• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I heard that about Stick on a reputable podcast-- not 'The Director! Mighta been Daniel Popper. He presented it as , "This is the team's thinking about Stick..."

I haven't been impressed with Stick, either. But the last two preseasons weren't exactly conventional, so I'm assuming that the coaches are seeing things they like from Stick in practices and scrimmages.

I think we all agree that any playoff hopes for the Bolts would be torpedoed, should Herb miss, say, 5 or 6 games with an injury. How many teams *do* have a backup you'd feel confident could run the offense effectively, if only modestly, for those 5 or 6 games? Not the Packers... Who do the Chiefs have behind Mahomes? Who's behind Stafford on the Rams? But I think it's probably pretty rare that an NFL team has *that guy* in place. (Ryan Fitzpatrick was *that guy* everywhere he went.)

I think the record shows that the Bolts most impactful backup, ever, was Billy Volek. He wasn't *that* good, but man, did he save the team's ass in that playoff game in Indy, after Rivers had to leave with the torn ACL.

Biggest play of Legadu Naanee's career, too
    Some teams have a pretty decent backup and one id like to have next season.....IF we can get him to agree to be a backup is Heinicke. I doubt he beats out Wentz this year.
    Never know. I didnt expect Mariota to sign as a backup either but he did and Heinicke has been on par with him who imo surprised last season. Though nobody looks for him to be a starter.....except maybe him.

Maybe Cleveland should trade for him if Mayfield refuses to play there and Watson gets a big suspension....but id like to have him as a backup for us in 2023.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Some teams have a pretty decent backup and one id like to have next season.....IF we can get him to agree to be a backup is Heinicke. I doubt he beats out Wentz this year.
      Never know. I didnt expect Mariota to sign as a backup either but he did and Heinicke has been on par with him who imo surprised last season. Though nobody looks for him to be a starter.....except maybe him.

Maybe Cleveland should trade for him if Mayfield refuses to play there and Watson gets a big suspension....but id like to have him as a backup for us in 2023.
      At least he has the right attitude. Do you really want a player on a team that doesn't think he can play well enough to start on one of the 32 NFL teams. At least he's no Cam Newton who's skillset has tremendously declined over the past few seasons. Every team needs at least two solid QB's and a back-up who can really contribute when needed is much appreciated.

:cartman:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I heard that about Stick on a reputable podcast-- not 'The Director! Mighta been Daniel Popper. He presented it as , "This is the team's thinking about Stick..."

I haven't been impressed with Stick, either. But the last two preseasons weren't exactly conventional, so I'm assuming that the coaches are seeing things they like from Stick in practices and scrimmages.

I think we all agree that any playoff hopes for the Bolts would be torpedoed, should Herb miss, say, 5 or 6 games with an injury. How many teams *do* have a backup you'd feel confident could run the offense effectively, if only modestly, for those 5 or 6 games? Not the Packers... Who do the Chiefs have behind Mahomes? Who's behind Stafford on the Rams? But I think it's probably pretty rare that an NFL team has *that guy* in place. (Ryan Fitzpatrick was *that guy* everywhere he went.)

I think the record shows that the Bolts most impactful backup, ever, was Billy Volek. He wasn't *that* good, but man, did he save the team's ass in that playoff game in Indy, after Rivers had to leave with the torn ACL.

Biggest play of Legadu Naanee's career, too
        Maybe. It depends on the scheduled opponents, how the D is playing, how the STs are doing, how the run game is doing, how well Lombardi adjusts, etc, etc. Stick / Daniels are not Herbert level, true and the odds of winning playoff games without JH are not good. Herbert out for the playoffs is very bad. He's still not our only chance. I'm not ready to disrespect the rest of the team and HC Staley's choices.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

At least he has the right attitude. Do you really want a player on a team that doesn't think he can play well enough to start on one of the 32 NFL teams. At least he's no Cam Newton who's skillset has tremendously declined over the past few seasons. Every team needs at least two solid QB's and a back-up who can really contribute when needed is much appreciated.

