• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He just doesn’t have enough jobs, thats the problem. Not only should he be GM, he should also take over OC and ST roles. He’s a fucking machine!

lol, i do remember a couple ideas floated he’d be a better GM than coach - idunno about that. I think his door will only swing out personally.
    I don't know where it came from that he would be a good general manager. Although I wanted him fired after the playoff loss to Jacksonville last January, and his recent press conferences have been a joke, I do think Staley is a good guy and hope he finds a position he can thrive in. If he ends up like Pete Carroll (who failed with the Jets and Patriots before having great runs with USC and the Seattle Seahawks) down the road that's great. But right now I think the best thing for him is to go back to Sean McVay or work for another successful coach and learn from the mistakes he's made with us.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Hating on Staley or wanting him to be fired is the IN thing to do. When Lynn and Mccoy were in their third season, did they get the same leve of hate? Some have suggested Moore be a HC or a candidate. Well, he hasn't shown he would be any better.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
        I did not have "Retain Staley AND let him be the GM" on my bingo card.

That's certainly a take.

I think it's much more likely that after he's done being the Chargers HC, Staley probably never gets another HCing job in the NFL ever again (similar to all other previous Chargers HCs).

But Critty you are certainly welcome to rub it in our faces if he ever does become successful, here or elsewhere.
        He's rubbing it in our faces already with the Chargers losing by only 10 points last Sunday.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I don't know where it came from that he would be a good general manager. Although I wanted him fired after the playoff loss to Jacksonville last January, and his recent press conferences have been a joke, I do think Staley is a good guy and hope he finds a position he can thrive in. If he ends up like Pete Carroll (who failed with the Jets and Patriots before having great runs with USC and the Seattle Seahawks) down the road that's great. But right now I think the best thing for him is to go back to Sean McVay or work for another successful coach and learn from the mistakes he's made with us.
          Freak from the other board saw Staley's trajectory as being the DC at Appalachian state next year.

I think that is what Staley is fighting for right now. Focusing exclusively on the defense to get a DC position somewhere next year.

Well, I wish him luck.

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
            Hating on Staley or wanting him to be fired is the IN thing to do. When Lynn and Mccoy were in their third season, did they get the same leve of hate? Some have suggested Moore be a HC or a candidate. Well, he hasn't shown he would be any better.
            i don't hate on the guy, but the seat of the HC is a very big seat, and he is not ready. if he stops arguing with reporters and eats some humble pie, he might learn from his mistakes and become a good HC some day.

he has some positive qualities. for example, i love going for it on 4th down, but in the right situation. Staley seems to pick the completely wrong time (just like the Lions did on thanksgiving).

the fans here are mad because it is week 12 or whatever, and instead of talking about the division race or WC race, we are actually starting to size up the draft order. i hate sizing up the draft order, because that means another season is lost.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

I actually like Staley pushing back on reporters on QJ...they are trying to create drama where there is none. QJ still developing, and trying to build confidence in his game...I would send out a seasoned vet if he said he was good to go...but wouldnt trust a rookie to know whether he was a liability with his banged up ribs...especially one who is probably desperate to prove himself...

I still think Q will be fine...the rest of the season, plus the offseason, and the connection will get there.

But though I got Staleys back on this issue, unless he miracles this team into the playoffs and wins a game there...its time for a shakeup
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I don’t remember who initiated it, the theory was that the roster talent quality has improved significantly due to him, but the coaching is not adequate. I think the roster has improved some, maybe not significantly - can’t tell really. 2022 draft looks sub-par to me now. 2021 also now looks ok meh - Slater ASJ and Palmer are players but then its 4 straight whiffs. We will see how the 2023 draft holds up. hearing he wanted Zay is another example of having a good eye, but maybe it also offers a clue he didn’t really have as decisive a voice in the draft room / roster decisions as many here think.

but it’s way too soon to contemplate a move like that. He has no GM / front office experience. Why pluck him ahead of all of the NFL front office and scouting professionals who have been honing their skills and craft for years just because he is already in a different office downstairs in the building? At least look around for GM candidates some, Johnny!

but first things first - Fire TT already. 11 years and zero divisions, heading towards 4 coaches. Thats it, time’s up.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

I like most of the stuff Staley has said throughout his tenure. He's a good speaker.

I like that he backed up QJ.

Shoot, I like that he got feisty, and said he was going to keep calling the plays. He believes in himself. I'd rather have that than a mealy mouth mumble about making more changes or something.

BUT, the returns aren't there on the field. The team keeps blowing coverages and missing assignments. That is on coaching. Execution is on players (which is why our run game sucks so bad on offense).

I think Brandon Staley is a great guy, and a good speaker, and I think he understands what he's doing. But he isn't getting things across to the team.
                  The message is lost. I thought he had turned it around last season when they went on that run and made the playoffs.
                  But the Jaguars loss hurt. Hurt bad. And we've seen regression ever since.

Harbaugh would be a slam dunk hire, no doubt. He's also going to be expensive, and the Spanos don't do expensive coaches.

Ben Johnson is the hot OC. And he's going to get a job. I don't know if that will be the Chargers or not. All I know is I am very wary of the "hot coordinator".
                  "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He has made big plays, you don’t notice them. I agree with your point that he’s making too many bad plays and I’m 100% over his stupid crown-first hits - those gotta stop. I think the bad plays are at least in part caused by the general secondary confusion clusterfuck that is the entire Charger slapstick defense.
                    Derwin gives up more big plays than he makes, by a 5-1 ratio.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
                      I like most of the stuff Staley has said throughout his tenure. He's a good speaker.

I like that he backed up QJ.

Shoot, I like that he got feisty, and said he was going to keep calling the plays. He believes in himself. I'd rather have that than a mealy mouth mumble about making more changes or something.

BUT, the returns aren't there on the field. The team keeps blowing coverages and missing assignments. That is on coaching. Execution is on players (which is why our run game sucks so bad on offense).

I think Brandon Staley is a great guy, and a good speaker, and I think he understands what he's doing. But he isn't getting things across to the team.
                      The message is lost. I thought he had turned it around last season when they went on that run and made the playoffs.
                      But the Jaguars loss hurt. Hurt bad. And we've seen regression ever since.

Harbaugh would be a slam dunk hire, no doubt. He's also going to be expensive, and the Spanos don't do expensive coaches.

Ben Johnson is the hot OC. And he's going to get a job. I don't know if that will be the Chargers or not. All I know is I am very wary of the "hot coordinator".
                      The Chargers should not try to be the team that gets the Hot OC - they did that with Staley and it hasn't worked out. Granted, not helped by the Three Stooges in the Front Office; Fredo, John Boy and Tommy T.

The Chargers need to get the RIGHT hire. I think Harbaugh is a slam dunk and I think Quinn is the best of the rest

Some are sayinig Vrabel is available or might be. Though Russini shot that down. But, if Vrabel were available - probably would give up a draft pick for him.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2021
                        • Carlsbad, CA
                        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                        • Send PM

Staley is a very bad coach. Get over it, Without JH, he would have a 3-14 record each year. Spanos still has an opportunity to save JH's career and have the chargers be relevant with changes. A homerun GM is a must, then an experienced coach. Then get the hell out of the way.

Comment

• Bolts0503
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2022
                          • Send PM

Just wondering if Brian Flores will get a shot at HC openings. My hunch is his complaint about minority hiring will linger too much but supposedly he liked Herbert over Tua, did okay with little at Miami and has the Viking D playing decently, and, most important, he will work a lot cheaper than many other "hot" names in order to be given a second chance.

Comment

Working...
                          X