthony Lynn had 17 years as an assistant, 4 years as an Asst HC, than one year as an OC and one game as a HC
                    Mike McCoy had 12 years as an assistant, three years as an OC
                    Pat Shurmur, 12 years in the NFL as an assistant plus another 10 in college, two years as an OC
                    Ben McAdoo - 12 years as an assistant coach with the final two years as OC before he became HC
                    Adam Gase - 12 years as an assistant coach and the final three as OC for the Broncos and Bears before he became HC with the Fish
                    Vance Joseph was an assistant in the NFL for 11 years and one year as a DC with the Fish before he became HC with the Broncos
                    Nathaniel Hackett was an assistant in the NFL for 15 years including stints as OC with the Jags and Packers

Most of these are offensive coordinators. I would say Dan Quinn had success that none of the above had; Jim Schwartz made the playoffs with the moribund Lions; Marvin Lewis was over .500 in his tenure with the Bengals when they were the Bungles

Zimmer and Arians were assistants for over 20 years at the NFL and Arians had time in college a few places. Hence I am good with a guy like Bisaccia

There are successes and failures around the NFL going from the coordinator route to the HC route... but for the Chargers since the Spanos family took ownership....

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

I am not objective when it comes to Telesco - he is a below Average GM who has had enough years to make a better team. But, he and Staley made the decision to bring back a lot of the same players from last years roster

If the team finishes at 7-10 - both need to go, meaning GM and HC as probably both are at fault
                      Telesco trade up for a RB. Behind the curve. League was already heading away from RBs being valued that high unless generational talent. The CB talent added to roster over his tenure very questionable? Only one good edge, Bosa who was a top 3 pick. Then Staley has them spend a 2nd to get Mack. But prior to that how much of a Dline has he ever built. Same with OL. His track record is mostly swing and miss or try to get bye with mid to late Rd picks and udfa for OL. Only when Staley arrived did they double down on trying to improve OL in draft. This should be normal. It should not take 10 year and Staley for you to want to address line of scrimmage like they have recently. And same for special teams, pathetic until Staley showed up.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Telesco trade up for a RB. Behind the curve. League was already heading away from RBs being valued that high unless generational talent. The CB talent added to roster over his tenure very questionable? Only one good edge, Bosa who was a top 3 pick. Then Staley has them spend a 2nd to get Mack. But prior to that how much of a Dline has he ever built. Same with OL. His track record is mostly swing and miss or try to get bye with mid to late Rd picks and udfa for OL. Only when Staley arrived did they double down on trying to improve OL in draft. This should be normal. It should not take 10 year and Staley for you to want to address line of scrimmage like they have recently. And same for special teams, pathetic until Staley showed up.
                        Has traded up in the draft for Te'O, Attaochu, Gordon and Murray, The first two were not that good - serviceable at best. Gordon was solid but like you said, RBs were devauled. Murray finally is playing decent
                        He has never traded back in the draft - not one time. Not even a 5th for two 6ths - nothing

He has made on trade at the deadline to add to the roster and that was Lissemore in his first year otherwise he has traded away King and Inman

He has been in the NFL for 30 years now starting as an intern with the Bills - maybe he just isn't good at his job.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Sealing his own fate:

Comment

Working...
                          X