:cartman:
          Agree and i dont think we have that. He would be a big upgrade to us IMO. I dont want Herbert to miss any games but would love a good backup.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Up front, I want Herbert at QB in all our games.
            If he misses 5-6 games in season, plays at close to 100% in 11- 12 games and wins 9-10 of them it would be a darn shame for the rest of the team to let him down, lose every game he doesn't play. I don't see it. The other 52 guys can play a little ball too.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
              If he misses 5-6 games in season, plays at close to 100% in 11- 12 games and wins 9-10 of them it would be a darn shame for the rest of the team to let him down, lose every game he doesn't play. I don't see it. The other 52 guys can play a little ball too.
              Damn well better, agreed.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                This is what we'll find out. Just *how* well they can play ball.

There's a lot still that's not close to established-- Punter, Kick returner, RB2, RT...

Staley's swift corrective actions in free agency were so bold and authoritative that it leaves us believing that he saw the problems clearly. That he showed ZERO hesitation suggests he knew EXACTLY what he wanted and needed, and then went and got it.

That's pretty intoxicating to us, as fans. Here's Staley-- a bright, ascending NFL coach-- being bold and unhesitant... just like going for it on 4th down.

So, I'm hopeful, along with the rest of the board here. But I've also been a Bolt fan long enough to know that you NEVER count unhatched chickens.

This should be a very interesting season, especially with every other team in the division also being competitive. Bring it on.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

The word is, they want Stick as Herb's backup long term-- meaning 2022 would be Chase Daniel's final season as a Bolt-- so they don't want to expose Stick to the waiver wire and risk losing him.
                  Why worry? Stick is JAG (at best). He is better than Daniels - Ill give him that. The only thing either one of our backup QB's have going for them is knowledge of our system. They should cut Daniels at the end of TC and hire him as an offensive coach; Wala - extra roster spot.

As someone else mentioned I'd love to have Taylor Heineki / Marcus Mariota / Tyrod Taylor as our backup. This team is good enough to stay at .500 with them at the helm.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Why worry? Stick is JAG (at best). He is better than Daniels - Ill give him that. The only thing either one of our backup QB's have going for them is knowledge of our system. They should cut Daniels at the end of TC and hire him as an offensive coach; Wala - extra roster spot.

As someone else mentioned I'd love to have Taylor Heineki / Marcus Mariota / Tyrod Taylor as our backup. This team is good enough to stay at .500 with them at the helm.
                    I am all for upgrading QB2. Its not going to happen this season. I don’t buy the Daniel whisperer crap at all, especially after Stick outplayed him last PS in the system Daniel is supposed to be expert in.

But i doubt cutting Daniel to open a Mr 53 slot means zip to 2022 Chargers performance. Mr 53 isn’t good enough to make the roster if we carry 3 QBs so … Mr 53 isn’t even going to suit up on Sunday’s whereas I thought NFL added some rule that QB3 doesnt count in the 47 active? Or did they already revise/delete that game day roster rule?

shit - is it still 47 active game day? Idunno anymore. Regardless, its not 53 - he won’t suit up.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

In this division, losing Herbert would mean no playoffs.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        In this division, losing Herbert would mean no playoffs.
                        2008 Pats went 11-5 with Brady out, 7th rd draft pick Matt Cassel starting.
                        The rest of the team & HC definitely make a difference.
                        Herbert out 17 games would likely end our playoff prospects but even then you can't guarantee it.
                        KC has been very consistent and even without their top WR, they'll be contenders.
                        LAC, L V & Den signed some stars. LAC signed the most, made the most roster improvement - all 3 are unknowns in 2022.
                        With JH, we're a cut above the rest. JH out less than half our games, miss no AFCW, we're still contenders.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

It's time to look at the Strength of Schedule for the season. There was some debate earlier this week here, so I thought I'd make an easy-to-understand table. If you'd like to know what...

2008 Patriots had an easy schedule. The entire AFC E had easy schedules.

Comment

Working...
                          X