• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
    I don't wish ill will of Staley. And my guess, in time he would have been a good head coaching candidate.

Ben Johnson turned down the Panthers last year - maybe he felt he was ready. Not blaming Staley for taking the job, you never know how often they come around - but the Spanii were fooled by that one. I doubt Staley will ever be a HC again at the Pro level - I can see it at the college level perhaps. But he is going to have to take some lumps and work his way back up. Position coach a couple years, maybe a coordinator again in time

Comment

• Air Coryell
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2021
      • Carlsbad, CA
      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I don't wish ill will of Staley. And my guess, in time he would have been a good head coaching candidate.

Ben Johnson turned down the Panthers last year - maybe he felt he was ready. Not blaming Staley for taking the job, you never know how often they come around - but the Spanii were fooled by that one. I doubt Staley will ever be a HC again at the Pro level - I can see it at the college level perhaps. But he is going to have to take some lumps and work his way back up. Position coach a couple years, maybe a coordinator again in time
      Staley sucks. He is not HC material anywhere but high school. Ben turned down the Panthers job because that job/owner sucks. Smart guy.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Staley sucks. He is not HC material anywhere but high school. Ben turned down the Panthers job because that job/owner sucks. Smart guy.
        Gawd, Ben Johnson must be thanking his 2022 self for not taking that job. May we both be blessed with the ability to make such decisions that turn out to be so wise.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

A new GM gets to hire his HC.
          But if I was owner I would not have allowed Telesco a 2nd and then 3rd HC. He should have been fired with McCoy. And for sure with Lynn.

I would fire Telesco.
          ​​​​​​And let Staley inherit GM title and shop for his own groceries. My reasons are simple. The special teams has really been so much better and whether it's his staff or the type of player he wants, etc....he is the first Chargers HC get that cleaned up in like forever. Also we have consistently been one of the least penaltized teams in the league. I think good HCs get their team to play without fouling. So after two seasons we get improve special teams and cleaner play. This is year 3. Losing all the close games. Missing 50million of talent to injury. But our best defensive player Mack is here because of Staley. So he already showed in 2 year he can find better DL talent than Telesco has in over a decade. Mike Davis CB is a Telesco player. Leonard who replaced him this week is a Staley player.

Staley gets to have a 4th year and full control over roster.
          But I need a playoff win. And if it doesn't happen. I'm not worried about a wasted year. Herbert will still only be entering his prime at age 27 in 2025 for a new GM/HC combo to build a winner with. I just think Staley actually knows what he is doing. It the special teams and low penalties that I'm giving him credit for build the culture that has accomplished that much. I've seen too many Chargers teams where they sucked at special teams and made pre snap penalty regularly. Staley change that in a short time. He earned his leeway from me. Telesco I have been unimpressed for years and years. So he can go.

​​​​​
          Fifth Harmony Reaction GIF by Music Choice

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

Did Telesco actually interview McCoy? They were both hired around the same time. I don't remember
            Dean brought in Ron Wolf as a consultant to hire a HC.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
              Outback Goon
              • Sep 2018
              • Australia
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

But should HC Staley have to hire a true Defensive Coordinator - as that seems to be the weakness - the DC?
              it wasnt the weakness on Sunday night

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Dean brought in Ron Wolf as a consultant to hire a HC.
                Time to bring in John Dorsey to consult on a GM and HC.

It really does blow my mind that these guys like John Spani Boy and TT get the opportunity to run an NFL team. With all their so called experience and they have continuously SUCKED at it. They have never tried to change the way they do things when it does not work over and over. John Spani Boy, Tolesco and Staley do not deserve to be in charge of an NFL franchise and never have deserved it.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

it wasnt the weakness on Sunday night
                  wow one game

What about the last 3 years when Staley's defense is a combined ranked 29 overall in yards against?

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

wow one game

What about the last 3 years when Staley's defense is a combined ranked 29 overall in yards against?
                    The defense is bad, very bad. But we've lost game because the offense cannot get it done either.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Here is the thing with that list. Sometimes many coordinators dont make good HCs but they get HC offers because of the job they did as coordinators.

When they are the HC they wont be the DC or OC for which they were. Schwartz wasnt, Spagnola wasnt , Gus wasnt and so on. Staley isnt the DC here but he is calling the plays and not doing a good job of it.....so what good is it to have them as HCs if they arent going to do what made them great?

Norv wasnt a good HC and called offensive plays but it made him a bad HC having other resposibilities.

Harbaugh does neither or these things as a HC and has shown to be a good HC. Zimmer is an asshole. Everybody loves Cousins but hot head Zimmer didnt? No to him.

Of that list beside Harbaugh who isnt on it, I wouldnt mind Quinn but he needs to bring a good DC with him. Cant get over the SB debacle which is like what we went thru with Jax last year.

Basaccia id be ok with. He had the Raiders playing well. He is more than ready.
                      Im hesitant but i might be ok with Flores.
                      Marvin Lewis...fuck that guy. He was a puppet to the Bengals owner. No way i want him.

No to everyone else, though, i think Garrett was meddled by Jones so im not so down on him....and again....we could have Vince Lombardi as HC, but if Telesco stays, it will be a disaster. He needs to go first or along with Staley.

Hiring the guy with the most epic SB collapse to replace the guy complained about as the (3rd worst) most epic playoffs collapse would be a neutron bomb of irony imo. Among Jr Coaches, I am intrigued by the Taub wildcard thrown out today. hmmm.

I don't like Lewis, Zimmer, Schwartz, Gus big no, Reich no way, ... a lot of no's for me so far. Spags i think is no, although I'm not sure he got a decent shot his one chance.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Florio believes there is still a chance the league will suspend Harbaugh if he is hired by an NFL team next season. He doesn't believe it would be right, but his contention is the league does what it wants, then justifies it afterward. As for the hottest in-league coaching candidate, he talks about Lions OC Ben Johnson. The most coveted coaching job: the Chargers of course, if Staley is finito.

PFT’s Mike Florio on Jim Harbaugh’s Potential Return to the NFL | The Rich Eisen Show

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                          This would actually be Dean Spanos if he didn't have a rich father who left him a pile of money and an NFL franchise. No joke.

Comment

Working...
                          X