• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think he is a good prospect but we don't need a QB so "in" on him isn't the word I'd use.

I thought at the time he would be the #1 pick. Still could, but I'd understand if he isn't.

Imo he has taken a step back this year. Don't think many would argue with that.
    And even before he did I didn't think he was the best QB ever to be coming out.
    That's a tough call for any QB. As much as I liked Burrow I didn't say that about him.

I never called Lawrence a bust.
    Some said he was the best QB to come out in many years. He was a good prospect and struggled early like most do. He is good, but nobody is labeling him the best QB today either is my point.

And yes, the Bears have a SB win and we don't.

Maybe Mahomes isn't such a factor if the division didn't suck? They haven't been dominate this year.
    You were "in" on the Caleb Williams is going to be a great quarterback in the NFL bandwagon at the beginning of the year. I don't know why you dropped to he is just a good prospect. He has 93 touchdown passes and 27 rushing touchdowns to just 14 interceptions in three seasons. He has 30 touchdown passes and five interceptions this season. His defense sucks, which is why USC is not in the National Title hunt. Sound familiar?

I don't think anyone thought Trevor Lawrence was going to be the greatest quarterback of all time. I don't think anyone is calling him a disappointment now, either.

The Bears' "curse" isn't much different than the Chargers'. The Bears have a Super Bowl title from 38 seasons ago. Over the last 20 years they've been to the playoffs five times (we've been eight times in the last 20 years). Either way, I doubt a "curse" is on Harbaugh's mind when deciding where he wants to coach in the NFL.

Aside from Mahomes, I'm sure you know there are plenty of other superior quarterbacks to deal with in the AFC. You also have Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence, and a rookie who may be great in C.J. Stroud. Some put Tua Tagovailoa, Lamar Jackson, and Deshaun Watson in the elite conversation (I don't, but some do). Then you have Aaron Rodgers possibly being in the conversation with the Jets next season. Which quarterbacks in the NFC can be in that conversation? Jalen Hurts? Dak Prescott? Brock Purdy? Maybe you have one or all of those quarterbacks among the elites, but I don't. Even if you put all three in that conversation, the NFC has nowhere near the depth that the AFC does.

Then there is another possible factor: there's no John Harbaugh in the NFC. Does he want to face his brother more than twice in the regular season, at the most, every four years? Maybe he does, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

Plus, you have people saying he actually is very interested in the Bears, so I don't know why it's so unrealistic to you.
    Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh has made many headlines this football season regarding the cheating scandal and rumors of becoming an NFL head coach next year.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Bears are an institution and if a HC brings it back to the top he will be a constant obsession of the national media and an eternal celebrity aka Parcels etc - that is the allure of the Bears. Their current situation, roster, etc is not the reason a coach would consider it. A HC may feel he’s up to that challenge because he is so good.

Some smart HC’s that have been around the block know that NFL is Not For Long and recognize Herbie is a golden ticket. A guy like Belly has that stature already cemented and wouldn;’t worry about becoming super-coach. He knows a champion Chargers would not have the same national media interest as a champion Bears but they would be interested in the “he did it without Brady” vector. Harbaugh - beats me which way he’d lean, i could easily see him preferring the Bears and Midwest gritty black and blue style of football. I could see anyone living back there interested in getting back to Cali too - it’s not like IL is a low-tax state though it’s not quite as bad as CA. Its close.
      I honestly think the best chance we have is Harbaugh is more disgusted with the Bears' owners than any other in the NFL. George Halas had a bad reputation of treating his players poorly. It didn't get much better after Halas passed away and the current owner (his daughter Virginia McCaskey) took over. At one point Jim McMahon was asked about who the Bears should draft in the first round. He said, "I think we should draft a new owner." That may have been when they drafted Harbaugh in the first round to eventually replace McMahon.

Virginia McCaskey is now 100 years old, so I don't know who's calling the shots in Chicago right now, but the Bears have hired Marc Trestman, John Fox, Matt Nagy, and Matt Eberflus since Lovie Smith was fired in 2012. There are rumors that Harbaugh was interested in going to the Bears two years ago, but they chose to go with Eberflus, so maybe there's something between them and Harbaugh that can't be fixed.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

You were "in" on the Caleb Williams is going to be a great quarterback in the NFL bandwagon at the beginning of the year. I don't know why you dropped to he is just a good prospect. He has 93 touchdown passes and 27 rushing touchdowns to just 14 interceptions in three seasons. He has 30 touchdown passes and five interceptions this season. His defense sucks, which is why USC is not in the National Title hunt. Sound familiar?

I don't think anyone thought Trevor Lawrence was going to be the greatest quarterback of all time. I don't think anyone is calling him a disappointment now, either.

The Bears' "curse" isn't much different than the Chargers'. The Bears have a Super Bowl title from 38 seasons ago. Over the last 20 years they've been to the playoffs five times (we've been eight times in the last 20 years). Either way, I doubt a "curse" is on Harbaugh's mind when deciding where he wants to coach in the NFL.

