• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Ok so the majority here want Staley fired. Lots of reasons if one wants to pick one. A minority say no, Coach went 10-7 last year and thats not firing performance. another minority like me say let’s see what he does this year, not yet. But in truth, don’t you all know he’s not getting fired this week or this month? I mean be honest - you do know this, right? Firing the coach at week 6 isn’t gonna help the team in 2023, and everyone here knows the Spanos do not fire coaches mid-season like that. Not at 2-2, not at 2-3.

The team is 2-2 for god’s sake. The season just started. am i really the only one that finds the endless repetitive tirade here tiresome? both sides, and I’m not exempt either.

Sorry to rant, but it’s the same thing over and over and over … 400 pages of it. we all could probably stop the attempt to offer that one final piece of debate evidence after page 445 and go back to talking about football.

Breach picks Chargers 30-27 over the ‘Boys in a wild one …

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      Ok so the majority here want Staley fired. Lots of reasons if one wants to pick one. A minority say no, Coach went 10-7 last year and thats not firing performance. another minority like me say let’s see what he does this year, not yet. But in truth, don’t you all know he’s not getting fired this week or this month? I mean be honest - you do know this, right? Firing the coach at week 6 isn’t gonna help the team in 2023, and everyone here knows the Spanos do not fire coaches mid-season like that. Not at 2-2, not at 2-3.

The team is 2-2 for god’s sake. The season just started. am i really the only one that finds the endless repetitive tirade here tiresome? both sides, and I’m not exempt either.

Sorry to rant, but it’s the same thing over and over and over … 400 pages of it. we all could probably stop the attempt to offer that one final piece of debate evidence after page 445 and go back to talking about football.

Breach picks Chargers 30-27 over the ‘Boys in a wild one …

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...-over-cowboys/

I agree with this, and I think the people wanting Staley fired "now" are simply venting. He gets 2023 to see what happens.

That being said, it's a a couple of simple questions for me: How does Staley make us a better, more prepared team ready to win week to week (ie, is his coaching giving us an advantage/edge)? How has the team improved under his tenure?

If we are struggling to answer these questions then it's obvious what the decision at the end of the year needs to be. I mean let's be honest, the reality is that after Staley is fired he will join a long list of former Charger HCs that went on to never be HCs in the NFL again.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I agree with this, and I think the people wanting Staley fired "now" are simply venting. He gets 2023 to see what happens.

That being said, it's a a couple of simple questions for me: How does Staley make us a better, more prepared team ready to win week to week (ie, is his coaching giving us an advantage/edge)? How has the team improved under his tenure?

If we are struggling to answer these questions then it's obvious what the decision at the end of the year needs to be. I mean let's be honest, the reality is that after Staley is fired he will join a long list of former Charger HCs that went on to never be HCs in the NFL again.
        We were 10-7 last year, thats how he improved the team. Is his methods going to get us to the top tier - I don't know, I've seen the same defense everyone else has. There is a presumption here the roster is stacked with repressed pro bowlers and if not for him they would be great. I don't know if that is true. There is a presumption they won't get better, I don't know that is true either. I just see what you see which is a combination of Roster+Coaching thru just 4 games.

I can't predict the future forever, beats me if he's even fired much less a forever never-was. its one of the possibilities.

I agree its just venting, I understand it. Us optimistic fans are not blind nor unintelligent. We see greater flaws throughout the league and are not as sure we are uniquely singularly lame, perhaps. maybe something less than 446 pages of venting could accomplish the vent - idunno. or not - nobody really listens to me here anyway.

i'm just venting about the venting which I know is iconic
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

So happy to see this at least. Now we just need to execute better or have better play calls on those 4th and short.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
            ...The simple solution is to offer Jim Harbaugh 90 million dollars for a five year contract and let him figure out with his GM of choice how best to build around Herbert for the next five years!
            would offer him a five year contract, and w/the fifth year voidable.... have heard he wants a ten year contract.... just tell him no thank you, and that the Chargers hire HC's for four years.... we'll tack a fifth on there for posterity's sake, albeit's voidable, and.... he gets $10m/year.... (if Dean doesn't like it.... pls sell the team).

personal suspicion was that Staley was going to do fine this season, but that the wheels would fall off in 2024 after we had to pay the piper on the cap/salaries, and.... he is on the books for next season.
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

and then there's this.... https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-harbaugh-expected-to-become-highest-paid-coach-in-big-ten-conference/ar-AA1hW6N6
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

What? Of course fan opinion about Shanahan is fair. We are talking about fan opinion of Staley. Now everyone wants to split hairs about the detail around it.

