P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Give Storm more credit. When a RT holds off one of the pass rushers in the game and allows his QB to have one of best 4th quarters in history, I think that's a feather in Storm's cap. Another thing about Storm, he's always available. I'm for upgrading RT, it is a need, but of all the other needs, I think it's the least of this team's needs. If there's an opportunity to seriously upgrade the defense and bring in a RB to back up Ekeler, I'm comfortable with Storm and Pip if starting RT can't be upgraded.
      We lost the game. A significant contributor to the loss was relentless pressure from the right side, both around and through Norton. He gets no little engine that could participation awards for effort here. He is not good enough to be a starting RT, period. Betting he will improve is a stupid bet. I’ll keep him around as a backup given his negligible cost. But not at the primary backup, he’s gotta be deeper on the “oh for fuck’s sake who else is hurt” bench list than Option B. I do not start the season planning for him to play ever.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

To clarify even more, what we’re doing this year is the opposite of what we’ve been doing in the past. It’s an extremely risky move if we don’t win it all this year because the bill comes due next year. Of course, you can keep kicking the can down the road but it’s not a great strategy in the long run. This is where having draft picks becoming quality starters become so important.
        I'm not sure where the problem is. Mack was a trade and has no guaranteed money and can be cut at any time. Williams has a 3 year deal and I highly doubt he'll be cut before that time. Jackson is about the only one with money spread out, but is only 26 so unless bombs, we are not likely to suffer any hit from a 26 year old player. We did have the lowest dead cap space in the league coming into this year so I think we are in fine shape.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Actually, Clary was the Chargers best RT the last 15 seasons (maybe Fluke in 2013 ).

Let that fact sink in.
          :mybrainhurts:
          He wasn’t Norton bad but he wasnt good. What he was actually ok at was when they moved him to RG. He never got the appreciation there that he earned, too many RT scabs still getting picked at, i guess.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

We lost the game. A significant contributor to the loss was relentless pressure from the right side, both around and through Norton. He gets no little engine that could participation awards for effort here. He is not good enough to be a starting RT, period. Betting he will improve is a stupid bet. I’ll keep him around as a backup given his negligible cost. But not at the primary backup, he’s gotta be deeper on the “oh for fuck’s sake who else is hurt” bench list than Option B. I do not start the season planning for him to play ever.
            The offense didn't lose the game. The defense did. The offense was pretty awesome, and Storm was a part of that.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Sean McVay would not want you as his owner.
              I’m cool with that.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'm not sure where the problem is. Mack was a trade and has no guaranteed money and can be cut at any time. Williams has a 3 year deal and I highly doubt he'll be cut before that time. Jackson is about the only one with money spread out, but is only 26 so unless bombs, we are not likely to suffer any hit from a 26 year old player. We did have the lowest dead cap space in the league coming into this year so I think we are in fine shape.
                You can also add if Mike Davis doesn't turn it around - he can be released. You mentioned Mack - his number can always be lowered if he has a good year next year to create cap space.

Keenan Allen has a pretty big number next year and his dead money will be much smaller

DErwin - if signed next year will have a smaller number

There are ways around the cap - just ask Tampa, Rams, Saints, Packers...

The Chargers haven't really needed to play the cap game as they haven't had two good years in a row in over a decade. So we are used to playing it safe. Now is the time..

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  8 million cap hit in 2022

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    The offense didn't lose the game. The defense did. The offense was pretty awesome, and Storm was a part of that.
                    Norton allowed 8 pressures and got a sub 40 PFF grade for the game. We were in it in spite of him, not because of him. Herbert was running for his life.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

It’s not a problem if they don’t keep restructuring to free cap space. For example, we can easily let Mack go next year like you said. But if they decide to lower his cap hit even more this year or next, then it requires restructuring his deal to give him more guarantee money. The Saints, for example, kept pushing contracts further down the line because they kept missing the SB and were trying to keep the window open. It unfortunately didn’t work. Ideally we win it all this year because it becomes harder to keep everyone together once Herbert needs to be paid next year.

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I believe that is correct. But only if we leave it alone and don’t try to restructure the following year to free up cap space in 2023.

Essentially we have to pray that we win the SB this year. And that the FO doesn’t try to restructure unnecessarily the following year. It means no big FA for us like what is happening to the Pats this year so far.
                        We have a three year window. I can get into it later. But for now, just enjoy this. Not only did we get the best free agent CB on the market, we got him for a steal. :Cheers1:

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Norton allowed 8 pressures and got a sub 40 PFF grade for the game. We were in it in spite of him, not because of him. Herbert was running for his life.
                          I still think RT is upgraded in R1 of the draft - but who knows what will happen

Maybe they are trying to get Bulaga to take $4m salary or something with incentives -- granted, with that back, that still might not be the best move.

Comment

Working...
                          X