• Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
      Ford Taurus Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2022
        • Send PM

Really HOPE this is the case… hope he’s put the work in and can be an even average RT. I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ve seen waaay more off-season reports over the years about how great some dudes off-season has been only to be disappointed…think we heard it about Tillery the past two off seasons and he’s still garbage. Time to PROVE IT! I want to be Pipkins biggest fan! Re-watched the Raider game again a couple days ago and we can’t be our best offense with Storm at RT again this season.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
          Day One...
          • Mar 2019
          • Brentwood, 94513
          • Send PM

It’s very hard to put so much hope into something that has been nothing…. But if, Pipkins, really had it click, then, Hell Yeah. With all the talent on the offensive line, he just has to do his part. If he can do that, we’re golden.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post
            Really HOPE this is the case… hope he’s put the work in and can be an even average RT. I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ve seen waaay more off-season reports over the years about how great some dudes off-season has been only to be disappointed…think we heard it about Tillery the past two off seasons and he’s still garbage. Time to PROVE IT! I want to be Pipkins biggest fan! Re-watched the Raider game again a couple days ago and we can’t be our best offense with Storm at RT again this season.
            Fair to a degree. i sure hope so too as it would be a huge difference if he arrives at Game 1 ready to play competent average RT. But I don’t recall any reports about how hard Tillery was working the last off season or the season before. Or ever. I have never seen a “damn bro, Tillery is working soooo hard” story like, … ever. Maybe i missed them … or just have no memory left.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Popper’s mailbag Q&A:

When do you see the Chargers giving Derwin James a new contract extension? — @Jamboogie_13

James is on the final year of his rookie deal, the fifth-year option the Chargers picked up last May. The Chargers want to sign him to a long-term extension. James wants to remain with the Chargers. At this point, it comes down to the sides agreeing on a number — and that number will, deservedly, be very large.

In terms of timing, the Chargers — as a rule under general manager Tom Telesco — do not negotiate contracts after Labor Day, which is the effective start of the first week of the regular season. That was the deadline for the Melvin Gordon III contract negotiations in the summer of 2019. The sides did not agree to a deal before Labor Day. Gordon held out and was away from the team for the first three games of the season before returning to practice in Week 4. Telesco did not budge on his deadline. Once the season starts, the focus is on what happens on the field.

In the case of Joey Bosa and Keenan Allen — the two biggest extensions the Chargers have negotiated in the past three years — both of those deals got done before Labor Day. Bosa agreed to his extension on training camp report day in late July 2020. Allen, meanwhile, agreed to his extension on the Saturday before Labor Day.

Chargers GM Tom Telesco, by personal policy, doesn’t negotiate contract extensions after Labor Day. (Kirby Lee / USA Today)

So if James and the Chargers can iron out an extension, it will happen sometime between now and Labor Day on Sept. 5. If not, the negotiations would pick back up after the 2022 season.

As always when discussing NFL contracts, it is necessary to use similar contracts at the position in question as a guideline. James is likely looking to become the highest-paid safety in the league. In my opinion, he has earned that level of contract with the way he played last season and, just as importantly, what he means to Brandon Staley’s defensive scheme.

Steelers safety Minkah Fitzpatrick reset the market last month when he signed a four-year, $72.988 million extension, which comes out to $18.247 million in average annual value, the highest AAV for a safety in the league. Before Fitzpatrick’s extension, the SeahawksJamal Adams was the highest-paid safety in the league at $17.5 million.

In January, I projected the James extension at five years, $88 million — a $17.6 million AAV that would have made James the highest-paid safety in the league. Now, the Chargers would have to offer five years, $91.25 million — or four years, $73 million — to make James the highest-paid safety. If a player waits to sign an extension, he can maximize his value when other players at his position sign and elevate the market. That is exactly what happened for James with the Fitzpatrick deal.

