• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

It's a valid complaint about Telesco inability to find special teams talent for 8 season in a row and what appears to be the 9th season in a row if they don't turn it around.
    it's a 3 phase game.

9 years and you still have the same issues in the same spots every year. Kicker and Returner. Constantly failing at phase 3 special teams has been a major theme for Telesco teams and is part of why his rosters have been losing so many close games over the years. Those special teams yards and points matter.
    The HC also was responsible for the roster that was fielded on gamedays. Lynn and Mccoy didn't seem to know what they were doing a lot of times.

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    I looked at Andre Roberts stats and it looks to me like we're getting a 33 year old return man whose skills have greatly diminished in recent years. I think we'll find out that TT has made another mistake regarding our return game.
    I think this move is more of Staley's first hand. https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...ning-mean-nfl/

“In the kicking game, we can’t ask Justin to go 84 yards because the ball is on the 16-yard line because we have a bad return and now the crowd is going crazy,” Staley said.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

A one-year rental until we can get some younger legs and sure hands...either in the draft or FA...
      I look at it this way. This is not Donald Brown or Travis Benjamin or even a draft pick. Its a minimum level deal where he only gets paid if he plays each week. They can cut him in two weeks without any long term damage to the cap.

Granted he is 33 and maybe part of his decreased play is age related -- though he was solid with Buffalo last year. But hopefully he is just better than Hill.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

We still have Proehl on the PS, he impressed during preseason. Somebody else to throw at the wall, see if he sticks.

Hey, can Stick return kickoffs?

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          We still have Proehl on the PS, he impressed during preseason. Somebody else to throw at the wall, see if he sticks.

Hey, can Stick return kickoffs?
          Not a bad idea...Stick can return kicks, then use his passing ability to LATERAL the rock to someone else...

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Was actually vocal about wanting Patterson this offseason. Back end WR/RB. And stud returner. For 3M. Having a big impact on offense for the Falcons. Patterson and Fournette would likely be helping us. Both guys i really wanted. So this isnt hindsight. I get it its cheaper to draft those positions. But it only works if you get that right. Kind of never do imo. Thats why im past that. Im at the point where im just paying for guys who can do these things. OT as well. We just dont develop these positions that well. And they hurt us year after year.

Im only saying this because i feel every year fans are pretty good about knowing needs and expecting less than stellar production from the same position groups year over year. Might be the most informed fan base in the league just based on the fact that every season we expect the same crap from the same position groups. And it happens. Probably not a good thing imo. I would kill to interview Telesco myself. Im beyond "we have to do better"

Its just crazy to me that every season.....returner....kicking.....IDL....Run game etc....Telsco and the coaches go with mediocrity. I wish a reporter who covers the bolts would ask Telesco why they are ok with a bad kicker....a lack of return game....suspect run game after Ekeler....and Storm/Pipkins liability issues? As well as the lack of run stopping. Year after year. Why do we not seem to care about these things? Why are we ok with mediocrity. I would ask Telesco.....maybe even Staley...."Do you even know better?" "Do you not see it hurting us?"

Its crazy to me that Charger fans often seem to know what to expect more than our team. I hate saying that.

LOL sorry im just venting here. Im not looking for a debate. Dont take me too seriously with this post. But im just so over the same broken sections of this team year over year. Im a draft guy. I feel like i could get it right? I feel like the guys i like year after year go to teams and do as expected. But i just dont have faith at this point that these festering wound needs will ever be taken seriously by Telesco. He has had so many good picks. And they obviously help. Not that i personally think its tough to make calls on players that fall in your laps. But i just wonder if sometimes its a philosophical belief that our 3rd OT....kicker....returner....DT.....etc is not viewed as important. Back up RB as well. McKitty? Over Hubbard or Stevenson? Lets stop wasting picks on positions that are usually pretty easy to draft.

I actually didnt expect to be 4-2 1/3 of the way into the season. I thought the schedule was really tough. Im beyond ecstatic to be sitting here at 4-2. And really good teams have shitty games on any given sunday. That team we saw against the Ravens is better than that. Im stunned Staley didnt take away the hashes. Jackson lives there. But for as cerebral and intelligent Staley is....players have to execute. Perfect storm of key players all playing bad on the same day. Much better days ahead.

But every year we are scratching our heads at these positions. And im losing faith we can ever get it right. This kid on the Ravens Practice squad. Jake Verity was expected to net a draft pick in return. He literally gave Tucker a run for his money in camp and pre. Ravens have a history of developing good kickers. Id look at that kid as he is unprotected. But if we do nothing at kicker....this is essentially the point im trying to make in general. Just the idea we are ok with mediocrity.
            well said... I agree......

The great organizations do not stop adding talent even when they think they have one good player at that position. Ravens have best kicker in football, yet they used a roster spot on practice squad on a young talented kicker.....

Chargers have one good DE, Bosa, so obviously we dont need additional pass rushers???

Chargers have one good RB in Ekler, so we dont need any others?

and this is true of almost every position....

There are teams that have multiple high picks on their OL's and DL's..... 49ers last year had 5 first round DL's/pass rushers....Chargers have one.....2 if you count Tillery who has not become the player expected....

Teams like Ravens, Chiefs, Patriots, etc when they have injuries, they make trades and add FA talent to keep their teams winning..... they dont just say "oh well...we have already made our bed.... wait till next year".....like Chargers usually do....

Chargers seem to have always had a ..."just good enough" idea for player acquisition.....

Its amazing it took them this long to get a real KR/PR..... Hill does not cut it.... has no explosive a ability....

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The HC also was responsible for the roster that was fielded on gamedays. Lynn and Mccoy didn't seem to know what they were doing a lot of times.