Aside from Mahomes, I'm sure you know there are plenty of other superior quarterbacks to deal with in the AFC. You also have Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence, and a rookie who may be great in C.J. Stroud. Some put Tua Tagovailoa, Lamar Jackson, and Deshaun Watson in the elite conversation (I don't, but some do). Then you have Aaron Rodgers possibly being in the conversation with the Jets next season. Which quarterbacks in the NFC can be in that conversation? Jalen Hurts? Dak Prescott? Brock Purdy? Maybe you have one or all of those quarterbacks among the elites, but I don't. Even if you put all three in that conversation, the NFC has nowhere near the depth that the AFC does.

Then there is another possible factor: there's no John Harbaugh in the NFC. Does he want to face his brother more than twice in the regular season, at the most, every four years? Maybe he does, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

Plus, you have people saying he actually is very interested in the Bears, so I don't know why it's so unrealistic to you.
        That's all fine and good but what matters most is Spanos.
        Will he even consider paying him? I think not. We don't have smart owners, we have morons.
        And we haven't won a SB in our 50+ years existance so any team who has 1 no matter how long ago has 1 more than us.

As for Caleb Williams. ...I like him. Since whatever I said we have seen some bizarre things like he wants part ownership...which won't happen.
        Saying he has a list of teams he wants to draft him.
        Not good signs and prima donna traits if true. Those are red flags if true.

So again, I think he could go #1 based on his play but can see him not as well.

Don't care either way, we won't be drafting him.

Also having superior QBs in the AFC didn't stop Rodgers from joining them.
        Harbaugh is a competitor. Don't think he cares who is in the division or conference.
        Seattle was pretty damn good when he went to SF and beat them with Kapernick.

He is interested in coaching our team. It's Spanos who will hold that back.....which may lead him to Chicago but it don't sound like their owner likes paying coaches either.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
          I am worried that changing OC again will begin to limit Herbert’s ceiling. I would not mind if Kellen Moore was to take over a couple of years to see what he can do. With Staley already moving on from Steichen and eventually replacing Lombardi with Moore, he has had a major hand in forcing Herbert to adjust to 3 different OC in 4 years, which is really insane to me considering Herbert’s talent level.
          I don't think you keep Kellen Moore as HC just to keep his as Herberts OC. I understand the point about not wanting HErbert to have another new OC but the team needs to hire a true Head Coach and not a glorified Sr OC. Moore has similar experience to Staley in terms of years - granted he has been coordinator longer. I don't mind if Staley is gone and the new HC wants to keep Moore - but again, like so many names - Ben Johnson, Frank Smith, no more first time head coaches.

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I don't think you keep Kellen Moore as HC just to keep his as Herberts OC. I understand the point about not wanting HErbert to have another new OC but the team needs to hire a true Head Coach and not a glorified Sr OC. Moore has similar experience to Staley in terms of years - granted he has been coordinator longer. I don't mind if Staley is gone and the new HC wants to keep Moore - but again, like so many names - Ben Johnson, Frank Smith, no more first time head coaches.
            Yeah these lame ass owners have tried the cheap first time coach route how many times now?Screw that,time to pony up some of your beloved dollars and hire a Real,Experienced coach again.If they don't they don't actually give 2 shits about winning and not even 1 shit about us fans.

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Kellen Moore does not come across as a "Leader or Men".

Staley could probably be a good leader of college kids.

The Chargers need someone with legit NFL experience. I've been wanting a coach with a winning NFL record with an average QB.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Kellen Moore does not come across as a "Leader or Men".

Staley could probably be a good leader of college kids.

The Chargers need someone with legit NFL experience. I've been wanting a coach with a winning NFL record with an average QB.
                Staley is a good positional coach. Right now that is his ceiling.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Another thing that bothers me, IF Spanos is telling whoever our HC who to play based on what they are paying them, it dont matter too much (though Harbaugh is still better than many coaches) who we have. The meddling they do will always be a deterrent and not the way to run your franchise. They need to go/sell/ sit the fuck down/ step back....all the above if this franchise is to EVER win a championship.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Another thing that bothers me, IF Spanos is telling whoever our HC who to play based on what they are paying them, it dont matter too much (though Harbaugh is still better than many coaches) who we have. The meddling they do will always be a deterrent and not the way to run your franchise. They need to go/sell/ sit the fuck down/ step back....all the above if this franchise is to EVER win a championship.
                    Pretty much concur

Step back or sell

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Bold prediction: In the offseason, the Spani do fire Staley. But they then follow the previous script and dip from the Rams well again and hire Rams OC Mike LaFleur as HC...
                      Last edited by Topcat; 11-24-2023, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Bold prediction: In the offseason, the Spani do fire Staley. But they then follow the previous script and dip from the Rams well and hire Rams OC Mike LaFleur as HC...
                        Then we can anoit Dean or JohnBoy Butthead

Sucks Beavis And Butthead GIF by Paramount+

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Supposedly that happens. But Staley seemed to have no problem doing it with Jackson when his play wasn’t great. Not just this year but last year as well prior to his injuries. So I don’t know how true it is.

Comment

Working...
                          X