In that sense, James and his agent David Mulugheta were smart to wait for the Fitzpatrick deal to get done. There is a new benchmark. But it appears as though that will be the last domino to fall. The only remaining safety up for a big extension is Jessie Bates, who the Bengals franchise-tagged in March. The deadline for a player on the franchise tag to agree to an extension is July 15. NFL Network reported that the Bengals and Bates are not close to getting a deal done. Once that deadline passes, Bates cannot sign an extension until after the season. So the market, at this point, is what it is.

If James waits until next offseason, he will have to put together another healthy season to maintain the value he currently has. That is a risk and must be a consideration. James played most of last season with a labrum injury in his left shoulder and underwent surgery on it in February.

We will see if James and the Chargers can come to an agreement before Labor Day.

Any breakout picks? — @KyleReims

I will give you guys two players I think are poised for breakout seasons, one on offense and one on defense.

The first is wide receiver Joshua Palmer. The 2021 third-round pick had a really nice rookie season, finishing with 33 catches for 353 yards and four touchdowns. More than half of his production — both receptions and receiving yards — came in the final five games of the season. He really started to blossom down the stretch as he found his footing in offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi’s scheme. Palmer has earned the trust of Justin Herbert. Williams, Allen and Herbert raved about Palmer’s development this offseason. He is an ideal fit in the system, with his strong hands, polished route-running and ability to play and win outside and in the slot. Unfortunately for Palmer, there are a ton of quality receiving options on the Chargers offense, and his production potential is limited because of target share. But he has worked hard to groom that rapport and chemistry with Herbert by staying after practice regularly ever since he stepped foot in the Chargers building as a rookie. I am expecting big things from Palmer in 2022.

The second is safety Nasir Adderley. The Chargers drafted Adderley in the second round in 2019 largely because of his ball skills. He had 11 interceptions in his college career at Delaware. In a truly bizarre development, that ball production has not translated to the NFL, as Adderley only has one interception in his career so far. But I think that will change this season. Adderley was in position for a few interceptions last season. He really took to Staley’s split-safety scheme, and the way he was utilized unlocked his aggressiveness, against the run and pass. Adderley is doing the hard part. He is around the ball a lot. At some point, the flood gates are going to open, and his ball production is going to come around.

What do you feel will be the two biggest battles in training camp for a starting or roster position? — @Kmansyv

1. Right tackle

2. RB2

Storm Norton and Trey Pipkins III will be battling for the starting right tackle job after the Chargers opted not to address this position in free agency or the draft. This is the missing piece right now for what is otherwise an elite offensive line. I think Pipkins wins this spot in camp.

The Chargers also need to find a viable second option behind Austin Ekeler, who played a career-high 731 snaps last season. His previous career high was 599. This was a glaring hole in the Chargers offense last season. Justin Jackson, Larry Rountree III and Joshua Kelley rotated behind Ekeler, but none of the three running backs was able to be productive or available enough to claim the job. The Chargers drafted Isaiah Spiller in the fourth round to compete with Rountree and Kelley for the second running back spot. I think he is the leading candidate to win the job in camp.

WR speed went relatively unaddressed during the offseason. Is the coaching staff expecting/hoping to solve this with who they have in-house? Or do they not see it as much of a weakness? — @UltiimateLaxBro

The answer to the first question is yes. The Chargers are not going to make any significant additions to their receiving room. They believe they have enough based on how well the group played in 2021. The answer to the second question is a little more nuanced. In a perfect world, I think the Chargers would have added some speed at receiver in the draft. But it did not work out. At the same time, I think they feel like they have enough receivers who can access the deep part of the field. Of course, that is Jalen Guyton’s specialty. Williams was also fantastic in the deep part of the field last season. He finished eighth in the league in expected points added on throws of 20 or more air yards, according to TruMedia — ahead of former Chiefs speedster Tyreek Hill, now with the Dolphins.

The Chargers had an incredibly efficient passing offense last season. Herbert ranked third in the league in EPA per dropback, according to TruMedia. Sure, some speed would have added an extra gear and versatility to the offense. But it is not like the Chargers needed sweeping changes to their passing offense. It was pretty damn good last season.

