• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You’re too easy on Staley. It’s a QB/Coach league. Average won’t cut it. He’s barely above 500. And trending down. Whatever he’s trying to teach isn’t getting thru. Look at the rosters of all the defenses ranked higher than us and tell me they all have better talent. It won’t happen. Because everybody has one or two premium guys and a bunch of role players that excel in their roles. You could have Surtain and Simmons here for example and I bet the results would be similar. He was a child in terms of experience when he was hired. The rams sure didn’t miss him when they won the Super Bowl after he left and they’re still playing good defense.

you’re cherry picking with Philly. Take the Chiefs. Chris Jonesnis great. But Spags has whipped that whole unit into shape. They’re carrying the chiefs this season.
    You are right of course. It isnt getting better 3 years into the job. It is regressing. There is no defending Staley's record. 500 is not a benchmark. He was given Justin Herbert to work with who puts up points at a hiitorical pace for a young QB.

Even the players are fed up. Gilman just said something needs to change

Comment

• HerbieParadigm
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2022
      • Send PM

It is time, but with whom?
      If I was Spanos, I would fire Staley and Telesco today. I am a new Chargers fan given Herbert, lacking Chargers history. I would have already reached out to Dan Fouts to join the organization for roster wide talent assessment and specifically work with Herbert and guide/assess Moore. Hire GM & Coach after the season ends. I would ask Cowher to take a 6 month leave from CBS and have him bring in Colbert. If other Chargers greats are available, bring them into the organization during this process.

I am not a fan of Moore, rather I would get a leader out of college starting with Dan Lanning. I am following the Bills OC change, impressed that Brady knows to lean on Josh. Moore is evolving tooooooo slowly to Unleash Herbert. I do think Fouts would greatly help Herbert to take total ownership of O play calling. The Ravens game is the perfect situation for Herbert to play f---ing pissed off! Making changes now will piss Herbert off even more, time for him to act like he is the tale wagging this dog of a team.
      ​

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Will Staley get fired today? IMO, I don't think he is emotionally and psychologically capable of continuing to coach this team. Watching the post-game presser with his defensiveness and quarreling with reporters, I see a man on the verge of a breakdown who is incapable at this point of accurately processing information.

Honestly, I believe the humane thing to do, for the sake of Staley's personal well-being, is to relieve him of this burden and send him home to his family, and let someone else take over the responsibility of leading this team for the remainder of the season.

I believe the best person for the job of interim HC is ST coach Ryan Ficken. He is experienced and capable, special teams may be the best-coached unit on this team. Let Moore continue to concentrate on the offense. Hand the defense over to Ansley and let him prove himself, or not, over the next two months.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by HerbieParadigm View Post
          It is time, but with whom?
          If I was Spanos, I would fire Staley and Telesco today. I am a new Chargers fan given Herbert, lacking Chargers history. I would have already reached out to Dan Fouts to join the organization for roster wide talent assessment and specifically work with Herbert and guide/assess Moore. Hire GM & Coach after the season ends. I would ask Cowher to take a 6 month leave from CBS and have him bring in Colbert. If other Chargers greats are available, bring them into the organization during this process.

I am not a fan of Moore, rather I would get a leader out of college starting with Dan Lanning. I am following the Bills OC change, impressed that Brady knows to lean on Josh. Moore is evolving tooooooo slowly to Unleash Herbert. I do think Fouts would greatly help Herbert to take total ownership of O play calling. The Ravens game is the perfect situation for Herbert to play f---ing pissed off! Making changes now will piss Herbert off even more, time for him to act like he is the tale wagging this dog of a team.
          ​
          Give Moore the rest of the year and see if he can coax more out of this team. Can't hurt, won't cost anything and we'd be rid of Staley. No downside to this whatsoever.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

After watching the Broncos on SNF, I've had a change of opinion about who the Spanoses should turn to for their next head coach. I now agree with those who say this team needs a veteran coach with a proven track record of winning.

