• Show
Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

My hope is that this guy simply knows when to take a knee and net us 25 rather than head out to be cut down 12 yards later. Think about it......you take a knee and have just completed 25% of the distance to your next touchdown.

Some things in this game can be simple.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Was actually vocal about wanting Patterson this offseason. Back end WR/RB. And stud returner. For 3M. Having a big impact on offense for the Falcons. Patterson and Fournette would likely be helping us. Both guys i really wanted. So this isnt hindsight. I get it its cheaper to draft those positions. But it only works if you get that right. Kind of never do imo. Thats why im past that. Im at the point where im just paying for guys who can do these things. OT as well. We just dont develop these positions that well. And they hurt us year after year.

Im only saying this because i feel every year fans are pretty good about knowing needs and expecting less than stellar production from the same position groups year over year. Might be the most informed fan base in the league just based on the fact that every season we expect the same crap from the same position groups. And it happens. Probably not a good thing imo. I would kill to interview Telesco myself. Im beyond "we have to do better"

Its just crazy to me that every season.....returner....kicking.....IDL....Run game etc....Telsco and the coaches go with mediocrity. I wish a reporter who covers the bolts would ask Telesco why they are ok with a bad kicker....a lack of return game....suspect run game after Ekeler....and Storm/Pipkins liability issues? As well as the lack of run stopping. Year after year. Why do we not seem to care about these things? Why are we ok with mediocrity. I would ask Telesco.....maybe even Staley...."Do you even know better?" "Do you not see it hurting us?"

Its crazy to me that Charger fans often seem to know what to expect more than our team. I hate saying that.

LOL sorry im just venting here. Im not looking for a debate. Dont take me too seriously with this post. But im just so over the same broken sections of this team year over year. Im a draft guy. I feel like i could get it right? I feel like the guys i like year after year go to teams and do as expected. But i just dont have faith at this point that these festering wound needs will ever be taken seriously by Telesco. He has had so many good picks. And they obviously help. Not that i personally think its tough to make calls on players that fall in your laps. But i just wonder if sometimes its a philosophical belief that our 3rd OT....kicker....returner....DT.....etc is not viewed as important. Back up RB as well. McKitty? Over Hubbard or Stevenson? Lets stop wasting picks on positions that are usually pretty easy to draft.

I actually didnt expect to be 4-2 1/3 of the way into the season. I thought the schedule was really tough. Im beyond ecstatic to be sitting here at 4-2. And really good teams have shitty games on any given sunday. That team we saw against the Ravens is better than that. Im stunned Staley didnt take away the hashes. Jackson lives there. But for as cerebral and intelligent Staley is....players have to execute. Perfect storm of key players all playing bad on the same day. Much better days ahead.

But every year we are scratching our heads at these positions. And im losing faith we can ever get it right. This kid on the Ravens Practice squad. Jake Verity was expected to net a draft pick in return. He literally gave Tucker a run for his money in camp and pre. Ravens have a history of developing good kickers. Id look at that kid as he is unprotected. But if we do nothing at kicker....this is essentially the point im trying to make in general. Just the idea we are ok with mediocrity.
      I acknowledge I do not watch every college game or full game video's on youtube or whatever. I imagine if I did and saw exactly how pathetic Telesco has been for us over the whole of his employ I'd go fucking bonkers with anger/frustration. How do you and others that really follow college ball stay as Chargers fans (knowing that there are so many misses on draft days over Telesco's reign) to this point? How do you stay loyal to an organization like that? Btw, kudos to those that are religiously into college football and ALL the players country-wide.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
        My hope is that this guy simply knows when to take a knee and net us 25 rather than head out to be cut down 12 yards later. Think about it......you take a knee and have just completed 25% of the distance to your next touchdown.

Some things in this game can be simple.
        Seriously, if I were the coach I would instigate $25,000 fines for anyone taking the KO out of the endzone unless it goes for a TD. So unless you are sure you can return it for a TD you better take that knee or fork over some $.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Seriously, if I were the coach I would instigate $25,000 fines for anyone taking the KO out of the endzone unless it goes for a TD. So unless you are sure you can return it for a TD you better take that knee or fork over some $.
          Make it $25,000 if you don’t make it to the 25 or further.

