Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

this is my roster heading into the draft.... based on previous post,

QB * JH10, Chase
    RB * Ek, Ronald/D'ernest * lookin' for day three developmental back
    WR * Keenan, Palmer, Cedrick * could be a round one to round this position group into top shape, minus the $19m
    TE * Howard, McKitty, Parham * still lookin' for a mid round value pick @TE
    OT * Rashawn, Feiler, Pips, Storm * unless Faalele drops, don't see us going OT early in the process
    OG * Jaimes, Oday, Scho * am hoping for Zion to fall to us @48
    OC * Linsley, Qberry * not keen on anyone in particular in the draft @IOL

NT * Shelton * think early day three/round four is where we'll be fishin' for another NT
    DT * Jones, BJ Hill, Tillery * my guess is that we might add an anticlimatic DT pick @the end of day three
    ED * Joey, Rumph, Dorance * there will be talent there @17, and decent additions available after that
    LB * Murray, Drue, Og, Niemann * think it's "suck for Sewell" for 2023
    CB * ASJ, Levi Wallace, Mike D. * don't have to be dependent upon the draft for a starter here as we can get a developmental prospect if that's how it plays out
    S * James, Nas, Keanu Neal * def would like to add a day three prospect here for depth

K * Koo * not lookin' kicker in the draft, but def on the watch for P
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The Chargers' pass defense, in yds allowed per game, was considerably better than that of the Rams or Bengals. So just as it was in 2021, it was more than good enough to get into the Super Bowl.
      They both had a lot more attempts against them. Yards / Att were nearly identical at 7.1 vs 7.2, which in itself still does not disprove your point - it just recalibrates it slightly.

I’m still back to there’s stats and then there’s my lying eyes. I saw every snap of every game, like you probably did. and every play is not equally important. Important plays and series define a team’s ability. Games where a good opponent NEEDED to pass on 3rd down or at end of game, they too often could. We had near worst 3rd down defense, and a lot of that was pass defense. We were not a bad pass defense but we were not a great pass defense and we should improve there. The fact teams crushed so many rush yards on us did affect the official pass yard stats. We were 9th in fewest pass attempts, 14th in yards allowed.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They both had a lot more attempts against them. Yards / Att were nearly identical at 7.1 vs 7.2, which in itself still does not disprove your point - it just recalibrates it slightly.

I’m still back to there’s stats and then there’s my lying eyes. I saw every snap of every game, like you probably did. and every play is not equally important. Important plays and series define a team’s ability. Games where a good opponent NEEDED to pass on 3rd down or at end of game, they too often could. We had near worst 3rd down defense, and a lot of that was pass defense. We were not a bad pass defense but we were not a great pass defense and we should improve there. The fact teams crushed so many rush yards on us did affect the official pass yard stats. We were 9th in fewest pass attempts, 14th in yards allowed.
        Biggest change in 2022 is the defense needs to get off the field

And you are correct - there were times I had basically zero faith the team could stop a third down from happening. The Chargers defense just could not get off the field. So its run defense and pass rush first and foremost to me that needs to be upgraded. So if you can upgrade from Jones and Nwosu in free agency -- do it. I don't think Telesco/Staley will be beholden to anybody on the roster.

We already know they need an upgrade from Joseph, Harris and the back up depth on the DLine

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
          The run defense was significantly better when Jones played.
          It still wasn't enough to improve the bad run defense. And Jones is very overrated.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

It still wasn't enough to improve the bad run defense. And Jones is very overrated.
            I don’t think he is very overrated, I just think he is an average lineman with nobody good behind him. When he didn’t play the vast drop off made it seem like he was better than he really was.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don’t think he is very overrated, I just think he is an average lineman with nobody good behind him. When he didn’t play the vast drop off made it seem like he was better than he really was.
              Very true. The data showed the team was better with him than without him. But like you said thats the depth issue. SO if Jones is back but Telesco signs an IDL that is BETTER than Jones plus adds better depth behind him, thats good. But if Jones is IDL1 - thats an issue.

Same with Nwosu - he was pretty inconsisent. I know I have allocated cap dollars to Williams, Nwosu, Jones and White - but I very comfortable if the IDL depth gets a pretty big turnover. I don't know if Nwosu or Jones needs to be back

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yeah, you're right. Can't argue with this at all.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Dalton Schultz - I'm reading the Cowboys' TE might be a FA target of Telesco and his boys. The 'Boys drafted him out of Stanford in 2018 in the 4th round. He was a development project, but looks like he's starting to blossom after his 4th season, where he posted 78 catches, 808 yds, and 8 TDs. I'm reading Dallas may not be able to keep him, the 'Boys are already way over the cap and they are already have Blake Jarwin under contract for $6-7 mil per for the next two seasons.

Schultz is 6-5, 244, kind of light for a TE, he's really more like a slightly bigger WR. (He only weighs 10-15 lbs more than Vincent Jackson did for example.) I don't know what he is like as a blocker, but he would be a really good target for Justin, much better I'm guessing than Cook. He'll turn 26 in July, acquiring him would give the Chargers an exceptionally deep TE room, and a young one at that.

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Dalton Schultz - I'm reading the Cowboys' TE might be a FA target of Telesco and his boys. The 'Boys drafted him out of Stanford in 2018 in the 4th round. He was a development project, but looks like he's starting to blossom after his 4th season, where he posted 78 catches, 808 yds, and 8 TDs. I'm reading Dallas may not be able to keep him, the 'Boys are already way over the cap and they are already have Blake Jarwin under contract for $6-7 mil per for the next two seasons.

Schultz is 6-5, 244, kind of light for a TE, he's really more like a slightly bigger WR. (He only weighs 10-15 lbs more than Vincent Jackson did for example.) I don't know what he is like as a blocker, but he would be a really good target for Justin, much better I'm guessing than Cook. He'll turn 26 in July, acquiring him would give the Chargers an exceptionally deep TE room, and a young one at that.
                    BINGO! It doesn't matter who the TE is, however the Chargers need to add a TE who will put up this sort of production. If Schultz could do it, and it looks like he CAN sign him. If he comes here and puts up subpar numbers then pass. This is the sort of thing we need to do. Give Herbert as many weapons as you can! as opposed to maybe adding an old LB and DE star free agent.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

BINGO! It doesn't matter who the TE is, however the Chargers need to add a TE who will put up this sort of production. If Schultz could do it, and it looks like he CAN sign him. If he comes here and puts up subpar numbers then pass. This is the sort of thing we need to do. Give Herbert as many weapons as you can!
                      I guess my only concern is his block ability. I have no idea what his reputation is in that department. But he is on the light side for a TE.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

I guess my only concern is his block ability. I have no idea what his reputation is in that department. But he is on the light side for a TE.
                        I am good with upgrading the roster but I do think certain positions take precedence. Schultz would be a fine addition as long as Telesco takes care of IDL and Edge in free agency.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

The Chargers' pass defense, in yds allowed per game, was considerably better than that of the Rams or Bengals. So just as it was in 2021, it was more than good enough to get into the Super Bowl.
                          W/L is the better metric. Then, look at how those loses happened, were we blown out or did we buckle at the end…

Comment

Working...
                          X