Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Once you get passed the 3rd round, every pick becomes less and less likely to survive the NFL. Since we have only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds, which position can you not do without?
    IMO, one of those positions is RT. So which is the other position that needs quality depth (round 3)...? IMO, I'd rather have depth @CB, S, EDGE, and WR before I start thinking about RB depth.

IMO, Marlon Mack is not "quality depth". He has 37 combined touches the last 2 years.
    Justin Jackson has 168 touches over that same period.
    Neither is super durable... but the numbers in that category favor JJ.
    Even JJ's career numbers are better in regards to ypc. 5.0 ypc for JJ and 4.4 ypc for MM.

And, although a small sample size, we do know what it would look like if Ekeler is out.
    I know it was the Texans, but... JJ's stat line was 11 carries for 54 years (5.8 ypc) and 8 catches for 98 yards. 2 rushing TD's.
    I'm on record as hoping we bring back JJ AND draft a mid/ate round RB.

I don't know if you read the quote about Staley's running philosophy I posted earlier... but it doesn't sound as if the plan @RB is to draft a RB in the 1st or 3rd rounds. I suspect he wants to build his OL and secondary before worrying about a "complimentary" RB...
    Yeah, I was stuck on Mack because I knew he was available and thought he could be had for a song. Enough guys have posted similar to you regarding his health so I guess it's a good thing we didn't go that route.

I also agree that we should address our other needs with our first two picks. And I hope that's the way we go. I hadn't thought of the option of re-signing Jackson, but I wouldn't be against that. Maybe they could draft a 'gimmicky' RB in the later rounds and use him for some situational packages, while letting Jackson spell Ekeler. Or some late-round bruiser-type back. I don't know. At least we only have a little over 2 weeks to find out.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Jackson was a star that game, saw it with my own eyes. He was explosive and easily reached the 2nd level consistently. Would resign him to a team friendly deal.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

One last thought. The OL's ability to block (both pass and run) is super important.
        Najee Harris (the draft's best RB) only averaged 3.9 ypc last year. Steelers' OL is just not a good run-blocking unit.
        You had 4 RB's from last year's draft that made any meaningful contribution last year...

Najee Harris (pick #24)
        Javonte Williams (pick #35)
        Chubba Hubbard (pick #126)
        Elijah Mitchell (pick #194)

For the record, my mid/late round RB targets were: Kenneth Gainwell, Chubba Hubbard, and Elijah Mitchell.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Freak, would u be willing to use our 3rd rounder on a solid RB? Seems that using 4th and 6th rounders (Kelley and Rountree) isn't getting it done...
          Which RB's do you think are there (pick #79) realistically...?
          And which other players will also be there @#79...?

My lists suggest going CB, S, WR, EDGE over RB.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Freak, would u be willing to use our 3rd rounder on a solid RB? Seems that using 4th and 6th rounders (Kelley and Rountree) isn't getting it done...
            I would, and its a great discussion you guys are having on it. Here's my take:

It's a hell of a spot. By that I mean I fully understand how devalued RB's are in the passing league of the NFL today. HOWEVER, devalued means second or third rounds will get you quality. After that, the quality really drops off. These guys have been evaluated to the hilt. Their rankings are pretty solid. OF COURSE there are lower ranked players sometimes that rise to the top. We don't have time for "sometimes". ALL IN NOW !!!!

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Teams apparently value WR second after QB, which is crazy to me except we did just sign MW to an extension:

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerfreak View Post

I would, and its a great discussion you guys are having on it. Here's my take:

It's a hell of a spot. By that I mean I fully understand how devalued RB's are in the passing league of the NFL today. HOWEVER, devalued means second or third rounds will get you quality. After that, the quality really drops off. These guys have been evaluated to the hilt. Their rankings are pretty solid. OF COURSE there are lower ranked players sometimes that rise to the top. We don't have time for "sometimes". ALL IN NOW !!!!
                Yep...as u mentioned earlier, if Ekkie gets hurt, we are in real trouble rolling with JAG's like Kelley and Rountree...JJ is effective when healthy, but he's still a question mark in my mind...I say, draft a quality RB in round 3 (preferably a big bruiser for short yardage and red zone); OR sign a solid FA RB...then cut Kelley...give Rountree one more year to prove himself as a backup in the rotation, and if he can't cut it, cut him too...I'm done with drafting day 3 RB leftovers...

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

What he 'likes' is good, I guess. But the reality of the situation is he is a small-ish guy who really can't take the punishment year after year. Again, IMO. And he was injured two years ago for 4-6 weeks and where did that leave our running game? I agree, he *is* valuable, so it's in our best interests to use him wisely and keep him fresh and, hopefully, healthy.
                  Getting hurt happens on one play. Playing hurt can shorten his career.
                  His size isn't a problem. Ekeler is a freak of nature in his ratio of strength to weight with a frame that supports it.
                  We do need a RB who can replace him without too much fall off if needed, who can give him a break once in a while and provide some different looks.

Nabers or Everett is our short yardage thumper.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

A RB like Zamir White is likely available in round 4 and at 6'2 215 with a 4.4 40 will do as a compliment to Eks...
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                      A RB like Zamir White is likely available in round 4 and at 6'2 215 with a 4.4 40 will do as a compliment to Eks...
                      Rabbit hole, meet cement.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        Teams apparently value WR second after QB, which is crazy to me except we did just sign MW to an extension:

Also DT is heavily slanted toward pass rushing DT like Aaron Donald and Chris Jones.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Also DT is heavily slanted toward pass rushing DT like Aaron Donald and Chris Jones.
                          Where have you been bud?

Comment

Working...
                          X