Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Zion and slater are two of the cleanest 1st round picks I’ve ever seen the chargers make…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I hope they haven't ruled Aboushi out completely. I get that they don't want to sign him yet, but we still don't have depth inside and while Aboushi hasn't played a full season in a while, he would be a 6th starter type on the OL.
      We do have the Clapp to go with Jaimes for IOL depth. I mean I would love to bring Aboushi back too but I don’t think it happens unless the plan is to carry 10 OL.

Comment

• jox g
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
        Not thrilled with hearing Trey Pipkins and Storm Norton are our only options at RT (again). Really hope they drafted someone better than either guy. It shouldn’t be too hard to find someone better even in later rounds of this draft.

Both Pipkins and Norton would have trouble finding a job with any other team if the Chargers cut them, they are that bad imo.
        W Zion next to them instead of Schofield, they are in a better situation. Plus, they have another yr under their belt. Foster Sarrel is there too. Clapp too

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

I didn't get that they were the only options, just that they are the only options right NOW. You can only draft players 1 at a time, so the fact that we haven't drafted an OT YET is all TT is necessarily saying.

That being said, our depth in the secondary is as thin or thinner than the OL right now.
          If the interior is solid the OT can concentrate more on outside moves. Below average guard and below average tackle spells disaster.

:rimshot:
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Stat to Know: Johnson’s 2021 Blown Block rate of 0.3% was the lowest for any NCAA offensive lineman, regardless of position. Over three seasons at Boston College, he allowed just three sacks, nine quarterback hits, and 24 quarterback hurries on 1,074 pass-blocking snaps.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

We do have the Clapp to go with Jaimes for IOL depth. I mean I would love to bring Aboushi back too but I don’t think it happens unless the plan is to carry 10 OL.
              Yeah, but he isn't very good. Again, the majority of his snaps with NO were as a goalline TE.

Guys like Clapp and Aboushi, you can let them compete for a roster spot. Just because you signed them as FA, doesn't mean they are going to be on the day 1 roster.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • New Jersey
                • Send PM

I hope they haven't ruled Aboushi out completely. I get that they don't want to sign him yet, but we still don't have depth inside and while Aboushi hasn't played a full season in a while, he would be a 6th starter type on the OL.
                I'd love to see Aboushi back, but should they bring him back? He only played five games last season before being injured, and he has only played more than eight games in two of his eight NFL seasons:

Checkout the latest stats for Oday Aboushi. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Love the pick. One of the highest floor players in the entire draft. Protect Herbert for years.

In regards to Feiler staying at LG and Zion at RG, Norton was bad but what a lot of us haven’t talked about is that Schofield was just as bad at RG. Feiler-Linsley-Zion will keep the interior of the pocket together and giver Herbert the option to actually step up into the pocket which often wasn’t an option with Schofield in. Zion is also a high processor and will be much more adept at dealing with the stunts a lot of teams threw at our right side last year. Yes, RT is still a worrisome position but having significantly better play at RG will be helpful to whoever is at RT, as we saw when Aboushi was in there.
                  agree...... have one weakness is apt better than having 2 weakness on one side.... you can scheme to help or offset one weakness, but not 2.... and a great OG can help the RT or vice-versa because they can help one another....

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
                    Interesting that Telesco sees him at RG with Feiler staying at LG. We probably take a RT at 79 and see how it goes starting two rookies on the right side in training camp.
                    They may get a vet at RT post draft to compete with Pipkins and Norton in camp. I don’t see them getting another OL tomorrow.

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

If the interior is solid the OT can concentrate more on outside moves. Below average guard and below average tackle spells disaster.

:rimshot:
                      agree.... this makes 4 of our OL positions very strong.... and even if we add no one else, maybe Pipkins can continue to improve like he did last year and become a solid starter?

we will have far fewer jailbreaks than we have had before..... especially prior to Slater or when Rivers was QB....

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Stat to Know: Johnson’s 2021 Blown Block rate of 0.3% was the lowest for any NCAA offensive lineman, regardless of position. Over three seasons at Boston College, he allowed just three sacks, nine quarterback hits, and 24 quarterback hurries on 1,074 pass-blocking snaps.

awesome!

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Clapp is a vet minimum move that can be easily cut if someone better comes along. I don’t see this stopping them from signing Aboushi and having them compete.

Comment

Working...
                          X