• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    USA Today's Tyler Dragon reports the Chargers "are prepared to franchise tag" Mike Williams.

The sides have until the March 8 franchise tag deadline to reach a long-term deal. Tagging Williams would cost $19 million and could prove the better route for an up-and-down player with a history of playing through injuries. The tag also buys time towards an extension that would lower the Chargers' cap hit. Williams, 27, set career highs across the board in his first year under Brandon Staley and is expected to return opposite Keenan Allen.
    Tag him. Let’s see a 2nd year of top production.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson reports free agent LB Uchenna Nwosu is asking for a contract in the $10-13 million range.

The Colts, Packers, Buffalo and the Jets have all expressed interest in Nwosu, who could still re-sign with the Chargers. Nwosu, 25, had a career high five sacks and eight TFLs as a first-timer starter in 2021 and may ultimately have to settle for a deal in the $7-9 million range. There's a chance Nwosu needs offseason surgery after playing through a torn labrum, but it's not expected to impact his free agent market.

Asking and getting are two different things. This is where the Chargers have to be smart about Nwosu. He did have strong play towards the latter half of 2021 but will that carry forward into 2022. Chargers need better edge play opposite Bosa as well

Defense needs lots of work
      IDL x 2 -- at least - I think two in Free agency (Justin Jones could be one of these plus a BJ Hill, SJD type) - plus the draft
      Edge - Nwosu or a FA type like Reddick, DAnte Fowler, if he were bigger, Gardeck from the Cardinals might be interesting
      Cb

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson reports free agent LB Uchenna Nwosu is asking for a contract in the $10-13 million range.

The Colts, Packers, Buffalo and the Jets have all expressed interest in Nwosu, who could still re-sign with the Chargers. Nwosu, 25, had a career high five sacks and eight TFLs as a first-timer starter in 2021 and may ultimately have to settle for a deal in the $7-9 million range. There's a chance Nwosu needs offseason surgery after playing through a torn labrum, but it's not expected to impact his free agent market.
        Even okayish edges get big money. Edge in the 1st is a real possibility if a top guy falls.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Asking and getting are two different things. This is where the Chargers have to be smart about Nwosu. He did have strong play towards the latter half of 2021 but will that carry forward into 2022. Chargers need better edge play opposite Bosa as well

Defense needs lots of work
          IDL x 2 -- at least - I think two in Free agency (Justin Jones could be one of these plus a BJ Hill, SJD type) - plus the draft
          Edge - Nwosu or a FA type like Reddick, DAnte Fowler, if he were bigger, Gardeck from the Cardinals might be interesting
          Cb
          It suggests that he is an ascending player that has started adjusting to Staley's system. If this is true, then $11 million seems like steal in 3 years. Structure the deal so that both sides are happy... and also Chargers are protected at the end of the contract (in case injury/drop off on production). It sure would be nice to have Uchenna signed by the draft. Then you don't have to be desperate @OLB. I believe there will be a nice EDGE there in Round 3.

I don't believe the defense "needs a lot of work". I believe we're 2 players away (CB, IDL) from being solid on defense. I never thought we would automatically be great on defense year 1. I believed that players would have to learn this new system.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Even okayish edges get big money. Edge in the 1st is a real possibility if a top guy falls.
            If everybody gets re-signed (my hope) then EDGE isn't our biggest need. CB and RT will be our biggest needs... and premium FA's @CB and RT aren't often available or cost efficient. I'd rather draft those positions. The cost efficient positions in FA are IOL and IDL. TT figured that out last offseason. Hopefully that trend continues this offseason.
            Last edited by Boltnut; 03-06-2022, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

If everybody gets re-signed (my hope) then EDGE isn't our biggest need. CB and RT will be our biggest needs... and premium FA's @CB and RT aren't often available or cost efficient. I'f rather draft those positions. The cost efficient positions in FA are IOL and IDL. TT figured that out last offseason. Hopefully that trend continues this offseason.
              Very true. We’ll see what happens with FA.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

If everybody gets re-signed (my hope) then EDGE isn't our biggest need. CB and RT will be our biggest needs... and premium FA's @CB and RT aren't often available or cost efficient. I'f rather draft those positions. The cost efficient positions in FA are IOL and IDL. TT figured that out last offseason. Hopefully that trend continues this offseason.
                If everyone gets resigned, EDGE is still a need and arguably a higher need than RT: 4th ranked O, 30th ranked D. No top player at any position comes cheap, just gotta pick your poison and hope your draftees develop into their promise (and save you FA $$).

