• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And not fair catch it inside the 10 on punts.

His knee is a bit concerning though. Hopefully it is better and he is just starting out slow missing so much time before the season.
    You know, the conventional thinking/coaching for years was no fair catches inside the 10 and it always bothered me when I saw the returner FC one inside the 10. I guess statistically, the odds of the ball going into the endzone for the touchback were higher than it being downed. That all changed when Darren Bennet came to the NFL and showed how to punt the ball in an unorthodox way that resulted in dead bounces and back spin. Now all punters have copied that and returners are no longer taught to let the ball go inside the ten. So I guess the data has changed with the new ways of punting?

Watching Hill, who seems to have zero explosiveness or quickness and limited speed, return punts it seemed like he was being coached to be as conservative as possible?

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

You know, the conventional thinking/coaching for years was no fair catches inside the 10 and it always bothered me when I saw the returner FC one inside the 10. I guess statistically, the odds of the ball going into the endzone for the touchback were higher than it being downed. That all changed when Darren Bennet came to the NFL and showed how to punt the ball in an unorthodox way that resulted in dead bounces and back spin. Now all punters have copied that and returners are no longer taught to let the ball go inside the ten. So I guess the data has changed with the new ways of punting?

Watching Hill, who seems to have zero explosiveness or quickness and limited speed, return punts it seemed like he was being coached to be as conservative as possible?

TG
      I think we know why Hill dropped to the 7th round. In college you can get away with not having the above as the players you are playing against probably do not have it either. But at the NFL, "that dog ain't gonna hunt" so to speak. I am glad the team is looking to address a weakness.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Yes, I am complaining but also pointing out areas that need improvement. Telesco can choose to not improve the roster. Or, he can look and see how much cap space he has, without having to change one contract, the extra draft picks and possibly try to IMPROVE the roster. The Colts today had to kick the can on TY Hilton just to get cap space to play out the rest of the year. Other teams have done this. Arizona had to create cap space to get Ertz. The Chargers do not need too unless they make a trade nobody sees coming.

So fine you want to say I am complaining - thats fair. But, like you said, the team is 4-2 and in first place, so why not try to make small strategic moves that will keep the team winning and in first place.
        It's a valid complaint about Telesco inability to find special teams talent for 8 season in a row and what appears to be the 9th season in a row if they don't turn it around.
        it's a 3 phase game.

9 years and you still have the same issues in the same spots every year. Kicker and Returner. Constantly failing at phase 3 special teams has been a major theme for Telesco teams and is part of why his rosters have been losing so many close games over the years. Those special teams yards and points matter.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

I remember when Roberts was in the draft. (I think it was the Citadel?)

I wanted us to draft him.

He's a good return man, and even if he isn't the top in the league, he's better than what we've been trotting out there the past 3 years.

He's not a horrible WR, either.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Playing STs is not that difficult. Its running down and tackling. Stay in your lanes and get to the ballcarrier. We had Stewart coaching it for years so ill contribute the lack of success to him. It actually looked better when Lynn reasigned him.

Not sure what is happening this year but the lack of Viz making kicks is the biggest issue. Just need better KO coverage. Dont know why other teams can get it to the 25-30 while we only get to the 10-15. Guyton looked awful trying to return that kick. Adderley has been good when he did it last year.

I know Telesco isnt the only one making these picks and UDFA signings. They have a staff and they agree on these guys. Staley is now involved too instead of Lynn. Maybe get some better scouts? IDK, but something is wrong there.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

It's a valid complaint about Telesco inability to find special teams talent for 8 season in a row and what appears to be the 9th season in a row if they don't turn it around.
              it's a 3 phase game.

9 years and you still have the same issues in the same spots every year. Kicker and Returner. Constantly failing at phase 3 special teams has been a major theme for Telesco teams and is part of why his rosters have been losing so many close games over the years. Those special teams yards and points matter.
              I am not a Telesco fan at all. I think after 25 years in the business - he should be better at his job

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am not a Telesco fan at all. I think after 25 years in the business - he should be better at his job
                Agreed

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

I looked at Andre Roberts stats and it looks to me like we're getting a 33 year old return man whose skills have greatly diminished in recent years. I think we'll find out that TT has made another mistake regarding our return game.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    I looked at Andre Roberts stats and it looks to me like we're getting a 33 year old return man whose skills have greatly diminished in recent years. I think we'll find out that TT has made another mistake regarding our return game.
                    Yep. Desperation move to get old damaged goods.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

A one-year rental until we can get some younger legs and sure hands...either in the draft or FA...

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Valid point unless his issue was related to poor special teams blocking with the Texans we probably getting the same results, and in a few weeks we'll be have a conversation who is going to be our new return guy.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

I don't think TT sees him as anything other than a stop gap for the rest of the season. Hill's biggest issue as a PR is letting so many punts bounce, not his lack of explosiveness. Would it help to have that? Of course, but the small difference in average is just not that big of a field position difference. Letting those punts hit the ground and roll for another 20 yards is a much bigger deal, killing our field position and greatly impacting the game.

Comment

Working...
                          X