I appreciate you talking about team inherited. Staley also inherited a losing team. Although it was 7-9. But still, they both inherited the job of win more and go get a championship. And after 2 year both had fans upset about success. And fans wanted them fired.

Again the obvious parallel is many fans wanted the HC fired after 2 years. And thought the young HC was way over his head. The comments about Shanahan after 2 years as HC are very similar. That what's great about information age. There are receipts.
                I am in the Bay Area and surrounded by 49er fans. They did not want him fired. But they did complain about his conservative play calling. In particular kicking FG when the
                fans wanted him to attempt a 4th down conversion. They lost a couple close games and the talking heads were on fire as a result.

As for Staley the main complaint is that he was brought in as a defensive genius. That hasn't worked out quite like the fans wanted. We also went all in FA and have not
                reaped the rewards we anticipated.

I for one am not ready to fire Staley. I'd like to see how we finish the year. Then we as fans can rant about what we want.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

I am in the Bay Area and surrounded by 49er fans. They did not want him fired. But they did complain about his conservative play calling. In particular kicking FG when the
                  fans wanted him to attempt a 4th down conversion. They lost a couple close games and the talking heads were on fire as a result.

As for Staley the main complaint is that he was brought in as a defensive genius. That hasn't worked out quite like the fans wanted. We also went all in FA and have not

I for one am not ready to fire Staley. I'd like to see how we finish the year. Then we as fans can rant about what we want.
                  And just think how bad Hoodie is doing in New England right now and I feel real good about the Chargers...Lombardi and JC Jackson have been a real kick in the balls for Staley. LOL!
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

So Harbaugh will be getting a raise from the $7.34 million per year he is making now. How much would it take to convince him to come to the NFL and do people think Team Spanos would pay $8+ million a year to a coach to come here if we move on from Staley?

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Not a fair assessment of Shanahan. He inherited a 2-14 team. The next year Jimmy G got hurt and they went with a guy called Mullens at QB. Year 3, SB appearance.
                      The fans thought Shanahan was too conservative. Truth is he didn't have the QB he wanted. That's why they drafted Lance.

Don't know about Belicheck or Daboll. Way to early to say about Payton.

First order of importance is the talent on the team. For today's NFL a lot falls on the QB. Coaching being the 2nd most important aspect.

I think unless the team completely tanks Staley should finish the year. Then we can access whether to replace him or not. POs with a win is expected.

On the other had TT has had plenty of time on the helm and we haven't gotten far. To be fair we don't actually know who is pulling the strings, are the
                      decisions TTs or J. Spanos?
                      We can disagree here. But it's a spot on comparison because I'm only comparing how fans felt about their HC after 2 years. They wanted him fired. They were literally chanting "fire Kyle" after a game.

​​​​​https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/10/...hree-game-skid
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

There was a bit more than complaining happening. 49ers fans chanted "fire Kyle".

​​​​​https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/10/...ree-game-skid/

SANTA CLARA – The 49ers’ three-game losing streak is on hold for this week’s bye, yet my Week 6 mailbag won’t rest, via my Instagram and Twitter huddles:

Why were fans chanting “Fire Kyle” while exiting State Farm Stadium?

First, he’s not getting fired, not now, not through 2022. Fans’ frustration boiled over because of play calls that backfired, especially the fourth-down failures (1-of-5) but also third-down issues (3-of-11). That doesn’t reflect well for an offensive guru. Ownership has his back, however, as evident by the blessing of Kyle Shanahan’s costly move up the draft board, then doubling down by keeping Jimmy Garoppolo​
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

We can disagree here. But it's a spot on comparison because I'm only comparing how fans felt about their HC after 2 years. They wanted him fired. They were literally chanting "fire Kyle" after a game.

​​​​​https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/10/...hree-game-skid
                          Getting to a SB the third year helps a lot in cooling the hot seat lol. If only we can do the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X