• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Did you watch that video? If not, you should.

They are totally manipulating it. Even the Ex exec says they need to put a cap on the cash over cap part of it. The Rams just signed two players totalling 205 mil. Haven't signed OBJ yet. The Bill coming due is cash paid to those players by the owner who can afford to pay it.

People say you can't keep doing but the Rams keep doing it. KC seems to do it and so does Jerrah.
    I didn’t see the video. But I don’t believe that a rich owner makes that big of a difference when you have a hard cap. The Rams signed two star players and let 5 others leave. They just cut their backup ILB to save $2.5 million. They traded away Robert Woods to save money. Donald’s new contract is designed to save them money when he retires. It’s a short 2 year window plan.

Have you also noticed that the Chiefs aren’t as active this offseason outside of trading away Hill for picks? They’re letting things settle down this year to save money.

Edit: read what I quoted earlier again. It’s a great explanation and any team can do it, rich owner or not.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I didn't really follow how they can keep kicking the can down the road without entering cap hell, but it appears there is a loophole that needs to be closed. The Chargers won't be able to compete once they have to pay Herbert. The Spanoses are one of the cash poorest owners in the league. I was wondering how the Rams could afford to give Donald that deal, with all the cap they have invested in Stafford and Goff.
      If your paying cash now and applying It to the cap 3 years down the road, your apparent cap now is what the cap will be 3 years down the road.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I didn't really follow how they can keep kicking the can down the road without entering cap hell, but it appears there is a loophole that needs to be closed. The Chargers won't be able to compete once they have to pay Herbert. The Spanoses are one of the cash poorest owners in the league. I was wondering how the Rams could afford to give Donald that deal, with all the cap they have invested in Stafford and Goff.
        It’s the way the contract is structured for all three.
        Basically the Rams optimal window is these next 2 seasons.

I'm not sure if Kupp's $ changes at all for the next 2 years, but he was only due 31.5 million over the next 2 years left on his preexisting deal.

Stafford's total cap hit for the next 2 years is only 33.5 million

Donald is only accounting for a cap hit of 24 million this year which shoots up to 38 million in 2023, but like I said Stafford and Kupp will still be "cheap" in 2023.

In 2024 is when Stafford's cap hit climbs from 20 million to 49.5 million and when Kupp's extension he just signed will kick in, but Donald's cap # comes down from 38 to a little over 31 million by then and that could be the last season before he hangs it up, so good chance he'll be coming off the books in 2025 when Kupp and Stafford will probably account for like 80 million of the cap or so and by then the amount of cap space with the new Sunday ticket deal and tv rights will have sky rocketed.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

If your paying cash now and applying It to the cap 3 years down the road, your apparent cap now is what the cap will be 3 years down the road.
          You can also spread the cap hit over the 3 years. And you can do it up to 5 years.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

What the Rams are doing isn’t rocket science. This article explains it pretty well but they spend a lot on their main stars, let go of their other role players, replenish said role players through the 3rd through 7th round, and also structure contracts a certain way for external FA to get out of them early. The Bobby Wagner deal for example is really only a two year deal worth $10 million. Everything they’re doing now is for a short window before their major pieces decline or retire. At that point, I wouldn’t be surprised if McVay leaves for an analyst job.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Did you watch that video? If not, you should.

They are totally manipulating it. Even the Ex exec says they need to put a cap on the cash over cap part of it. The Rams just signed two players totalling 205 mil. Haven't signed OBJ yet. The Bill coming due is cash paid to those players by the owner who can afford to pay it.

People say you can't keep doing but the Rams keep doing it. KC seems to do it and so does Jerrah.
              Nothing he said was remotely new or unknown and not a "loophole". Every dollar spent goes to the cap at some point. If they could break that 1:1 ratio, that would be a loopehole. Like an intentionally defective grantor trust or something.

They let their mid tier players go after their rookie contracts and develop new ones. That's smart. Plus they get comp picks in return. Once you get a pipeline established you don't have to fill needs and can focus on long term development. They've had McVay for 5 years now.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Totally agree.

