• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LA_BOLT
    GO BOLTS!!!
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

But DJ played better last year than this year?
    My point is, when we think of Derwin being an All-Pro caliber player, we're just thinking of his rookie year. What has DJ done since then? He wasn't a stand-out player last year; his entire reputation is based off of how awesome he was as a rookie.

The last big play Derwin made was during the Monday Night game against the Raiders in '21 (INT covering Waller).
    Chargers logo:

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by LA_BOLT View Post

My point is, when we think of Derwin being an All-Pro caliber player, we're just thinking of his rookie year. What has DJ done since then? He wasn't a stand-out player last year; his entire reputation is based off of how awesome he was as a rookie.

The last big play Derwin made was during the Monday Night game against the Raiders in '21 (INT covering Waller).
      He was selected to the pro bowl in both 2021 and 2022. you are free to believe he's unworthy and his peers vote for him because he has such an awesome rep. Players love to vote for shitty players like that.
      in 2022 he had 115 tackles, 2 INT, 2 FF, 6 PD, 5 TFL. thats what he did in 2022.

Derwin is having a down year, no doubt. I see its more the entire secondary sucking balls so bad that no one back there trusts anyone else to do their job correctly. I can't tell if he's no longer a good player. thats just me. I think the 2023 defense stinks as a whole more often than not. its not prepared, its outcoached by OCs, and players don't know what they are doing way too often. When they all know what to do, they play pretty well - but way too often I see more than 2 or more players make mental errors on a play, and then I blame coaches.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Derwin has been All Pro three times. Last season he was 2nd team All Pro.

​​​​​​

Comment

• BigBad
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

​​​​​​
          A lot of the talk about the Chargers talent is in name only. Go look at Derwin in the Jax playoff game. No good. Again I'm hoping the Staley scheme has ruined him and he can still be fixed with a new coach.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

I remember that play. Derwin was coming off two lost seasons to injury, and when he INT'd Carr in that game to shut down any hope of a comeback by the Raiders, I was elated, thinking we got our playmaking safety back, a guy who will make plays to seal the win.

But he has not been a playmaker since that game. I would argue that in the past two seasons his mistakes and boneheaded penalties have been more detrimental to the team than his play has been positive.

I just made a poll about Derwin, did you see it?

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

A new GM gets to hire his HC.
              But if I was owner I would not have allowed Telesco a 2nd and then 3rd HC. He should have been fired with McCoy. And for sure with Lynn.

I would fire Telesco.
              ​​​​​​And let Staley inherit GM title and shop for his own groceries.
              My reasons are simple. The special teams has really been so much better and whether it's his staff or the type of player he wants, etc....he is the first Chargers HC get that cleaned up in like forever. Also we have consistently been one of the least penaltized teams in the league. I think good HCs get their team to play without fouling. So after two seasons we get improve special teams and cleaner play. This is year 3. Losing all the close games. Missing 50million of talent to injury. But our best defensive player Mack is here because of Staley. So he already showed in 2 year he can find better DL talent than Telesco has in over a decade. Mike Davis CB is a Telesco player. Leonard who replaced him this week is a Staley player.

Staley gets to have a 4th year and full control over roster.
              But I need a playoff win. And if it doesn't happen. I'm not worried about a wasted year. Herbert will still only be entering his prime at age 27 in 2025 for a new GM/HC combo to build a winner with. I just think Staley actually knows what he is doing. It the special teams and low penalties that I'm giving him credit for build the culture that has accomplished that much. I've seen too many Chargers teams where they sucked at special teams and made pre snap penalty regularly. Staley change that in a short time. He earned his leeway from me. Telesco I have been unimpressed for years and years. So he can go.

​​​​​
              And I thought the Brandon Staley as GM caboose had been decommissioned here.

In retrospect, the last 3 drafts have been no better than any other period, other than the McCoy drafts.
              The McCoy years saw some very turd-like drafts.

Let's rehire Mike McCoy as head coach and get him a top GM.
              Who's on board? He did more with less.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

But should HC Staley have to hire a true Defensive Coordinator - as that seems to be the weakness - the DC?
                No. Let the man cook his meal and live with the results.

Starting 3 CBs vs Ravens. 2nd Rd pick, 7th Rd and udfa.
                Samuel Jr
                Leonard
                Bassey

Ravens WRs they were going up against all former 1st Rd picks.
                ​​​​​​Beckham Jr
                Flowers
                Batemon
                Agholor

I was expecting Ravens to destroy Chargers. Didn't happen. But the personnel at CB isn't great. Bosa missing Linsley missing, Mike Williams missing, JCJ money wasted.

Staley lost Sunday night. But he didn't lose because he was out coached by Ravens HC. Baltimore have a better roster and more play makers. And they have been a consistent team for years. They have #1 record in AFC right now and Chargers who have some health and roster issues made it a game anyway. With Leonard and Bassey out there vs that fire power of the Ravens. No moral victory but shows me they haven't quit and his move to start Leonard and Bassey worked pretty well.

If I see the team quit. Make tons of penalties. Then I will stop supporting this HC.
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• LA_BOLT
                  GO BOLTS!!!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

​​​​​​
                  First-team All-Pro, once (rookie year; yes, 2nd-team last year).

3 Pro Bowl selections.

A couple Pro Bowls and a 2nd-team selection since his rookie year, it really doesn't change that DJ hasn't been a difference-maker. Some are on the side that it's mostly Staley's doing; my take is it seems to be more about two significant injuries may have caused him to lose a step or two - he's definitely not the force he was in 2018.
                  Chargers logo:

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I did not have "Retain Staley AND let him be the GM" on my bingo card.

That's certainly a take.

I think it's much more likely that after he's done being the Chargers HC, Staley probably never gets another HCing job in the NFL ever again (similar to all other previous Chargers HCs).

But Critty you are certainly welcome to rub it in our faces if he ever does become successful, here or elsewhere.
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      I remember that play. Derwin was coming off two lost seasons to injury, and when he INT'd Carr in that game to shut down any hope of a comeback by the Raiders, I was elated, thinking we got our playmaking safety back, a guy who will make plays to seal the win.

But he has not been a playmaker since that game. I would argue that in the past two seasons his mistakes and boneheaded penalties have been more detrimental to the team than his play has been positive.

I just made a poll about Derwin, did you see it?
                      He has made big plays, you don’t notice them. I agree with your point that he’s making too many bad plays and I’m 100% over his stupid crown-first hits - those gotta stop. I think the bad plays are at least in part caused by the general secondary confusion clusterfuck that is the entire Charger slapstick defense.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

That's certainly a take.

I think it's much more likely that after he's done being the Chargers HC, Staley probably never gets another HCing job in the NFL ever again (similar to all other previous Chargers HCs).

But Critty you are certainly welcome to rub it in our faces if he ever does become successful, here or elsewhere.
                        He just doesn’t have enough jobs, thats the problem. Not only should he be GM, he should also take over OC and ST roles. He’s a fucking machine!

lol, i do remember a couple ideas floated he’d be a better GM than coach - idunno about that. I think his door will only swing out personally.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

That's certainly a take.

Critty really doubling down on a hideous take to begin with

Comment

Working...
                          X