• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I’m not saying he has to run as much as Josh Allen but with a guy like Herbert a designed run once in a while would be effective. What creativity did you see from Lombardi. What’s the identity? Who are the Chargers offensively? I don’t know. That’s why I’m asking.
    Did you not see my response? Also creativity is overrated. Just find ways to execute and be good.

Pathetic play calling in that beat-down by the Donks. Fangio's D pretty much totally smothered our short pass game, and ground game. Only about 4-5 pass attempts over 10 yards. U might as well fly a white surrender flag. No long pass plays to either Guyton or Mike Will even dialed up. Oh, I get that Herbie got pressured, but

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Oh I get it. That’s why I said fire Hill. Did you watch the Raider game? I won’t lose any sleep if the Yexans hire Lombardi
      We spent last off season building up the OL, and it seemed to have worked. Maybe we should try building up the defense before we fire Hill, especially since it’s ultimately Staley’s defense.

I wasn’t a fan of Lombardi either. But if he can make Herbert into a better passer by boosting his pocket awareness and mental processing, then that’s only a good thing.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

What do you think being interviewed for an NFL HC job means? https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-not-x-os-ceos

I think coaching interviews are guys selling a owner and GM on their vision of how a team gets from being the Chargers to a SB champion. You are buying the vision. But it also means you are buying how he implements it. Again, I don't understand how you think we got Staley, if he wasn't supposed to sell himself on his body of work.

Again I don't know what you think team building is supposed to entail? To me, it seems to mean selling someone on an integrated plan, which means you can't just mix and match and plug-in pieces (necessarily).
        It seems as though you are agreeing with me inadvertently. Even the article you link has the quote “it’s not about the ax’s and O’s.” His body of work was threadbare. He sold them on him and like you say his vision. But the guy has truly so little experience that he may have a great vision — hence the ability to kill it in an interview — but not the ability to execute on his vision. Get good experienced guys around him and maybe he can realize it. I’m sure the Bills coach has a vision for how he wants his team to play but he’s good 2 very good experienced coordinators to help. It’s not a knock on Staley. Yet. He obviously failed as a DC this season.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

It seems as though you are agreeing with me inadvertently. Even the article you link has the quote “it’s not about the ax’s and O’s.” His body of work was threadbare. He sold them on him and like you say his vision. But the guy has truly so little experience that he may have a great vision — hence the ability to kill it in an interview — but not the ability to execute on his vision. Get good experienced guys around him and maybe he can realize it. I’m sure the Bills coach has a vision for how he wants his team to play but he’s good 2 very good experienced coordinators to help. It’s not a knock on Staley. Yet. He obviously failed as a DC this season.
          With regards to McDermott, he actually fired his original OC after his first season in 2017. Brian Daboll was hired in 2018.

Comment

• Eurobolt
            *** Jim Harbaugh ***
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

I think they hired him because they thought he was the smartest best guy. I bet he interviews like a champ. They may have interviewed him based on what he did as a DC but I bet he got hired for what he said about team building or whatever in the interview. In any case, the bloom is off the rose as far as Staley’s defensive prowess. He ain’t that good. So I say again if the guy is smart and he seems to be and wants to keep coach g in the NFL he’ll get some help. Otherwise he’s gonna be the guy that went for it on 4th down sitting on a couch somewhere. And we will be the fans who saw another good QBs career wasted
            He said one of interview Q was how to stop Mahomes and explenation on how he scheme, build defence had to blow up JS and TT.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

The interview may not be about X's and O's, but that doesn't mean that the coaches aren't thinking and making their plans in terms of it.

If you are suggesting that the vision he sold is bad because he couldn't implement it and that he now needs to blow it up and go in a new direction, why do we need Staley to do it? Why would we want Staley to do it? It sounds like we need a completely new plan, not what was sold last year. Time to pull and etch a-sketch. and clean the slate and start over. (I am not suggesting that, just trying to point out the confusing logic). You can just as easily argue to Spanos and TT that they made a mistake by hiring Staley. If you are giving up on what Staley sold (his vision) you are giving up on him.

Conversely, it takes time to do anything that is worth doing. There were a lot of problems this year, and he has to learn from them. But that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the plan just that it didn't work this time around. The fact is even if Staley is the best coach in Chargers History, he will still "fail" (to some degree), way more often then he succeeds. Belichick has been the most successful HC in modern NFL, but in 21 years has won 6 SB, so most seasons he comes up short. The same is true of every coach. Yet, there is this feeling that he has to change everything because the D didn't work this season. New scheme, learning the players and installing the scheme and it didn't work. A lot of the new coaching staff's in the NFL are at the bottom of the ranking.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The interview may not be about X's and O's, but that doesn't mean that the coaches aren't thinking and making their plans in terms of it.