But…what happens when we play a top offense, the game is close all around, the D puts us in position to score, and we don’t? Only asking cuz it happened as often as not, and it looks like the only big addition to our O is gonna be a rookie OG. I want to believe, but I also don’t buy Schofield as the reason we lost games late, as poor as he played overall.

The D needed a historic makeover, and got it. The O needs to take the next step, whatever it is, I dunno, the last ten minutes of football we played was like the season in a micro prism, good and bad. And we couldn’t beat the Raiders (whom many predict to be in the AFCW cellar this year). Unless the new D is so damn good every game is like Hulk smash, we will face shootouts, likely six in our own division. Really hoping the new D doesn’t give up those winning drives, and Herbie and co. capitalize. It’s a long road to the SB, let’s play the games.

EDIT: thank effing god TT re-signed MWill, he made the winning play in the most of those late game Ws for us. Very happy he’s back, provides some hope.
                They added Everett and Spiller too. Maybe Horvath too though i need to see him play against NFL players.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                  Making roster build decisions off one drive is foolish, regardless.
                  This. Harping on one FG vs TD in the course of a 17 game season is bizarre. The aggregate numbers are so glaring they could blind. Top Offense. Bottom Defense. Period.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                    I didn’t see the video. But I don’t believe that a rich owner makes that big of a difference when you have a hard cap. The Rams signed two star players and let 5 others leave. They just cut their backup ILB to save $2.5 million. They traded away Robert Woods to save money. Donald’s new contract is designed to save them money when he retires. It’s a short 2 year window plan.

Have you also noticed that the Chiefs aren’t as active this offseason outside of trading away Hill for picks? They’re letting things settle down this year to save money.

Edit: read what I quoted earlier again. It’s a great explanation and any team can do it, rich owner or not.
                    Chief's have brought in some nice players this offseason: a bonanza for a typical Charger off season: but unlike the Rams, at least they cleared some cap space.

Its just bonkers for the Rams:
                    they lost Woods but signed Allen Robinson to a Mike William's-like contract,
                    they signed Bobby Wagner to a five year contract,
                    they resigned Joseph Noteboom to a large contract,
                    they'll bring in OBJ mid season.

They are in cap hell and still are competitive with Charger signings in a once in a blue moon Charger off season with a qb in his rookie contract.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Chief's have brought in some nice players this offseason: a bonanza for a typical Charger off season: but unlike the Rams, at least they cleared some cap space.

Its just bonkers for the Rams:
                      they lost Woods but signed Allen Robinson to a Mike William's-like contract,
                      they signed Bobby Wagner to a five year contract,
                      they resigned Joseph Noteboom to a large contract,
                      they'll bring in OBJ mid season.

They are in cap hell and still are competitive with Charger signings in a once in a blue moon Charger off season with a qb in his rookie contract.
                      The Chiefs’ biggest signing was Justin Reid. Everyone else is mid to low tier, especially the WRs brought in to try to replace Hill.

And the Rams aren’t in cap hell. Also it’s a little misleading to say they signed Wagner to a five year deal, when it’s really only 2 years for $10 million. Their biggest splashes were internally to try to free up cap space this year. It’s not really wonkers at all if you follow what they’ve been doing.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Then I suggest you watch the video and see if you feel the same way.

I read what you posted. I still suggest the video. That is coming from a ex team executive from the Packers I believe.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Then I suggest you watch the video and see if you feel the same way.

I read what you posted. I still suggest the video. That is coming from a ex team executive from the Packers I believe.
                          I just watched the video and I feel the same way. It’s because he’s not saying anything new other than using a new terminology in cash over cap. But the idea of signing bonuses and spreading it over a certain period is what a lot of teams have done in the past to get short term relief. The Saints being the best example before the Rams did it. Andrew Brandt essentially said the same thing in the end as what I quoted. The cap isn’t a farce. There’s just different ways to manipulate it accounting wise especially for a particular year. But it’s not the advantage you think it is for a rich owner. What does currently give the Rams an advantage is that there’s been no major injuries to their big 4 core players: Stafford, Kupp, Ramsey, and Donald. It allows them to let other role guys go, save cap money, and replenish the supplies with draft picks. And they’ve been successful at replacing the role players so far.

Comment

Working...
                          X