X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
    In one of the other threads it was mentioned we could still be the west champs if we win out and kc loses 2. I didnt give it much real thought but with Kelce and Hill out Pitt may just have a shot at beating them as their 2nd tier guys really arent all that great.

kc has Cincy next up which is no slouch of a team at Cincy.

Last game at Denver. Kc might just have to play Mahomes if they lost either Pitt or Cincy and we beat out Texans and Denver to try to keep the division.

I had given up hope on the West title but todays results will really dictate if we have a legit shot at the division folks. Strange things are abrew at the Circle K.
    Hill was activated off of the Covid-19 list. He is expected to play against PIT today.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Only five QBs have thrown for +4,300 yards this season, and three of them are in the AFC West. Herbert (4,394), Carr (4,363), and Mahomes (4,310). Conceivably they could all have 5,000 yard seasons. Has any division ever had 3 QBs throw for +4,000 yard seasons before? If the Broncos get a real QB next season, it could be interesting.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I know he is just a kid really. But you would think after what Ruggs did, it would put the fear of God in you. At least for the rest of the season.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

For those who want Staley to bring Fangio over when he gets fired, I really don't see that happening because:

1. Staley has to demonstrate some loyalty to his coordinators and Hill only had one season and Staley called the plays
            2. Fangio might not want to be second fiddle to his former pupil and he and Staley are sure to clash over the designs and game plans.

But forgetting that, here is an article with some interesting data on Fangio's Bronco defenses since he took over. I was pretty surprised when I read it.

TG

BY JAMES MERILATT
            DenverFan

On Monday, Vic Fangio met the media to talk about the Broncos latest loss. In the process, Denver’s head coach rattled off his normal array of excuses and tossed plenty of people under the bus.

He let everyone know that they need to call better plays in the red zone, execute better on special teams and catch some breaks when it comes to personnel. Fangio said the Broncos were “close” to getting over the hump, while also offering nearly a dozen things the team needs to improve.

It was a dizzying performance, a rapid-fire attempt to save his own hide. It might just work, as the Broncos are still allegedly undecided about what to do with their head coach after the season. Someone will be the scapegoat, but it might not be Fangio.

That’s because he’s executing a master class in passing the buck. He’s positioning himself as the victim, given how good his defense has been. The Fangio propaganda is out there, as many people are buying that he’s somehow not to blame for offensive and special teams woes.

During his press conference, however, Fangio inadvertently threw himself under the bus. He poked holes in his defense. He explained how it’s a bit of a mirage.

On the surface, the Broncos appear to have a very good defense. They’re third in points allowed and ninth in yards allowed. That’s resume-building stuff for a defensive “guru” like Fangio.

But there’s more to defense than those two stats. There are situational things that are often the difference between winning and losing. And the head coach knows it.

“Finding a way to get off the field defensively one or two more times on third down,” Fangio offered when explaining what his defense could do better. “Get another takeaway or two.”

It sounds like a vague, throw-away comment. But there’s substance to it.

The Broncos are currently 20th in terms of drive length. They aren’t very good at getting off the field, allowing opponents to hold the ball for extended periods of time. In part, that’s because they aren’t very good on third downs, as Fangio mentioned.

In addition, the Broncos are also 19th in turnovers forced. Through 16 games, they’ve forced just 19 turnovers. That continues a trend of the Fangio era. During the head coach’s tenure, his teams have forced 52 turnovers in 48 games. That’s not going to cut it, as the head coach pointed out.

Perhaps most alarming, however, is the fact that the Broncos defense doesn’t really stop anyone. They’re currently 29th in percentage of opponents’ drives ending in an offensive score. In other words, they’re good at making teams take a long time to score, but not preventing them from getting into the end zone or kicking a field goal.

When it comes to listing the Broncos problems, it’s easy to point the finger at the team’s offense and/or their special teams. But that’s letting one of the main culprits off the hook.

The Broncos defense is a part of the issue too. And Vic Fangio knows it.
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              For those who want Staley to bring Fangio over when he gets fired, I really don't see that happening because:

1. Staley has to demonstrate some loyalty to his coordinators and Hill only had one season and Staley called the plays
              2. Fangio might not want to be second fiddle to his former pupil and he and Staley are sure to clash over the designs and game plans.

But forgetting that, here is an article with some interesting data on Fangio's Bronco defenses since he took over. I was pretty surprised when I read it.

TG

BY JAMES MERILATT
              DenverFan

On Monday, Vic Fangio met the media to talk about the Broncos latest loss. In the process, Denver’s head coach rattled off his normal array of excuses and tossed plenty of people under the bus.

He let everyone know that they need to call better plays in the red zone, execute better on special teams and catch some breaks when it comes to personnel. Fangio said the Broncos were “close” to getting over the hump, while also offering nearly a dozen things the team needs to improve.

It was a dizzying performance, a rapid-fire attempt to save his own hide. It might just work, as the Broncos are still allegedly undecided about what to do with their head coach after the season. Someone will be the scapegoat, but it might not be Fangio.

That’s because he’s executing a master class in passing the buck. He’s positioning himself as the victim, given how good his defense has been. The Fangio propaganda is out there, as many people are buying that he’s somehow not to blame for offensive and special teams woes.

During his press conference, however, Fangio inadvertently threw himself under the bus. He poked holes in his defense. He explained how it’s a bit of a mirage.

On the surface, the Broncos appear to have a very good defense. They’re third in points allowed and ninth in yards allowed. That’s resume-building stuff for a defensive “guru” like Fangio.

But there’s more to defense than those two stats. There are situational things that are often the difference between winning and losing. And the head coach knows it.