What Sean Payton has done in Denver is nothing short of amazing. He took a franchise that was in complete disarray just a few weeks ago and has them believing in themselves with four straight wins. An ugly, grizzled veteran leader with and iron hand and firm resolve who's seen everything and knows exactly what to do. I see now that this is what this Chargers franchise needs.

So I am on board with hiring Harbaugh or Belichick, with the caveat that Josh McDaniels is come nowhere near Herbert or this team.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Will Staley get fired today? IMO, I don't think he is emotionally and psychologically capable of continuing to coach this team. Watching the post-game presser with his defensiveness and quarreling with reporters, I see a man on the verge of a breakdown who is incapable at this point of accurately processing information. Honestly, I believe the humane thing to do, for the sake of Staley's personal well-being, is to relieve him of this burden and send him home to his family, and let someone else take over the responsibility of leading this team for the remainder of the season. I believe the best person for the job of interim HC is ST coach Ryan Ficken. He is experienced and capable, special teams may be the best-coached unit on this team. Let Moore continue to concentrate on the offense. Hand the defense over to Ansley and let him prove himself, or not, over the next two months.
              Aside from Staley's well being it is what an organization that is serious about winning would do. There are emerging signs the players are frustrated and fed up. The Raiders attitude and play has shown a significant change since bad coaching was removed there. There are still things to play for and learn about this team to get ready for next year.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

Rex Ryan didn't have a lot of nice things to say about Staley. Said he should go back and coach Div III football. He did bring up and interesting point. The chargers have the 2nd highest payroll on defense, and they are the 2nd worst defense in the league.
                1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                3a- #66 Puni OT
                3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                4a- #105 Rice WR
                4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                5- #140 Green CB
                6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Aside from Staley's well being it is what an organization that is serious about winning would do. There are emerging signs the players are frustrated and fed up. The Raiders attitude and play has shown a significant change since bad coaching was removed there. There are still things to play for and learn about this team to get ready for next year.
                  Well-stated. I would argue though that the signs of player frustration are beyond emerging. They were on full display yesterday. While they may not openly revolt or criticize Staley (I believe they truly respect Staley), the fact they keep repeating the same mistakes game after game shows they have stopped listening to Staley.

Comment

• northerner
                    Charger fan since '79
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Will Staley get fired today? IMO, I don't think he is emotionally and psychologically capable of continuing to coach this team. Watching the post-game presser with his defensiveness and quarreling with reporters, I see a man on the verge of a breakdown who is incapable at this point of accurately processing information.

Honestly, I believe the humane thing to do, for the sake of Staley's personal well-being, is to relieve him of this burden and send him home to his family, and let someone else take over the responsibility of leading this team for the remainder of the season.

I believe the best person for the job of interim HC is ST coach Ryan Ficken. He is experienced and capable, special teams may be the best-coached unit on this team. Let Moore continue to concentrate on the offense. Hand the defense over to Ansley and let him prove himself, or not, over the next two months.
                    I agree with this. let moore prove himself with the offense. if he takes over HC duties, he will be stretched too thin.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
                      Rex Ryan didn't have a lot of nice things to say about Staley. Said he should go back and coach Div III football. He did bring up and interesting point. The chargers have the 2nd highest payroll on defense, and they are the 2nd worst defense in the league.
                      There is a worse defense in the league? Hard to believe.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

I agree with this. let moore prove himself with the offense. if he takes over HC duties, he will be stretched too thin.
                        Absolutely. The offense needs his full attention, and he is still learning to be an OC. Let him just focus on that.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Absolutely. The offense needs his full attention, and he is still learning to be an OC. Let him just focus on that.
                          I agree with you about Ficken - if an interim is needed as you are right, let Moore focus on offense, Antsley focus on the defense. Ficken would have the in-game bandwidth to handle the job

And truly, if the Spanii thinks there is a playoff run to be had - why keep Staley - the team needs a boost. Look at hte Raiders and how the change helped them. Who knows - do the same for the Chargers

Comment

Working...
                          X