• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
    Boy I will tell you one thing and you can credit this to Telasco or not or to Staley or not. I just saw that the Chiefs Willie Gay got arrested last night. The Raiders have had 2 or 3 high profile F Up's this year alone. At least the Chargers (knock on wood) have not had to deal with crap like this. DUI's, domestic violence and the like.........no thanks!
    What took him so long?

Maybe Gay picked a fight in the locker room and took his emotions to some local club.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

"The future is bright": Translation: Staley is better than Lynn

"We just have a lot of work to do:" Translation: Staley made a few poor decisions, but he was still better than Lynn. AND, we need better players.

bs.JPG

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If they constantly got smoked, then its questionable as to whether they were constantly put in the right position....by the very definition of that statement.
          Staley's assertion of individually tailoring the D to player strengths might be smoke.

Davis, for example, was asked to do more than he was accustomed: he was fine in Gus Bradley's D. That doesn't mean continue with Bradley's D; but you start to question
          whether or not the D was set up for players to succeed. In Davis's case, obviously not.
          I don’t know about you but I watched them get smoked with my two eyes. Guys taking a wrong angle or getting swallowed up in the wash, flopping on the ground after whiffing as RB runs past or just plows them over and drags them for an extra 5+ yards. Receivers leaving DBs staggered with their dicks in their hand. I watched it all season long, not sure what you saw. Was every defensive set perfect call, of course not. We’re a lot of guys in a lot of positions and then just got beat … much more often to my eyeballs.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t know about you but I watched them get smoked with my two eyes. Guys taking a wrong angle or getting swallowed up in the wash, flopping on the ground after whiffing as RB runs past or just plows them over and drags them for an extra 5+ yards. Receivers leaving DBs staggered with their dicks in their hand. I watched it all season long, not sure what you saw. Was every defensive set perfect call, of course not. We’re a lot of guys in a lot of positions and then just got beat … much more often to my eyeballs.
            This. Honestly on some plays - okay, a lot of plays - it looked like guys didn’t know if they should, like, contain or tackle. Scared to be wrong, and then the other guy runs right over them while they’re thinking about it for that second.

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

These issues are very confusing to me. Do most players in the NFL require intense coaching in basic tackling and coverage techniques or do only the marginal players require them? Does Staley need to set a more hard-ass tone as a coach, if he is capable? Maybe a combination of these two issues? It was disappointing, to say the least, to see so much of this in practically every game. This team could really use another vocal leader on defense, ala Seau or Merriman.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If they constantly got smoked, then its questionable as to whether they were constantly put in the right position....by the very definition of that statement.
                Staley's assertion of individually tailoring the D to player strengths might be smoke.

Davis, for example, was asked to do more than he was accustomed: he was fine in Gus Bradley's D. That doesn't mean continue with Bradley's D; but you start to question
                whether or not the D was set up for players to succeed. In Davis's case, obviously not.
                The results were definitely disappointing. But consider that the same D was an overwhelming success the year before and it makes me think the issue is much more a lack of talent and/or players who fit the scheme he was trying to run, rather than the scheme itself.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                  *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

TT ducked multiple times the question about his 9 years tenure as GM answered always the same way only next year is important for me.

This is lack of respect to the fans from Tom who should have answered to that.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                    Day One...
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Brentwood, 94513
                    • Send PM

A. Donald had a lot to do with success of Staley's defense. Add the corner Ramsey to that, that covers 3 to 4 offensive players.
                    Don’t we have that with Bosa and James?

I think the glaring weakness is tackling and team speed. If we are going to be in dime, most of the time, with only 2 linebackers, the opportunity for opposing offenses to run is so inviting.

Maybe a bigger free safety to go along with James might help. I don’t mind Adderley, maybe see if he can play slot.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                      A. Donald had a lot to do with success of Staley's defense. Add the corner Ramsey to that, that covers 3 to 4 offensive players.
                      Don’t we have that with Bosa and James?

I think the glaring weakness is tackling and team speed. If we are going to be in dime, most of the time, with only 2 linebackers, the opportunity for opposing offenses to run is so inviting.

Maybe a bigger free safety to go along with James might help. I don’t mind Adderley, maybe see if he can play slot.
                      Maybe. But sometimes it takes time. The Rams defense took to Staley’s defense right away, while it too the Bears several years to get Fangio’s system down.

"Last year, when I was with the Rams, it happened quickly," Staley said. "When I was in Chicago with [former Bears Defensive Coordinator] Vic [Fangio], it happened over the course of really three or four years; that was when we really hit our stride. I think it took three seasons for us to be in the top-10 [in total defense], and then, that 2018 year, we were the best defense. I just think all timelines are different."

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                        Day One...
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Brentwood, 94513
                        • Send PM

I agree with that it might take time. But tackling is timeless. Get guys that love colliding with other guys and taking them down. Oh man, too bad Murray hype about that kind of thing, has disappeared.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                          I agree with that it might take time. But tackling is timeless. Get guys that love colliding with other guys and taking them down. Oh man, too bad Murray hype about that kind of thing, has disappeared.
                          That's why you bring in other players to compete with another player for playing time. So that the one guy who has their role doesn't get too comfy being in their spot that it makes them complacent. The guy behind him will push him to work harder, depending on how the coach decide how things are going to be.

Comment

Working...
                          X