I think this move is more of Staley's first hand. https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...ning-mean-nfl/
              part of that are bad returns of balls kicked short.....the other part is stupidly bringing ball out of endzone instead of taking the easy 25.....which avoids, penalties, injuries, fumbles, and bad returns.... odds of returning past the 25 are slim and none unless you return against a bad tackling team like Chargers.....

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                The Precious
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Swinton inherited the most brutal job under the Staley Administration :lol::killme:

I said when he was hired that if we could just avoid the fatal mistakes like blocked punts and FGs it would be a improvement although it helps that Staley hates punting. Fix Viz or replace him and there’s another improvement. As for Roberts I’m willing to wait and see how he does sometimes a change of scenery does wonders for a player. I also see this as a positive sign for Telesco and I expect him to be more active if it works.

Staley is going to kill it in the next draft.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

well said... I agree......

The great organizations do not stop adding talent even when they think they have one good player at that position. Ravens have best kicker in football, yet they used a roster spot on practice squad on a young talented kicker.....

Chargers have one good DE, Bosa, so obviously we dont need additional pass rushers???

Chargers have one good RB in Ekler, so we dont need any others?

and this is true of almost every position....

There are teams that have multiple high picks on their OL's and DL's..... 49ers last year had 5 first round DL's/pass rushers....Chargers have one.....2 if you count Tillery who has not become the player expected....

Teams like Ravens, Chiefs, Patriots, etc when they have injuries, they make trades and add FA talent to keep their teams winning..... they dont just say "oh well...we have already made our bed.... wait till next year".....like Chargers usually do....

Chargers seem to have always had a ..."just good enough" idea for player acquisition.....

Its amazing it took them this long to get a real KR/PR..... Hill does not cut it.... has no explosive a ability....
                  You’re talking about allocations of resources. In which case the Bosa example is a bad one since we had Nwosu, and then bolster the depth with Fackrell in FA and then Rumph in the draft. It’s impossible to get pro bowlers at every position because of the cap. I’m also not sure RB was as big of a priority as other positions especially OL. Overall, I don’t think our approach is that different from the other teams you mentioned, except maybe KC. And I’m not sure what they did this past offseason was the most winning formula.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Not a bad idea...Stick can return kicks, then use his passing ability to LATERAL the rock to someone else...
                    I like the idea !

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

You’re talking about allocations of resources. In which case the Bosa example is a bad one since we had Nwosu, and then bolster the depth with Fackrell in FA and then Rumph in the draft. It’s impossible to get pro bowlers at every position because of the cap. I’m also not sure RB was as big of a priority as other positions especially OL. Overall, I don’t think our approach is that different from the other teams you mentioned, except maybe KC. And I’m not sure what they did this past offseason was the most winning formula.
                      sorry but Bosa was not a bad example.... Nwosu nor fackrel are great edge players....... sorry.... we have only one great front 7 player and that is Bosa.... but even Bosa makes mental blunders in this new defense......

the cap excuse is BS..... look at other teams... many of them have more good to great players then we do....... much of our depth are not even at a "solid" grade.......

BTW, RB is a always an issue.... EVERY team adds at least one RB every year...... and Chargers have made that a very low priority...... assuming a small RB like Ekler can be an all round power and receiving back who can be beaten to a pulp but stay healthy all year..... JJ is glass..... Kelly and Roundtree are ok, but nothing special...... Cleveland has at least 3 RB's better then ours..... so do SEA, 49ers, Patriots, Raiders, and others.........

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

sorry but Bosa was not a bad example.... Nwosu nor fackrel are great edge players....... sorry.... we have only one great front 7 player and that is Bosa.... but even Bosa makes mental blunders in this new defense......

the cap excuse is BS..... look at other teams... many of them have more good to great players then we do....... much of our depth are not even at a "solid" grade.......

BTW, RB is a always an issue.... EVERY team adds at least one RB every year...... and Chargers have made that a very low priority...... assuming a small RB like Ekler can be an all round power and receiving back who can be beaten to a pulp but stay healthy all year..... JJ is glass..... Kelly and Roundtree are ok, but nothing special...... Cleveland has at least 3 RB's better then ours..... so do SEA, 49ers, Patriots, Raiders, and others.........
                        Sorry but there’s a lot of wishful thinking in this post. For example, we were never going to get a good edge rusher in FA or the draft without sacrificing the more important goal of protecting Herbert. The cap is not an excuse. It’s real and the teams that respect it have consistently stayed on top including the one that just beat us in Baltimore. Please name these other teams that don’t respect the cap and have more good to great players than we do.

As for your RB argument, yes Cleveland does have two good RBs. But what makes them even more special is the offensive scheme. This is particularly true with the 49ers. Shanahan’s system has made a bunch of no name RBs look good. I’m not sure Seattle, Patriots, and especially the Raiders are good examples. I mean are you seriously going to use the team that couldn’t run on us on MNF as an example?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Sorry but there’s a lot of wishful thinking in this post. For example, we were never going to get a good edge rusher in FA or the draft without sacrificing the more important goal of protecting Herbert. The cap is not an excuse. It’s real and the teams that respect it have consistently stayed on top including the one that just beat us in Baltimore. Please name these other teams that don’t respect the cap and have more good to great players than we do.

As for your RB argument, yes Cleveland does have two good RBs. But what makes them even more special is the offensive scheme. This is particularly true with the 49ers. Shanahan’s system has made a bunch of no name RBs look good. I’m not sure Seattle, Patriots, and especially the Raiders are good examples. I mean are you seriously going to use the team that couldn’t run on us on MNF as an example?
                          Excellent post/response. I concur and it saved me from replying.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X