• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I thought we would win 9 or 10 games this year and be a fringe playoff team. Since that is exactly where we ended up I can’t be too upset. We won 2 more games than last year and I expect at least 2 more next year. What sucks is we started so fast and then cooled off. We definitely have holes to fill but I am not nearly as pessimistic as a lot here seem to be.
    I would be less pessimistic with a better supporting coaching staff. Staley must have had thin pickings to choose from his first season. With all the head coaching firings there are multiple defensive coaches looking for Jobs. Make it attractive and we win 3 more games a season and go deep into the playoffs. Yes we need some more talent but look what the colts have done.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• DallasEire
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

It was Staley's first year here, and D scheme changed from last year. He's now learned what these players can do (and can't do), and will make some changes this offseason to bring in players to fit his scheme. I will be surprised if the D isn't improved next year. You have to admit that several players performed better this yr than last yr, but there are more changes that are needed. He's not a miracle worker.

I'm just as disappointed in the team losing yesterday as anyone else. Before the season began, I was thinking this team could challenge for a post-season spot, and they did. This team wasn't going to win 3 road games in a row, likely with a few of them in cold weather, to get to the Super Bowl. It's a process and this team has many of the necessary pieces to be great for years to come.

I'm encouraged about the prospects of this team moving forward. If you or anyone else doesn't feel it, I don't know what to say. We have Herbo, and everybody else doesn't. Start with that.

Like others have said, I feel Staley will learn and grow from this season. He's very intelligent, knows what he wants to do and how to do it (that's my gut anyway) with a plan to get it done, is highly driven, implicitly trusts his best player, and his players will run through walls for him and for Herbo. Let's hope players will take less salary to play for Staley/with Herbo.

Bolt Up!
      I have seen the notion that Smoke's players "would run through a wall for him" a number of times here recently.

Why do we think we know that to be the case? This team was flat to start yesterday.

By a player quoted as " not focused" for what was essentially a playoff game last night

Were inexcusable flat at Houston. That sixty minutes of asininity will never be recovered by any fan unfortunate enough to watch that one.

Never got off the bus in Baltimore and were summarily crushed by a pedestrian also-ran.

Were flat up in Denver and were badly beaten by a team missing three (3) OL starters

I am not saying the statement of player's be willing to run through a wall for Coach Smoke is inaccurate i just wonder why we assume its true when game evidence disputes a team as fired-up or prepared.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I would be less pessimistic with a better supporting coaching staff. Staley must have had thin pickings to choose from his first season. With all the head coaching firings there are multiple defensive coaches looking for Jobs. Make it attractive and we win 3 more games a season and go deep into the playoffs. Yes we need some more talent but look what the colts have done.
        Look at the Colts? You mean look at a team that lost it's last game, ended up at 9-8 and out of the playoffs?

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Look at the Colts? You mean look at a team that lost it's last game, ended up at 9-8 and out of the playoffs?
          I'm talking defensively. Sure they blew a lollipop game but so did we with the Texans. Wentz is crap and he's too busy spending money he's never earned.

:whistlin:

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'm talking defensively. Sure they blew a lollipop game but so did we with the Texans. Wentz is crap and he's too busy spending money he's never earned.

:whistlin:
            Losing to the Jags to get eliminated is far more of a sin than losing to the Raiders.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Losing to the Jags to get eliminated is far more of a sin than losing to the Raiders.
              Wentz is crap! He has four good games a season and the rest are average. Sort of like our defensive coordinator!

:wtf2:

Comment

• DallasEire
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2019
                • Send PM

I have trouble with the notion that we just don't have the personnel for Smoke to be successful.

Granted, there are depth issues here and there are glaring weaknesses. Welcome to NFL in the days of the Salary Cap. Every team has weaknesses.

But,, what team has eleven pro bowl starters on Defense? How do other teams mask their inefficiencies but ours must remain glaringly obvious?

I have real problems with a team that regressed. The defense was worse (much worse) after seventeen games under Smoke.

This Defense was 2003 Dale Lindsay bad.

It was the worst I have seen in forty years of watching the team.

Players made the same mistakes over and over and over. Seems to me Smoke might have a problem integrating accountability with relating as a player's coach ( with his gangsta at QB and his shit just didn't go down colloquialisms in a bizarre attempt to relate and connect with a player in the core athlete language of imbecile).

I wouldn't say this season is an indictment of Smoke's overall ability but it certainly isn't an argument in favor either.

