Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UglyTruth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2018
    • Send PM

Kid is very bright and humble. You can tell he’s intelligent and will be a good character guy to have in the locker room in addition to his great actual skillset.
    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Kid is very bright and humble. You can tell he’s intelligent and will be a good character guy to have in the locker room in addition to his great actual skillset.
      So glad we got this guy and not Penning. I think Penning is a penalty waiting to happen.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Rambler View Post

When you are picking at 17, you can't know who might be gone until you're on the clock. What if New England or Dallas had traded up with Washington, and stolen Zion from us? We would have been forced to pick someone else. Maybe Elam was one of our contingencies, if our more preferred choices were all off the board.
        Its interesting because Elam went around # 24, before Booth, who drew more draftnik interest.
        So the Charger brass had a good notion of value.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I think they were too ******* stunned to do anything. And a singular incident like that won't happen ever again, concerning Justin Herbert.
          I remember when Von Miller? was mauling Rivers after a sack, and the Oline stood around and watched....Rivers suffered through some very passive Olinemen.
          Or the famous 4 Miami Dolphin pass rushers meeting up together simultaneously at the point of space in which Rivers was holding on to the football.

Poor PR.

With the Steeler, that happened super quick and Herbert was well down the field. A wide receiver tried to extract the swinish Steeler.
          Steeler fans complemented the thug for caring.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

So glad we got this guy and not Penning. I think Penning is a penalty waiting to happen.
            Pennalting? I would rather take Zion of Green and lock down pro bowl caliber play at the lesser OG spot than average play at RT. We’ll see if Penning can become pro bowl level and prove us wrong. I don’t like guys that look great against sammysmall school scrub competition. That PFT doesn’t account for competition level in their algorithm leaves it worthless at college level unless you are comparing two guys on rival teams in same conference.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Introduction Presser - First time ever in Los Angeles for Zion Johnson

IN PROGRESS

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post

I agree on Sids and Coryells OL's. I wish our line would get a little nastier. It pissed me off when that Steeler guy punched Herbie in the stomach and our guys did nothing. Can you imagine if he did that to Fouts? The linemen would kill him.
                That’s the steelers for ya, they’ve been getting away with some crazy ass nasty stuff since the 1970s. Ask the raiders about the immaculate reception. All grassy knoll style the NFL had the video edited, unbelievable! The rooney’s must have something on the NFL because even tho the raiders have a reputation for dirty play to me the steelers have always been the dirtiest cheap shot artists. And they get away with that stuff. I don’t even think heyward was fined by the league for first pinning herbert down and then punching him in the gut in front of a primetime national TV audience and then still had the gall to bitch at the referees for getting a personal foul when his ass should have been ejected from the fuggin game!

I almost quit the NFL after the 2006 superbowl in a game where two TDs were taken away from the seahawks, the steelers “won one” with the help from the refs for the bus in detroit, gimme a break! What a load of crap that game was!
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                  Fluent in Sarcasm
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Iowa
                  • Man of the People
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Its interesting because Elam went around # 24, before Booth, who drew more draftnik interest.
                  So the Charger brass had a good notion of value.
                  Booth does have some injury concerns that I think have pushed him down boards. Elam is really just a press-man guy at this point in his career, so Booth is the better all around CB but the core muscle surgery and some reported knee concerns definitely hurt his stock.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Pennalting? I would rather take Zion of Green and lock down pro bowl caliber play at the lesser OG spot than average play at RT. We’ll see if Penning can become pro bowl level and prove us wrong. I don’t like guys that look great against sammysmall school scrub competition. That PFT doesn’t account for competition level in their algorithm leaves it worthless at college level unless you are comparing two guys on rival teams in same conference.
                    I actually hope Penning proves me wrong. But I see a guy who will get beat on passing plays and then throw a tantrum about it...resulting in a personal foul.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Sun Valley, ID
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post

Walt Sweeney was one of the players my mom sold a house to. His wife was a firecracker and ruled the roost. haha. They lived by Granite Hills in east El Cajon. He was quite a physical presence. I remember after games he always had a bloody crack on the bridge of his nose. It was there every time. I also remember I worked as a box boy at Alpha Beta on Second street. He would come in and shop. There was one check out lady who would almost faint when he was there, she was infatuated. Last I saw him he had a book signing at JP's bar and grill in Tierrasanta shortly before he passed away. He had a bad drug and alcohol problem that he accused the league of causing. He was a good guy. RIP Walt. Theres another old story for ya Chargeroo.
                      One more quick Sweeney story. He split his pants out on the seam in the rear end in one game and kept on playing, mooning the fans every time he took his stance. Finally, the sidelines shuttled in a guard, he came off, and the trainer or equipment guy just taped a towel around his waist, covering Sweeney's butt, and back into the game he went.

Comment

• Craig440
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post

One more quick Sweeney story. He split his pants out on the seam in the rear end in one game and kept on playing, mooning the fans every time he took his stance. Finally, the sidelines shuttled in a guard, he came off, and the trainer or equipment guy just taped a towel around his waist, covering Sweeney's butt, and back into the game he went.
                        haha I remember that now that you mention it.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post

That is hilarious!

Comment

Working...
                          X