• chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
    catch percentage of 59 percent.

how would he be without Keenan.... without a No. 1 taking away the secondary's best defender ??

ps. the top receiver catch rates are just under 80 percent and higher.... if you're gonna spend big money, @least spend it wisely/get value for your FA monies.
    Looking at just our WR's, how many of the passes thrown to Allen are 10 yards or less, how many of the passes thrown to MW are over 20 yards? Receivers who are used primarily for short passes will always have a higher catch rate. You'll also find that the QB's have a lower percentage on the long passes. MW is among the top receivers in the league on yards per catch.

As for the salary, we have a lot of salary space right now, and guess what? - it's not up to any of us to decide how to spend it.

It's possible that I value MW higher than he's worth but it's also possible that you under-value him.

My last point - his QB has come right out and said he hopes that MW will be back next season - if he's good enough for Herbert, he's good enough for me.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think you’re reaching with the first two points. I don’t think what he does in the draft has to do with what’s happening in FA. And Telesco also doesn’t always draft for need either. It’s just people get surprised when it’s not a need pick ie. Josh Palmer last year.
      Slater, Samuel, Adderly., Tillery, Fluker

Were all need picks. Some worked - some didn't. And I get, thats a small sample size. Herbert was a need pick but that is one where the talent sure was worth it

As for falling in love with players - I go to him trading up as well as picking players like Mager and Pipkins

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Slater, Samuel, Adderly., Tillery, Fluker

Were all need picks. Some worked - some didn't. And I get, thats a small sample size. Herbert was a need pick but that is one where the talent sure was worth it

As for falling in love with players - I go to him trading up as well as picking players like Mager and Pipkins
        But what does that have to do with the FA article though?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

But what does that have to do with the FA article though?
          Good point - I was just thinking in terms of his overall personnel building philosophy

End of the day - Telesco's record speaks for itself -- -
          under .500
          two wild cards
          zero divisions

So whatever he is doing -- with the coaching staff and front office - its not working compared to say Big Andy and the Chiefs the last 9 years he has been in KC

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Looking at just our WR's, how many of the passes thrown to Allen are 10 yards or less, how many of the passes thrown to MW are over 20 yards? Receivers who are used primarily for short passes will always have a higher catch rate. You'll also find that the QB's have a lower percentage on the long passes. MW is among the top receivers in the league on yards per catch.

As for the salary, we have a lot of salary space right now, and guess what? - it's not up to any of us to decide how to spend it.

It's possible that I value MW higher than he's worth but it's also possible that you under-value him.

My last point - his QB has come right out and said he hopes that MW will be back next season - if he's good enough for Herbert, he's good enough for me.
            I'm with you on that. The big question is how much money do you give to him ? I love MW but if he wants 25 M, it's an other story.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Good point - I was just thinking in terms of his overall personnel building philosophy

End of the day - Telesco's record speaks for itself -- -
              under .500
              two wild cards
              zero divisions

So whatever he is doing -- with the coaching staff and front office - its not working compared to say Big Andy and the Chiefs the last 9 years he has been in KC
              I think we try to address as many needs as we can in FA while keeping a stable salary cap. There’s obviously more flexibility because we have Herbert on a rookie QB cap. Something that we never experienced before because Rivers was already on his second contract when the 2011 deal arrived. The main issue with TT is talent evaluation. But I feel like some of it was also based on his HC input as well. Orlando Franklin comes to mind as a huge need but we also went after him because of the Mike McCoy connection. Will Staley help Telesco become better at this? I guess last year was definitely a step in the right direction for the most part with our internal and external FA signings.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

I think we try to address as many needs as we can in FA while keeping a stable salary cap. There’s obviously more flexibility because we have Herbert on a rookie QB cap. Something that we never experienced before because Rivers was already on his second contract when the 2011 deal arrived. The main issue with TT is talent evaluation. But I feel like some of it was also based on his HC input as well. Orlando Franklin comes to mind as a huge need but we also went after him because of the Mike McCoy connection. Will Staley help Telesco become better at this? I guess last year was definitely a step in the right direction for the most part with our internal and external FA signings.
                This is my total hope. As the free agent class Telesco signed for OL: Linsley, Feiler and Aboushi was solid. Granted, Aboushi was one of those where you hope you outplay the contract - but that happens.

I am hopeful of the same type of free agency (assuming the big 4 are signed): one bigger signing (Linsley) and one medium (Feiler ish) plus many veterans on various level deals
                Granted, Telesco kept a bunch of money to roll over - maybe he can use 3-5m more this year though and not roll so much please

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

I'm with you on that. The big question is how much money do you give to him ? I love MW but if he wants 25 M, it's an other story.
                  25m per year average sounds like an exaggeration, he’ll probably be glad to stick around for 15-17m per year. But to answer your question nobody is giving him anything, he’s worth what the market dictates he’s worth and he’s earned that value on the field. If the Chargers don’t pay it, someone else will be more than happy to, lot’s of teams want a MWs on their team. The kid never complains about lack of targets so that’s very very refreshing considering some of the other WRs of his caliber in the NFL.
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

This is my total hope. As the free agent class Telesco signed for OL: Linsley, Feiler and Aboushi was solid. Granted, Aboushi was one of those where you hope you outplay the contract - but that happens.

I am hopeful of the same type of free agency (assuming the big 4 are signed): one bigger signing (Linsley) and one medium (Feiler ish) plus many veterans on various level deals
                    Granted, Telesco kept a bunch of money to roll over - maybe he can use 3-5m more this year though and not roll so much please
                    The cap this year looks more normal than last year. So that’ll help. And given that last year was the only time in recent memory where they actually chose to roll over a decent sum, I don’t think we have to worry about them underspending again.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

The cap this year looks more normal than last year. So that’ll help. And given that last year was the only time in recent memory where they actually chose to roll over a decent sum, I don’t think we have to worry about them underspending again.
                      One thing that I just remembered - Derwin is up for an extension. HIs current cap number is 9m so they might re-do his deal. Not sure they need to lower the cap number - in fact it could go up a million or two with a new deal.

I think Telesco has a good deal of room to work with - will be fun to see who the internal signings are and who is targeted for the free agency frenzy days.

My spreadsheet shows that if Telesco signs the big 4, his rookie class -- and some other guys to bring back (Aboushi, Parham, Guyton, Hopkins, Roberts) - that he still has a good chunk of change to work with without having to be very creative

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Yep... MW is a big-game WR in the BIG GAMES the thing is since he has been here there hasn't been many big games. If Herbert has stated he wants MW back, MW comes back. Period.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

I'll help him pack his bags....Tag and then let him negotiate with any team he wants as long as we get some kind of draft pick in return. We already went through this with Melvin Gordon...

:wtf:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X