• Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

100% common sense!

You have now invested 262 million dollars in Justin Herbert. He is easily the best player on the team and the most important player on the team.

Hire the best damn coach that will get the most out of Justin Herbert and can over see a competent team around him.
    the best hire for Herbert would be Jim Harbaugh
    look at his assistant coaches
    David Shaw
    Greg Roman
    I won't count Fangio necessarily as he seemed to have his own path but Fangio was at Stanford and the Niners with him
    I think the current DC of the Ravens was with him in Michigan before going to the Ravens
    the OC at Michigan, the interim guy, will probably get some sniffs at being a HC at the college level
    Pep Hamilton I think worked for Harbaugh at Michigan

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

the best hire for Herbert would be Jim Harbaugh
      look at his assistant coaches
      David Shaw
      Greg Roman
      I won't count Fangio necessarily as he seemed to have his own path but Fangio was at Stanford and the Niners with him
      I think the current DC of the Ravens was with him in Michigan before going to the Ravens
      the OC at Michigan, the interim guy, will probably get some sniffs at being a HC
      Pep Hamilton I think worked for Harbaugh at Michigan
      Totally agree.

If this Ownership was serious about winning they would hire Harbaugh for the team and for Herbert. He would cost more sure, but they would make more in the long run by improving their BRAND immeasurably. As Cowherd so well pointed out in his post game the Charger brand is hurting and getting lost in the LA market. It is irrelevant even with the gift of Justin Herbert. They are squandering the Golden Goose.

Its not too late. Herbert is 25. But they better get serious about the next GM and coach they hire.

Comment

• northerner
        Charger fan since '79
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

One would have thought by now the years of mediocrity would have them evaluating what has worked in the past -- and what hasn't and come to a conclusion. But if that means 20m out of pocket or 5m - the choice they make is the money in the pocket perhaps

And yes, that list is a total crap shoot. A guy like Dennis Allen, I think has done better in New Orleans than with the Raiders - better organization, GM and all that. And yet, still around .500 in two years. Garrett was over .500 with Jerry Jones - so dealing with the Spanii would be a cakewalk but the Clapper doesn't move the needle for me that much
        Garrett seemed like such a clown/puppet on TV on the cowboys sideline (Jerry's puppet), but he seemed pretty knowledgeable on sunday night foootball. I spent the first quarter wondering who the heck was calling the game.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I think this was supposed to be the idea with Anthony Lynn. This strategy doesn't always work out, either.
          It was. except he didn't have any experience running an organization... or even a side of the ball. He ran a running backs room most of his career. It was too big for him.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

Garrett seemed like such a clown/puppet on TV on the cowboys sideline (Jerry's puppet), but he seemed pretty knowledgeable on sunday night foootball. I spent the first quarter wondering who the heck was calling the game.
            I don't hate the idea of the Clapper. I mean, I pretty much hate the idea of Ben Johnson or Frank Smith or the Ravens DC or anybody who has a year or two as a coordinator and not much more experience on top of that. And again, working for the Spanii, experience matters- plus the last three really haven't finished off well (McCoy, Lynn and Staley - granted Telesco is such a lousy GM - thats part of it)

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Okay let me ask you a question if you were the owner and you had complete say would you rather have Brandon Staley as your HC next season with a new GM or Jim Harbaugh with a new GM as your next coach?
              A new GM gets to hire his HC.
              But if I was owner I would not have allowed Telesco a 2nd and then 3rd HC. He should have been fired with McCoy. And for sure with Lynn.

I would fire Telesco.
              ​​​​​​And let Staley inherit GM title and shop for his own groceries. My reasons are simple. The special teams has really been so much better and whether it's his staff or the type of player he wants, etc....he is the first Chargers HC get that cleaned up in like forever. Also we have consistently been one of the least penaltized teams in the league. I think good HCs get their team to play without fouling. So after two seasons we get improve special teams and cleaner play. This is year 3. Losing all the close games. Missing 50million of talent to injury. But our best defensive player Mack is here because of Staley. So he already showed in 2 year he can find better DL talent than Telesco has in over a decade. Mike Davis CB is a Telesco player. Leonard who replaced him this week is a Staley player.

Staley gets to have a 4th year and full control over roster.
              But I need a playoff win. And if it doesn't happen. I'm not worried about a wasted year. Herbert will still only be entering his prime at age 27 in 2025 for a new GM/HC combo to build a winner with. I just think Staley actually knows what he is doing. It the special teams and low penalties that I'm giving him credit for build the culture that has accomplished that much. I've seen too many Chargers teams where they sucked at special teams and made pre snap penalty regularly. Staley change that in a short time. He earned his leeway from me. Telesco I have been unimpressed for years and years. So he can go.

​​​​​
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

But if I was owner I would not have allowed Telesco a 2nd and then 3rd HC. He should have been fired with McCoy. And for sure with Lynn.

I would fire Telesco.
                ​​​​​​And let Staley inherit GM title and shop for his own groceries. My reasons are simple. The special teams has really been so much better and whether it's his staff or the type of player he wants, etc....he is the first Chargers HC get that cleaned up in like forever. Also we have consistently been one of the least penaltized teams in the league. I think good HCs get their team to play without fouling. So after two seasons we get improve special teams and cleaner play. This is year 3. Losing all the close games. Missing 50million of talent to injury. But our best defensive player Mack is here because of Staley. So he already showed in 2 year he can find better DL talent than Telesco has in over a decade. Mike Davis CB is a Telesco player. Leonard who replaced him this week is a Staley player.

But I need a playoff win. And if it doesn't happen. I'm not worried about a wasted year. Herbert will still only be entering his prime at age 27 in 2025 for a new GM/HC combo to build a winner with. I just think Staley actually knows what he is doing. It the special teams and low penalties that I'm giving him credit for build the culture that has accomplished that much. I've seen too many Chargers teams where they sucked at special teams and made pre snap penalty regularly. Staley change that in a short time. He earned his leeway from me. Telesco I have been unimpressed for years and years. So he can go.

​​​​​
                But should HC Staley have to hire a true Defensive Coordinator - as that seems to be the weakness - the DC?

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

I would fire Telesco.

​​​​​
                  What has Staley done in 3 years here to deserve to be a GM/HC? The fact that Staley said this last off season that this is the best team he's coached and constantly says that these are good players here that have the right stuff without seeing the obvious short comings at RT, OG, CB, RB, WR, LB and overall depth proves he would not make a good GM!

I wonder how many GMs and owners in the league there are today that would rather have Staley as their HC over Harbaugh? Maybe zero.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Screenshot_20231128-104005_Facebook.jpg

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Screenshot_20231128-084729_Facebook.jpg

Comment

• colorado
                        Fan since '62
                        • Jun 2023
                        • Desert Rat
                        • Nothing but time on my hands
                        • Send PM

We've seen Lombardi at OC. We've seen Moore at OC. Who's the worst of the two?!? We know Staley sucks eggs...

Comment

• BigBad
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

​​​​​
                          Did Telesco actually interview McCoy? They were both hired around the same time. I don't remember

Comment

Working...
                          X