Not in any way was this season a success. A top five QB that remained healthy Bosa and Derwin James playing a majority of games and you did not make an expanded playoff field where very mediocre teams did?

Staley isn't judged by year one only but the argument and no portion of it at all certainly ain't trending in his favor

Comment

• Attack
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DallasEire View Post

I have seen the notion that Smoke's players "would run through a wall for him" a number of times here recently.

Why do we think we know that to be the case? This team was flat to start yesterday.

By a player quoted as " not focused" for what was essentially a playoff game last night

Were inexcusable flat at Houston. That sixty minutes of asininity will never be recovered by any fan unfortunate enough to watch that one.

Never got off the bus in Baltimore and were summarily crushed by a pedestrian also-ran.

Were flat up in Denver and were badly beaten by a team missing three (3) OL starters

I am not saying the statement of player's be willing to run through a wall for Coach Smoke is inaccurate i just wonder why we assume its true when game evidence disputes a team as fired-up or prepared.
                  Most teams lay an egg or two every year. We've all seen lesser teams beat more talented teams. See Indy vs Jax yesterday. It happens. That's what happened against Houston, to me. Against BALT, that team is more physical than the current Chargers, and the Chargers were just outplayed. DEN has a very good defense and playing at DEN is a tough place to win.

Ekeler said something to the effect that he would do whatever he could for Herbo and would want to play with Herbo forever. I think Staley plays into that by showing the O, and the entire team, for that matter, how much he believes in Herbo by going for it on 4th down so often. The camera showed Bosa yesterday after one of the TDs late in the game, and Bosa's expression was telling- I read Bosa's face as saying Herbo is incredible in how he brought the team back. How could one not want to do as much as you could for Herbo. And Herbo speaks glowingly of Staley, so it all feeds off of each other.

Comment

• DallasEire
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

Most teams lay an egg or two every year. We've all seen lesser teams beat more talented teams. See Indy vs Jax yesterday. It happens. That's what happened against Houston, to me. Against BALT, that team is more physical than the current Chargers, and the Chargers were just outplayed. DEN has a very good defense and playing at DEN is a tough place to win.

Ekeler said something to the effect that he would do whatever he could for Herbo and would want to play with Herbo forever. I think Staley plays into that by showing the O, and the entire team, for that matter, how much he believes in Herbo by going for it on 4th down so often. The camera showed Bosa yesterday after one of the TDs late in the game, and Bosa's expression was telling- I read Bosa's face as saying Herbo is incredible in how he brought the team back. How could one not want to do as much as you could for Herbo. And Herbo speaks glowingly of Staley, so it all feeds off of each other.
                    Seems like a reasonable assumption but I still feel skepticism toward it. The defense was so fired up by the incredible play by #10 that they came out and were pushed off the LOS all the way to St. George.

I was shocked that a team as deflated as Oak could simply come out and bully the defense in OT.

I see very little in the way the team plays that tells me Smoke has his player's full attention let alone commitment

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Herbert = the new MFIC

ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DallasEire View Post
                        I have trouble with the notion that we just don't have the personnel for Smoke to be successful.

Granted, there are depth issues here and there are glaring weaknesses. Welcome to NFL in the days of the Salary Cap. Every team has weaknesses.

But,, what team has eleven pro bowl starters on Defense? How do other teams mask their inefficiencies but ours must remain glaringly obvious?

I have real problems with a team that regressed. The defense was worse (much worse) after seventeen games under Smoke.

This Defense was 2003 Dale Lindsay bad.

It was the worst I have seen in forty years of watching the team.

Players made the same mistakes over and over and over. Seems to me Smoke might have a problem integrating accountability with relating as a player's coach ( with his gangsta at QB and his shit just didn't go down colloquialisms in a bizarre attempt to relate and connect with a player in the core athlete language of imbecile).

I wouldn't say this season is an indictment of Smoke's overall ability but it certainly isn't an argument in favor either.

Not in any way was this season a success. A top five QB that remained healthy Bosa and Derwin James playing a majority of games and you did not make an expanded playoff field where very mediocre teams did?

Staley isn't judged by year one only but the argument and no portion of it at all certainly ain't trending in his favor
                        Who the hec is Smoke?
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

You need look no farther then the San Diego Chargers in 2013: young head coach and experienced offensive coordinator;
                          or consider the 2017 Chargers: young head coach, two experienced coordinators.

I do not feel confident with Staley, Lombo, Hill and the kool-aid dispenser returning next year.

Comment

Working...
                          X