“Finding a way to get off the field defensively one or two more times on third down,” Fangio offered when explaining what his defense could do better. “Get another takeaway or two.”

It sounds like a vague, throw-away comment. But there’s substance to it.

The Broncos are currently 20th in terms of drive length. They aren’t very good at getting off the field, allowing opponents to hold the ball for extended periods of time. In part, that’s because they aren’t very good on third downs, as Fangio mentioned.

In addition, the Broncos are also 19th in turnovers forced. Through 16 games, they’ve forced just 19 turnovers. That continues a trend of the Fangio era. During the head coach’s tenure, his teams have forced 52 turnovers in 48 games. That’s not going to cut it, as the head coach pointed out.

Perhaps most alarming, however, is the fact that the Broncos defense doesn’t really stop anyone. They’re currently 29th in percentage of opponents’ drives ending in an offensive score. In other words, they’re good at making teams take a long time to score, but not preventing them from getting into the end zone or kicking a field goal.

When it comes to listing the Broncos problems, it’s easy to point the finger at the team’s offense and/or their special teams. But that’s letting one of the main culprits off the hook.

The Broncos defense is a part of the issue too. And Vic Fangio knows it.
              Seeing the third down stat made me laugh. Sounds like a scheme issue of the defense since we have it even worse.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Seeing the third down stat made me laugh. Sounds like a scheme issue of the defense since we have it even worse.
                Broncos fans want to let their CB Callahan go where a few in here want us to sign him. I'll assume because he is in the same defensive scheme but apparently he isn't doing that great.

He is a No for me to sign as is resigning CHJ. He has lost a step and overall hasn't been very good.

I have also had the thought that Fangio may not come here as it pushes Hill to another coaching position and the reason he came here was to be the DC here.

We'll see

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Broncos and Fangio. To my knowledge, I'm the only Vic Fangio honk here.

The biggest reason for Spanos to move on hiring Fangio, or Ed Dontell, is salary off-sets.

It took Vic Fangio four years to build the 2018 Bears defense. But Vic is not going to turn it around in Year Four with Sam Howell or Kenny Pickett, or Malik Willis at QB. If the Broncos go big and trade for Aaron Rodgers, that changes the math.

I expect the Broncos to trade for Rodgers and that would be according to Rodgers' plan of winning a second Super Bowl in GB and being traded to another organization. With Denver being the best landing spot.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Broncos fans want to let their CB Callahan go where a few in here want us to sign him. I'll assume because he is in the same defensive scheme but apparently he isn't doing that great.

He is a No for me to sign as is resigning CHJ. He has lost a step and overall hasn't been very good.

I have also had the thought that Fangio may not come here as it pushes Hill to another coaching position and the reason he came here was to be the DC here.

We'll see
                    I am only one mentioning both Chris Harris and Callahan. The Broncos are getting younger at the position after drafting Surtain, Caden Sterns developing, and bringing in Kyle Fuller. Staley worked with these players and knows what they have in the tank. This is the NFL, where one man's trash is another man's treasure.

As far as Renaldo Hill, his squad allowed the most points in the history of the league in the 4th Quarter the past 16 games in his first season and the Chargers might have an opportunity to jump on Vic Fangio, who might come on the market with salary off-sets? I do that 10/10 times.

I assign Hill to assistant head coach and OLB coach. Hill has a chance to learn from the master, Vic.

2021 4th Quarter POINTS.jpeg

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I am only one mentioning both Chris Harris and Callahan. The Broncos are getting younger at the position after drafting Surtain, Caden Sterns developing, and bringing in Kyle Fuller. Staley worked with these players and knows what they have in the tank. This is the NFL, where one man's trash is another man's treasure.

As far as Renaldo Hill, his squad allowed the most points in the history of the league in the 4th Quarter the past 16 games in his first season and the Chargers might have an opportunity to jump on Vic Fangio, who might come on the market with salary off-sets? I do that 10/10 times.

I assign Hill to assistant head coach and OLB coach. Hill has a chance to learn from the master, Vic.

2021 4th Quarter POINTS.jpeg
                      I've seen a couple others here mention Callahan before.

Kyle Fuller has been awful for Denver this year. He was on a 1 year deal and likely won't be back.

I rarely go to others forums but wanted to read some comments on our game and yeah, some were saying Callahan, Fuller and another I forget should not be be brought back.

I don't think you mentioned him as someone you want to sign, I'm just saying. He got 9 mil to stink it up there.

And I'd take Fangio in a heart beat as DC just not sure how Hill would feel about it is all in saying.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

The biggest reason for Spanos to move on hiring Fangio, or Ed Dontell, is salary off-sets.

It took Vic Fangio four years to build the 2018 Bears defense. But Vic is not going to turn it around in Year Four with Sam Howell or Kenny Pickett, or Malik Willis at QB. If the Broncos go big and trade for Aaron Rodgers, that changes the math.

I expect the Broncos to trade for Rodgers and that would be according to Rodgers' plan of winning a second Super Bowl in GB and being traded to another organization. With Denver being the best landing spot.
                        Rodgers isn't leaving GB. Rodgers would be a fool to leave his division and come to the AFC West and have 2 games a year with Hebert, Mahomes and Carr when he has Goff or a rookie from a weak draft class QB, Cousins and Fields. He has owned that division.

Wilson maybe. Watson no and IF he is traded, Miami already worked out compensation with Houston for him.

Maybe Denver trades for Baker lol.

Comment

• captaind
                          Cook This Pork Chops
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Mars
                          • Ball Holder
                          • Send PM

I expect them to make a strong play for Russell Wilson....although I'm not privy to this no trade clause and what's involved.

NFL Insider on the future of Russell Wilson in Seattle | CBS Sports HQ - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                          X