If you are suggesting that the vision he sold is bad because he couldn't implement it and that he now needs to blow it up and go in a new direction, why do we need Staley to do it? Why would we want Staley to do it? It sounds like we need a completely new plan, not what was sold last year. Time to pull and etch a-sketch. and clean the slate and start over. (I am not suggesting that, just trying to point out the confusing logic). You can just as easily argue to Spanos and TT that they made a mistake by hiring Staley. If you are giving up on what Staley sold (his vision) you are giving up on him.

Conversely, it takes time to do anything that is worth doing. There were a lot of problems this year, and he has to learn from them. But that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the plan just that it didn't work this time around. The fact is even if Staley is the best coach in Chargers History, he will still "fail" (to some degree), way more often then he succeeds. Belichick has been the most successful HC in modern NFL, but in 21 years has won 6 SB, so most seasons he comes up short. The same is true of every coach. Yet, there is this feeling that he has to change everything because the D didn't work this season. New scheme, learning the players and installing the scheme and it didn't work. A lot of the new coaching staff's in the NFL are at the bottom of the ranking.
                The vision isn’t necessarily bad, he just couldn’t deliver on it. So that’s execution. It’s very simple. He’s a rookie HC with a grand vision and lots of fancy talk to explain how he’ll get there. We’ve Ll heard his press conferences. He’s extremely articulate and talks a great game. He just couldn’t pull it off. If guys are getting to their “run fits@ as he said repeatedly maybe your “run fits” need adjustment. A good DC could help him with that.

the Belichick example doesn’t make your point at all. Everyone on this board would be thrilled with belichick’s record of coming up short. FFS. The guy makes the playoffs every damn year. And has been to almost 50% of the last 20 Super Bowls. Jesus. Staley closed the season losing 3 of the last 4

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

The vision isn’t necessarily bad, he just couldn’t deliver on it. So that’s execution. It’s very simple. He’s a rookie HC with a grand vision and lots of fancy talk to explain how he’ll get there. We’ve Ll heard his press conferences. He’s extremely articulate and talks a great game. He just couldn’t pull it off. If guys are getting to their “run fits@ as he said repeatedly maybe your “run fits” need adjustment. A good DC could help him with that.

the Belichick example doesn’t make your point at all. Everyone on this board would be thrilled with belichick’s record of coming up short. FFS. The guy makes the playoffs every damn year. And has been to almost 50% of the last 20 Super Bowls. Jesus. Staley closed the season losing 3 of the last 4
                  I'm with Jamrock here. If a better DC can make the defense more responsive that we gain 15% better performance game in and game out that would have made a huge difference in hotly contested games. You have to be able to delegate or your going to go down in burning flames. I think Lombardi's 10 years of experience actually helped Staley on the offensive side of the ball. He just needs better coaches to help realize his plan on defense and Special teams.

:nod:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'm with Jamrock here. If a better DC can make the defense more responsive that we gain 15% better performance game in and game out that would have made a huge difference in hotly contested games. You have to be able to delegate or your going to go down in burning flames. I think Lombardi's 10 years of experience actually helped Staley on the offensive side of the ball. He just needs better coaches to help realize his plan on defense and Special teams.

:nod:
                    If Vic Fangio's name has not been discussed in the building - thats just stupid

Like if Bisaccia is not the Raiders coach, and not saying he would work for the Spanii again, but he is a very solid ST coach

My guess, Staley and Fangio have communicated - even if just texting. But hopefully Fangio is being discussed. Also Zimmer too. Though Staley comes from the Fangio coaching tree.

Comment

• SDBORN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Like if Bisaccia is not the Raiders coach, and not saying he would work for the Spanii again, but he is a very solid ST coach

My guess, Staley and Fangio have communicated - even if just texting. But hopefully Fangio is being discussed. Also Zimmer too. Though Staley comes from the Fangio coaching tree.
                      Not sure about Fangio's experience in this area, but could he run special teams in addition to the defense if he were to be brought on?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Yeah, Zimmer don't make sense for us running Staley's defense. We just need upgrades in areas.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-16-2022, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah, Zimmer don't make sense for us for us running Staley's defense. We just need upgrades in areas.
                          And you make a good point - maybe more than coaching they just need better players. But, if you can get Fangio AND better players... that would be nice, real nice

Comment

Working...
                          X