Which position group do you think has the least amount of quality depth? In other words, which group can we least afford an injury besides QB? — @Bolts_Bucs

I think it is edge rusher. Khalil Mack and Bosa form one of the best — if not the best — pass-rushing duos in the league. And while the Chargers signed Kyle Van Noy in free agency, they will be rather thin and certainly much less imposing if they lose Bosa or Mack for any amount of time. Van Noy also turned 31 in March. I expect Chris Rumph II will take a big step forward in his second season. But I think the Chargers would have been more comfortable with the depth in this group if they had been able to draft an edge rusher. That did not materialize. They really need Bosa and Mack to stay healthy. Mack missed over half of last season with a foot injury.

With a healthy Khalil Mack — and Joey Bosa — the Chargers’ pass rush is dangerous. The depth is a little shaky though. (Kirby Lee / USA Today)

What do you think the Chargers have to accomplish for this to be a “successful season,” i.e., what has to happen for people like Staley and Telesco to avoid getting on the hot seat? — @davidanagy3

The Chargers have to make the playoffs this season. That is the bare minimum. They went out and spent heavily in free agency. They traded for Mack. This is a loaded and deep roster. There are no more excuses. Staley and Telesco have to produce results — especially after the Rams won the Super Bowl last season. The Chargers’ goal is to build a fan base in Los Angeles, and they ultimately have to win to do that. Everyone in the building is aware of that truth. If they miss the postseason again, some tough questions will have to be asked, particularly of Telesco, who has only two playoff wins in his nine seasons as GM.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Fair to a degree. i sure hope so too as it would be a huge difference if he arrives at Game 1 ready to play competent average RT. But I don’t recall any reports about how hard Tillery was working the last off season or the season before. Or ever. I have never seen a “damn bro, Tillery is working soooo hard” story like, … ever. Maybe i missed them … or just have no memory left.
                Agreed. Pipkins only needs to be adequate / average, not superman (he's on the other side of the line). I think it's reasonable to expect that, and frankly I'll be disappointed if he fails - he's had all the chances in the world to be successful.

It just might be that the message is getting through to some of these guys (Tillery not withstanding) that they need to perform well or they'll be gone - traded to the Texans (or Siberia); not sure which is worse.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Agreed. Pipkins only needs to be adequate / average, not superman (he's on the other side of the line). I think it's reasonable to expect that, and frankly I'll be disappointed if he fails - he's had all the chances in the world to be successful.

It just might be that the message is getting through to some of these guys (Tillery not withstanding) that they need to perform well or they'll be gone - traded to the Texans (or Siberia); not sure which is worse.
                  I don’t agree that Pipkins had all the chances in the world. Frankly his first two years nearly ruined him.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Tillery and Pipskin could look good in their new environment.
                    The RG couldn't help last year.
                    The IDL was a disaster.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t agree that Pipkins had all the chances in the world. Frankly his first two years nearly ruined him.
                      I didn't see the motivation with Pipkins the last couple of years. Yeah - I agree that our coaching hasn't been ideal, and he was probably forced into action earlier than he should have been his first year, so I'll give him that, but why wasn't he working out with Mayweather (or someone like him) in any of his other offseasons? I think the prospect / possibility of life outside of football was clearly pointed out to him in his exit interviews, and he (finally?) took it to heart. Maybe he's matured some as well.

At any rate I'm thinking good thoughts on his behalf - we need him to come through.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                        Glad to hear Pip appears to be improving...but...isn't this kind of a knock on both Lynn's and Staley's O-line coaches? Does it take some off-season coaching consultant to finally get the dude up to speed? What's been going on with our coaching staffs the past 3+ years?

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Glad to hear Pip appears to be improving...but...isn't this kind of a knock on both Lynn's and Staley's O-line coaches? Does it take some off-season coaching consultant to finally get the dude up to speed? What's been going on with our coaching staffs the past 3+ years?
                          It’s offseason training. Coaches can’t get involved per CBA. Tom Brady still does offseason training with Tom House.

Comment

Working...
                          X