Chargers @ Raiders Game Day Thread / Post Game Discussion (Wk 18)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDBORN
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

We probably would have been one and done...
    But at least, it would have been fun...
    It would have been a good accomplishment either way and some playoff experience for Herbert instead of simply heartbreak.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Herbert deserves better, he played hero ball on those two final drives, and he finished both drives with TDs. I've never seen a Chargers QB do anything like that. He looked dejected right after the winning field goal. I really felt for him. He played well enough to get this team into the playoffs. He finishes the season with 5,014 yards, 38 TDs and 15 INTs.

I don't know about Brandon Staley. His decision to go for it on 4th down on the Chargers 18 yd line was stunning. I'd like to see the analytics that say going for it in that situation is the right call. I don't believe it. I really don't know if he's really HC material. There are many good things about him, but there are some deficiencies too. Telesco and the Spanoses have to be a bit concerned about some of his decisions. I hope that Staley is able to grow as a result of the season and not make those mistakes next season.

I really think this team needs to retain Mike Williams, he is too good at crunch time. He's the best WR on the field in those situations. Don't let him go to another team, then have him come back and burn the Chargers like Hayward and Philon did or become a star on a team like the Patriots, like AP and HH.
      Great post! I’m concerned about staley since the second KC game, I still think he pushed it too far and cost the team that game.
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Moke
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I don't believe them. So Staley's TO all of a sudden irked the Raiders into wanting to win it more than before?

Huh?

I think they saw that Jacobs could get 6-7 yards without much effort so they decided to just hand him the ball no matter what. I think that was their plan all along, just feed him the ball and likely get into FG range. And in the off chance he get stuffed, then they can settle for a miracle FG or just take the tie and claim that was their plan all along.
        I think so, Jacobs averaged 5.1 yards for 26 carries. Easy call for the raiders.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by AZBolt View Post

Yes, I'm on the fence with Lombardi, but Rolando Hill has shown nothing to give any confidence at all......I hope Staley realizes Hilll was a mistake..
          After 17 games he has shown he can't manage players or train new players very well. In the NFL if your average or slightly below average your done before the playoffs even begin. He's definitely below average.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I don't believe them. So Staley's TO all of a sudden irked the Raiders into wanting to win it more than before?

Huh?

I think they saw that Jacobs could get 6-7 yards without much effort so they decided to just hand him the ball no matter what. I think that was their plan all along, just feed him the ball and likely get into FG range. And in the off chance he get stuffed, then they can settle for a miracle FG or just take the tie and claim that was their plan all along.
            The D handled Jacobs well early, but the lucky plays/penalties drained them and they fell apart at the end of the half. Just like the Chiefs game, they were gassed. Staley should have used the time outs earlier to slow down the Raiders.

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Carr said it changed their strategy. I take that to mean they ran instead of passed as he also said they did not want a tie and wanted to win. That seems to be being twisted into they were content with a tie and the TO changed their mind.

BTW, Staley called the timeout to change personnel and get the right run group in. Clearly he didn't put the right people in.
              The guys we had out there likely would have done just as well, or badly at stopping the run..... no need to call TO...... if we had beed able to stuff that run, the raiders would have run out the clock and punted chargers inside 20 instead of risking a missed or blocked 55+ FG..... Had they done that Chargers would have kneeled on ball and taken the tie and a playoff berth.....rather than risk a pick or fumble....oir safety, etc... ... calling TO made it so raiders possibly could not run out clock, if Chargers had stuffed the run.....

Comment

• SDBORN
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Great post! I’m concerned about staley since the second KC game, I still think he pushed it too far and cost the team that game.
                Spanos went cheap throwing darts hoping to hit again with an inexperienced head coach. We once again have to hope it pans out while Herbert's rookie contract is on the clock.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

You do realize that if we traded or let go he would become a superstar again with proper management.
                  Don’t think so. His hearts not in it. Next concussion he’s out. Trade him now and get a few guys

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

It would have been a good accomplishment either way and some playoff experience for Herbert instead of simply heartbreak.
                    This was a playoff game, for all intent and purposes. We now know that Herbert can put the team on his back... and he almost won it if he was perfect on his pass to Mike Williams in the endzone in OT. Shoot, if not for the Ineligible penalty, they would be in much better shape for the walkoff TD.

Comment

• AZBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

We were -1 in turnover differential for the season. Not great but the stats don't really back up this point.
                      Your goal should be +8 to + 12 not -1 your not a light contender losing the turnover battle.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Don’t think so. His hearts not in it. Next concussion he’s out. Trade him now and get a few guys
                        Man, sometimes he reminds me of Chris Long as an edgerusher. Highly touted coming out of college...certainly a good player with a long career, but not an absolute gamewrecker. I think Crosby was more disruptive tonight than Bosa was all season.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Dude received no rest. Should have been lightly used in first half of game with use of other defenders. By the end of the fourth quarter there was nothing left in the tank. We have a shit show DC who doesn't know what he's doing.
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X