Comment

• Tomdutchy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2021
            • Send PM

Great move! Leave it to the Texans for boneheaded moves. How'did that Deandre Hopkins for David Johnson trade work out? lol

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              We still have Proehl on the PS, he impressed during preseason. Somebody else to throw at the wall, see if he sticks.

Hey, can Stick return kickoffs?
              Ive got Stick penciled in at Safety
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I’d waive the fine if they get to midfield. You’re a stern taskmaster!
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I’d waive the fine if they get to midfield. You’re a stern taskmaster!
                  Just trying to make it obvious what the correct decision is. Stay in the endzone!

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Playing STs is not that difficult. Its running down and tackling. Stay in your lanes and get to the ballcarrier. We had Stewart coaching it for years so ill contribute the lack of success to him. It actually looked better when Lynn reasigned him.

Not sure what is happening this year but the lack of Viz making kicks is the biggest issue. Just need better KO coverage. Dont know why other teams can get it to the 25-30 while we only get to the 10-15. Guyton looked awful trying to return that kick. Adderley has been good when he did it last year.

I know Telesco isnt the only one making these picks and UDFA signings. They have a staff and they agree on these guys. Staley is now involved too instead of Lynn. Maybe get some better scouts? IDK, but something is wrong there.
                    We were called for a penalty on the play, but one of Guyton's returns looked like the best one we have had all season long. I think Adderley is better than Rountree and Hill on kickoff returns, but is not as good as Guyton.

While I think Roberts is an established return man that should get his shot for us, it does not take a genius to foresee that Guyton's speed and excellent contact balance give him a chance to break off a big return for us with additional opportunities. I have not seen enough to know if he would consistently produce good returns, but the big play potential is there.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Staley on Roberts:

"He's exactly what we need," Staley said. "We need someone with experience that has a high level of production at the position. As recently as last year, and really the last three years, he's been extremely productive, and I know that our coaching staff has a lot of respect for his game."

Staley confirmed that the veteran returner will be doing both kickoffs and punts. He has returned five kicks for touchdowns in his career, but his best feature is getting good field position for the offense.

The head coach was asked if it was more about Hill not doing a good job or Roberts being too talented to pass up.

"I think we were looking for a new direction," Staley said. "I felt like for someone of his caliber to come available, that it was kind of good timing for both sides. I know that he's energized by the opportunity."

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

We were called for a penalty on the play, but one of Guyton's returns looked like the best one we have had all season long. I think Adderley is better than Rountree and Hill on kickoff returns, but is not as good as Guyton.

While I think Roberts is an established return man that should get his shot for us, it does not take a genius to foresee that Guyton's speed and excellent contact balance give him a chance to break off a big return for us with additional opportunities. I have not seen enough to know if he would consistently produce good returns, but the big play potential is there.
                        None of those guys are going to be doing kickoff or punt returns, because they're needed for their position group. That's why Staley brought in Roberts. Adderley is good on KO returns, but he needs to be reserved for defense as he's finally putting it together on that side of the ball. That Atlanta game in week 14 last year shows you why, he could get hurt.

Lets face it, the offense isn't that great. We know that Ekeler isn't the kind of back you should keep pounding the ball with the whole game, so Rountree is needed as he's probably the closest back we have to being the workhorse type. Teams are figuring out Allen and M. Williams, and the offense is prone to stagnation by just relying on them too much. Guyton has to prove himself quick or the lamentation of Tyron Johnson will grow.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

None of those guys are going to be doing kickoff or punt returns, because they're needed for their position group. That's why Staley brought in Roberts. Adderley is good on KO returns, but he needs to be reserved for defense as he's finally putting it together on that side of the ball. That Atlanta game in week 14 last year shows you why, he could get hurt.

Lets face it, the offense isn't that great. We know that Ekeler isn't the kind of back you should keep pounding the ball with the whole game, so Rountree is needed as he's probably the closest back we have to being the workhorse type. Teams are figuring out Allen and M. Williams, and the offense is prone to stagnation by just relying on them too much. Guyton has to prove himself quick or the lamentation of Tyron Johnson will grow.
                          Adderley has improved some, but I am not as high on him as some others are. I would say that he is now a decent safety, but I would not yet call him good. I agree with you about the injury thing as we lack quality depth at safety.

Guyton does a numbers of things well--receiver, ball carrier, returner.

The offense has the talent to be much better, but Lombardi's approach has not maximized our team's ability.

Comment

Working...
                          X