• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Thats where I am at too. Nice thought - but will it happen, probably not
    Let’s worry about improving the defensive roster before worrying about our DC.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I don't care what he said.
      LOL. He’s the DC. You’re ignoring the Intangibles Spags credits him with bringing. And what he enables others to do.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

LOL. He’s the DC. You’re ignoring the Intangibles Spags credits him with bringing. And what he enables others to do.
        I've watched Mel his whole career. Imo he underachieved with us, and he didn't do a thing against us. I don't care about his intangibles. I wanted to trade him the year before his last with us.

He is a below average player now but if Spags wants to talk him up, great. So it allows Clark or whoever to move elsewhere. Mel will do nothing in his spot.
        Actions speak louder than words and he looks like the same Mel to me. The Steelers traded him because of his lackluster play.

But hey, believe what you want.
        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

I've watched Mel his whole career. Imo he underachieved with us, and he didn't do a thing against us. I don't care about his intangibles. I wanted to trade him the year before his last with us.

He is a below average player now but if Spags wants to talk him up, great. So it allows Clark or whoever to move elsewhere. Mel will do nothing in his spot.
          Actions speak louder than words and he looks like the same Mel to me. The Steelers traded him because of his lackluster play.

But hey, believe what you want.
          But K.C.s defense was a dumpster fire before he came aboard, no? Coincidence?

I think you focus too little on Ingram as a run stopper - hell yes, Chargers could have used that this year.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think you focus too little on Ingram as a run stopper - hell yes, Chargers could have used that this year.
            KCs defense seems to start out slow every year and their fan base wants to fire Spags and then they come on. Mel makes an occasional play and while he isn't a liability, he is nothing special. As mentioned before, Ford was lost as a DE and when they got Mel, it allowed Ford to move back to DT where he is much, much more effective.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Why are people talking about the defensive, when this thread is about someone on the offensive side of the ball? I wish the forum was better about this sort of thing.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

No.

They were a dumpster fire their first 5 games then it got better.

Mel has only been there 6 games before the playoff game and 4 of those were against the Broncos twice, Steelers and Raiders.
                Ben has been terrible and sure he did well against us but our defense is a bottom feeder.

With Mel we scored 28 on them in a loss and the Bengals beat them scoring 34.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
                  Why are people talking about the defensive, when this thread is about someone on the offensive side of the ball? I wish the forum was better about this sort of thing.
                  I agree, if someone wants to post about Lombardi and his approach against other defenses, I guess its ok, but if you need to post about the Chargers defense, try not to go there in this thread.

I really doubt Lombardi will be fired, but he might get very lucky and get offered a HC position.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

This thread was lame anyways. Lombardi is the least of our worries. Our offense finished 3rd or 4th in scoring, 5th overall.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

This thread was lame anyways. Lombardi is the least of our worries. Our offense finished 3rd or 4th in scoring, 5th overall.
                      Call it lame, but by a 14-9 margin, the votes are in favor of letting him go...I don't doubt that Lombo is an okay OC...could even work his way up to good with some changes...but remember, he had some great talent to work with (Herbie, KA, Mike Will, Ekkie) which no doubt helped our O place high in scoring...my issues with Lombo are mainly that he needs to adjust better vs. teams that stack the box, AND call more creative plays than Ekkie up the gut vs. a stacked box for nada vs. a stacked box...bottom line is he probably lost us a few games with his sometimes stubborn game planning and play calling...
                      Last edited by Topcat; 01-17-2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Here's why I hate polls on the site... not statistically valid and no one in charge will act on it. You probably can post any issue as a poll, and probably skew it so you get the answer you want. I get at the time the offense was stalling, but firing Lombardi at the time was not going to happen. Did Lombardi maximize the offense? Probably not. Can you find a better OC that isn't already an OC but will reset the offense to another that Herbert has to learn? I can't think of one.

I'd give Lombardi another year, and with some adjustments and experience by the trigger man and play caller, the offense will be better.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

This place cracks me up. Allen set a career high with 106 catches this year (7th in the league) for the second most yards in his career with 1138 yards (13th in the league) and the 2rd most TDs in his career with 6. He was doubled teamed a lot the past few weeks and "only" caught 14 passes and a TD. Yes he dropped a million passes, err 8, on the season. He is never going to be a blazing run after the catch receiver but he may be the best route runner in the league.
                          You know what shouldn’t crack you up? An offense that was absolute garbage for 3 and half quarters against the fucking Raiders.
                          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

Working...
                          X