• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    How did it even get to the point where we’re talking about a P in the 3rd when we have so many other, more important needs? This is not a talent rich team.
    My solution for getting Araiza in R3 would be if the board isn't right in R1 - trade back to get a better pick in R3 and use that extra pick on Araiza

But seriously with the way Telesco has actually drafted in R3 and R4 (or traded away picks) - if Araiza becomes a 10 year punter in the NFL - its not a wasted pick with their current R3
    Some thought Jamarr Chase was not the right pick in Cincy

Telesco needs to get the heavy lifting done in free agency to allow the draft to be about getting talent for the rest of the roster. I am good with Araiza in R3 - with the caveat, let me see free agency and R1 and R2

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I like trading back and not trading up. Telesco has not been good about trading up - but maybe he trades back and gets a pick in R3 or R4
      He hasn’t brought home a lot of bacon in the late rounds in 9 years either. The roster needs more difference makers, not more JAGs and practice squad contenders. We were already playing practice squad members on the starting 22. Jmo, bundle some comps and lates and move up. 10 draft picks (whatever the # is) aren’t going to make the roster.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He hasn’t brought home a lot of bacon in the late rounds in 9 years either. The roster needs more difference makers, not more JAGs and practice squad contenders. We were already playing practice squad members on the starting 22. Jmo, bundle some comps and lates and move up. 10 draft picks (whatever the # is) aren’t going to make the roster.
        When I suggest trading back - its trading from 17 in R1 and maybe getting another R2 or R3

The team has enough day 3 picks already so I totally like your idea of moving up

Comment

• Berserker76
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Can anyone clarify something for me? Have we had the same scouts for the last nine years and have these same scouts feed Telesco the same bad input on later rounds for the past nine years? Or is Telesco making these poor decisions all by himself? Or is it something else? Just don't understand why we can't build depth.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Can anyone clarify something for me? Have we had the same scouts for the last nine years and have these same scouts feed Telesco the same bad input on later rounds for the past nine years? Or is Telesco making these poor decisions all by himself? Or is it something else? Just don't understand why we can't build depth.
            Good question. As its the same problems over and over. Bad special teams is partly driven by bad roster depth.

Not sure if its John Boy in the room; the scouts aren't good or Telesco is just bad at his job.

I don't see JOhn Boy wanting to do the work to dig in on Day 3 of the draft, UDFAs, etc.

Telesco has never had an identity as far as building a roster. I personally think he is just not good at his job and John Boy (and the Spanii) do not help

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Is the GM typically responsible for selection of the scouts?

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Is the GM typically responsible for selection of the scouts?
                Typically, yes. Sometimes scouts do stay though GM changes. I suspect that the decision is by committee on the Chargers, with John Spanos, TT and the directors of college scouting and pro personnel figuring this out.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

I think we should be able to keep our own FA's (that we want), add three FA's from other teams that fill a PON, and get two more starters in the first two rounds of the draft, then fill in the depth with the rest of the picks. If so, five new starters added to this years team should make the Bolts one of the top teams in the league. Hang in there Charger fans, it's going to get better!
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Typically, yes. Sometimes scouts do stay though GM changes. I suspect that the decision is by committee on the Chargers, with John Spanos, TT and the directors of college scouting and pro personnel figuring this out.
                    John Boy was in charge of that at one time so maybe he retained the scouts?

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

My solution for getting Araiza in R3 would be if the board isn't right in R1 - trade back to get a better pick in R3 and use that extra pick on Araiza

But seriously with the way Telesco has actually drafted in R3 and R4 (or traded away picks) - if Araiza becomes a 10 year punter in the NFL - its not a wasted pick with their current R3
                      Some thought Jamarr Chase was not the right pick in Cincy

Telesco needs to get the heavy lifting done in free agency to allow the draft to be about getting talent for the rest of the roster. I am good with Araiza in R3 - with the caveat, let me see free agency and R1 and R2
                      That’s true, don’t go into round 3 needing a CB, LB, IDL,ED, RB, TE, WR…. You can’t take a 6 play a game player over a 40 game a play player.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

That’s true, don’t go into round 3 needing a CB, LB, IDL,ED, RB, TE, WR…. You can’t take a 6 play a game player over a 40 game a play player.
                        Exactly right. All the needs cannot be filled by the draft let alone a bunch of picks in rounds 4-7.

Telesco really needs to copy the Bengals. Maybe not four players on defense - but two really good players. This also means he either has to sign the key four (White, Nwosu, MW and Justin Jones) or replace them.

I count 6 big time free agents Telesco needs to figure out: IDL - 2; WR-1; Edge - 1 LB - 1 (maybe substitute CB for one of these 6) - and thats besides a bunch of one year guys or maybe a smaller deal for Aboushi, Hopkins, ROberts and the like

Comment

• SBbound
                          Casual fanatic
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Merced/San Diego
                          • Send PM

If memory serves, we had a big shake up with the release of the head of scouting in 2017 or 2018, but I can't find anything on it now. Does anyone else recall or have info on this?

Comment

Working...
                          X