• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Because Tillery is a below average pass rusher from the DT position and one of the worst run stopping DTs in the league.
    True. I believe Staley would like to give him a chance to compete for a slot as a rotational IDT pass rusher based on his length but it's step up in TC / PS or step out. This is a different base DL / Edge group so JT might find his special purpose.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

I think the positive thing with Tillery is, in terms of his technique, close to being a solid player. The downside of that same thought is he has been that way a while, he can't seem to get it all together.

I don't think they are necessarily going to give up on him yet. He is entering his 4th year, and you see players all the time who have done nothing prior to their 4th/5th season, then turn it on. It is usually noteworthy because then everyone is conflicted because of the new contract that has to be signed. Did the light bulb finally come on, or was it a motivation problem so that once a new (big) contract gets signed, the player is going to go back to their old, less productive self. But for that to be an issue, he has to play well first, and he hasn't really done that except for a play here or there.

I think you have to let the whole thing play itself out and see if Tillery plays well. If he doesn't, then the decision is pretty easy. We aren't going to get anything for him and we hope him the best as he moves on to another team, if he even gets that chance. If he does play well, a lot depends on how well he plays. If he really can put it all together, then he can be an every-down player who rotates with SJD and A. Johnson, while playing in the base front. If he doesn't, then he will get some playing time. However, if he regresses, then it is time for the team starts to think about getting rid of him.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

With Bosa and Mack taking up the majority of opposing OC's gameplanning, this is the best time for Tillery to bust out. Now or Never

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

What are the names of our "scrub" DL?
          That aside, I don't give a S*** about his past stats. He has to compete with the DL depth this year.
          This is not last year's roster.
          Are you saying that if Staley keeps Tillery, he is institutionalizing mediocrity and that the best LAC can do is 9-8?
          Bold prediction!
          Pretty much every IDL from last season was scrub material - lookit that, Staley thought so too, sent a lot of them packing and hired new ones. What’s weird is anointing anybody left with a roster spot. Will some get one? Sure. Tillery is getting weird praise. Don’t think he’s earned it, that’s all. If he beats out others and makes the cut, okay, but I’m not real invested in him either way, cuz he’s never shown much to get excited about. He’s the definition of a mediocre player, we relied on him (and similarly mediocre others) on the DL last season, they got beat like a drum game after game and we went 9-8. With the revamp I don’t expect that to repeat, but that’s cuz we aren’t having to rely on guys like Tillery.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Pretty much every IDL from last season was scrub material - lookit that, Staley thought so too, sent a lot of them packing and hired new ones. What’s weird is anointing anybody left with a roster spot. Will some get one? Sure. Tillery is getting weird praise. Don’t think he’s earned it, that’s all. If he beats out others and makes the cut, okay, but I’m not real invested in him either way, cuz he’s never shown much to get excited about. He’s the definition of a mediocre player, we relied on him (and similarly mediocre others) on the DL last season, they got beat like a drum game after game and we went 9-8. With the revamp I don’t expect that to repeat, but that’s cuz we aren’t having to rely on guys like Tillery.
            Thanks. I understand the above.
            The only reason I see Tillery being kept in 2020 is IF he lights it up in the weeks before cut-down. He still has the physical tools he was drafted for even if he hasn't made good use of them. If it's same old-same old with JT, see ya! We have guys who may be less gifted but want to contribute a lot more and will out work him.
            I don't trust JT either but if he shows up, Staley may want to give him a shot with the higher level D teammates.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

As of this Friday, we'll be two weeks away from players starting to report to camp.

Somebody wake me up when that happens, please.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                Day One...
                • Mar 2019
                • Brentwood, 94513
                • Send PM

Days gone by. We have been beating up old subjects, it’s sad to think how many more we beat up on the way to camp. My only question as of now, is are we going to only carry 2 quarterbacks, finally? This rosters deep enough, that someone is going to fall through the cracks.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                  Days gone by. We have been beating up old subjects, it’s sad to think how many more we beat up on the way to camp. My only question as of now, is are we going to only carry 2 quarterbacks, finally? This rosters deep enough, that someone is going to fall through the cracks.
                  The word is, they want Stick as Herb's backup long term-- meaning 2022 would be Chase Daniel's final season as a Bolt-- so they don't want to expose Stick to the waiver wire and risk losing him.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I don't think they are necessarily going to give up on him yet. He is entering his 4th year, and you see players all the time who have done nothing prior to their 4th/5th season, then turn it on. It is usually noteworthy because then everyone is conflicted because of the new contract that has to be signed. Did the light bulb finally come on, or was it a motivation problem so that once a new (big) contract gets signed, the player is going to go back to their old, less productive self. But for that to be an issue, he has to play well first, and he hasn't really done that except for a play here or there.
                    Yep. If Tillery's light bulb somehow suddenly turns on and he has at least a solid season, the Bolts will have to decide if they want to extend him and for how much. So the big question is: Will Tillery sign a nice extension and pull a Slayer, a Butler, or a Big Lazy?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

The word is, they want Stick as Herb's backup long term-- meaning 2022 would be Chase Daniel's final season as a Bolt-- so they don't want to expose Stick to the waiver wire and risk losing him.
                      I havent heard that about Stick and he hasnt shown well either.There will be so many other better options for the backup role after this season. I wouldnt care if Stick got picked up from waivers.

But lets see what he can do this preseason. If he looks the same, why hold on to him?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I havent heard that about Stick and he hasnt shown well either.There will be so many other better options for the backup role after this season. I wouldnt care if Stick got picked up from waivers.

But lets see what he can do this preseason. If he looks the same, why hold on to him?
                        I heard that about Stick on a reputable podcast-- not 'The Director! Mighta been Daniel Popper. He presented it as , "This is the team's thinking about Stick..."

I haven't been impressed with Stick, either. But the last two preseasons weren't exactly conventional, so I'm assuming that the coaches are seeing things they like from Stick in practices and scrimmages.

I think we all agree that any playoff hopes for the Bolts would be torpedoed, should Herb miss, say, 5 or 6 games with an injury. How many teams *do* have a backup you'd feel confident could run the offense effectively, if only modestly, for those 5 or 6 games? Not the Packers... Who do the Chiefs have behind Mahomes? Who's behind Stafford on the Rams? But I think it's probably pretty rare that an NFL team has *that guy* in place. (Ryan Fitzpatrick was *that guy* everywhere he went.)

I think the record shows that the Bolts most impactful backup, ever, was Billy Volek. He wasn't *that* good, but man, did he save the team's ass in that playoff game in Indy, after Rivers had to leave with the torn ACL.

Biggest play of Legadu Naanee's career, too

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep. If Tillery's light bulb somehow suddenly turns on and he has at least a solid season, the Bolts will have to decide if they want to extend him and for how much. So the big question is: Will Tillery sign a nice extension and pull a Slayer, a Butler, or a Big Lazy?
                          Why would we resign Tillery for say $10 mil a year when we let Nwoso go who is a better value at $10 mil per year. Playing mediocre for 3 seasons and then turning it up a notch in his final year with a strong supporting cast is a red flag for me that I don't think we'll pay unless he signs for $5 mil per year. He'll want $10-12 mil from the Chargers and then sign for $8 mill with some other team. At least Telesco doesn't chase bad decisions by throwing more money at mediocrity.

:wtf:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X