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

If everyone gets resigned, EDGE is still a need and arguably a higher need than RT: 4th ranked O, 30th ranked D. No top player at any position comes cheap, just gotta pick your poison and hope your draftees develop into their promise (and save you FA $$).
                  I disagree. I'm much more comfortable with Nwosu @EDGE than I am with Pipkins @RT. I mean, RT will protect your franchise QB. There is nothing more important than that.
                  @EDGE (if Nwosu is re-signed) we need a guy that can rotate in when we're in obvious pass-rushing situations. I see several guys in the 3rd round that can do that.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

I don't believe the defense "needs a lot of work". I believe we're 2 players away (CB, IDL) from being solid on defense. I never thought we would automatically be great on defense year 1. I believed that players would have to learn this new system.
                    Last year the defense was last in the league on third down defense. It was 30th in run defense. This team needs another good corner other than ASJ, who still has things to learn. A CB who does well playing his man 1-on-1 would be great. The secondary needs more talent to work Staley's preferred scheme. The secondary needs more players who can cover so that it enables DJ to do more. Bosa has been a warrior but he needs help, and losing Nwosu is going to cause a hole that needs to be filled. Tillery is the only guy who is good at pass rushing on the interior, the hate he gets is ridiculous. This team needs as many pass rushers as they can get on the IDL and edge, because it's so frustrating watching just one or two guys doing all the work. The saying that you cannot have enough pass rushers is not a myth. This defense could also use better run stopping linebackers. No the defense is not "2 players away".

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

It suggests that he is an ascending player that has started adjusting to Staley's system. If this is true, then $11 million seems like steal in 3 years. Structure the deal so that both sides are happy... and also Chargers are protected at the end of the contract (in case injury/drop off on production). It sure would be nice to have Uchenna signed by the draft. Then you don't have to be desperate @OLB. I believe there will be a nice EDGE there in Round 3.

I think its more like 4. 1 CB, 2 DL, 1 Edge. And even that that doesn’t fix the subpar LB play … is Murray really going to develop? Will the switch go on? Beats me, he was lost in space last year.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Last year the defense was last in the league on third down defense. It was 30th in run defense. This team needs another good corner other than ASJ, who still has things to learn. A CB who does well playing his man 1-on-1 would be great. The secondary needs more talent to work Staley's preferred scheme. The secondary needs more players who can cover so that it enables DJ to do more. Bosa has been a warrior but he needs help, and losing Nwosu is going to cause a hole that needs to be filled. Tillery is the only guy who is good at pass rushing on the interior, the hate he gets is ridiculous. This team needs as many pass rushers as they can get on the IDL and edge, because it's so frustrating watching just one or two guys doing all the work. The saying that you cannot have enough pass rushers is not a myth. This defense could also use better run stopping linebackers. No the defense is not "2 players away".
                        I would draft Edge at 17 above all other needs if one of the elite 2nd tier ones we’re all watching is still there. Tier 2 looks pretty darn good this year to these old eyes.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Player #1) The 30th run defense led to being 31st on 3rd down. Fix the run defense. Get yourself Sebastian Joseph-Day in FA. He fits perfectly into Staley's defense. Linval wasn'r a fit. Draft a mid-round run-plugger and the DL re-build is done.
                          Tillery is what he is... IDL pass pressure. But he's poor against the run... always has been. If he's in there during running situations, then that's the coach's fault.

Player #2) Chris Harris is done. If we draft a versatile CB that can read/react/cover/tackle... we're top-10.

Am I saying that we don't draft depth in rounds 3-7...? No. I'd get me some depth at every defensive position... EDGE, NT, DT, LB, CB, S.

Last year's defense was more about schematic understanding than talent level.
                          Last edited by Boltnut; 03-06-2022, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X