• Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

The Chargers were 30th in YPC with 3.8
    I know they are a passing attack but 1524 yards for a season is not enough.
    The low ypc is due to the lack of talent at RB not at OL. A decent RB (Ekeler) averaged 4.5 ypc. And his #2 Kelley averaged 4.2

The other RB talent was garbage.

Sony Michel had 36 carries for 2.9
    Spiller 18/2.3
    Rountree 13/1.5
    Horvath 4/2.0

Herbert had 54 carries for a 2.7 average

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Projecting Horvath’s ability or lack thereof based on 4 carries is like projecting a marathon runner’s finishing time after his first 40 yards. Coaches see him in practice and know better how he can run, or block, or tackle. 4 carries doesn’t teach us outside the building anything imo.

I see a lot of other playmakers all over the field, and little reason to try and redesign anything to get it to him the ball more. But hey - i did love his first 2 catches last year, maybe he’s gonna burst onto the scene in 2023!
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
        Projecting Horvath’s ability or lack thereof based on 4 carries is like projecting a marathon runner’s finishing time after his first 40 yards. Coaches see him in practice and know better how he can run, or block, or tackle. 4 carries doesn’t teach us outside the building anything imo.

I see a lot of other playmakers all over the field, and little reason to try and redesign anything to get it to him the ball more. But hey - i did love his first 2 catches last year, maybe he’s gonna burst onto the scene in 2023!
        I think Horvath was drafted for his potential as a FB. That was in the Lombardi offense. In that in most of the snaps he played there was a two back set and if it was run between the tackles he was out in front of Ekeler/Kelly looking for someone to block. If you watch the Ekeler runs through the middle close to the goal line Horvath was on the field. Whether he is a good blocking FB I don't know. It is interesting that he caught two short TD passes the first two weeks of the season then was never heard from again. But my guess is that Horvath's roster spot hinges on whether Moore wants a FB on roster, and, if so, is Horvath a good enough blocking FB to keep around.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I think Horvath was drafted for his potential as a FB. That was in the Lombardi offense. In that in most of the snaps he played there was a two back set and if it was run between the tackles he was out in front of Ekeler/Kelly looking for someone to block. If you watch the Ekeler runs through the middle close to the goal line Horvath was on the field. Whether he is a good blocking FB I don't know. It is interesting that he caught two short TD passes the first two weeks of the season then was never heard from again. But my guess is that Horvath's roster spot hinges on whether Moore wants a FB on roster, and, if so, is Horvath a good enough blocking FB to keep around.
          Spot on - 100% agree. He better work on blocking and jump off the bench for any ST play, and he may snag a reserve role. Zero chance he’s busting into the roster as Mr. O-Weapon dude, compared to all the other weapons stacked in front of him. He was an ok, at best, lead blocker last year - some good blocks and a lot of misses. Definitely did not establish himself as LoNeil.

Moore likes to motion/shift a TE into a pseudo-FB lead blocking formation spot in order to get a blocking imbalance against the D while keeping an extra WR on the field (more flexible play options). He may not value a FB like Lombo - who didn’t have that creativity in his bones. I don’t think Dallas has had a true FB in many years (cough, since Moore) but I don’t know if that’s a scheme or personnel talent based decision.

The unknown land that Moore is taking us to is fucking exciting. Village of the Future, welcome to Flipville!

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

After analyzing the Cowboys' depth chart for the years Moore was OC, it is quite apparent he does not use a FB in his offense. He did not have a FB on the roster in 2021 and 2022. When he took over as OC in 2019 the Cowboys had a FB, who was on the roster for the entire season. They opened 2020 with a FB on the roster but by the end of the season the FB was gone and never returned during Moore's tenure.

Additionally, Moore never carries more than three RB. At times in the past two seasons he only had two on the roster - Elliot and Pollard.

Interestingly, the Cowboys this year signed a UDFA FB, Hunter Luepke out of ND state.

Based on this analysis, my feeling is that Horvath is history, unless he can find a role as a TE/Hback. I don't know.

Also interesting in analyzing Moore's offensive roster, over the course of the past two seasons he always had 6 WR on the roster, sometimes 7.

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Isaiah Spiller and Melvin Gordon are very similar in height and build.

Gordon at the Combine measured 6.5 feet 215 lbs https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php...DraftYear=2015

Spiller measured 6.3 feet 217 lbs https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php...DraftYear=2022

The big difference was Gordon's 4.43 forty to Spiller's 4.64.

Gordon's college stats were phenomenal against Big 10 competition. In his senior season he had 343 carries for 7.5 ypc. He also scored 29 rushing TDs. His junior season numbers were similar, though only 12 TDs.

Spiller as I noted above against SEC defenses averaged 5.5 ypc on about 180 carries per season in three years. He scored 10 rushing TDs as a frosh, 9 as a soph, 6 as a junior.
              Gordon was 6 1/2 feet? As in 6'6"?! I dont think he was taller than Malcolm Floyd. I think in college his Oline was blowing up gaping holes, not so much that he had the vision or the moves to cut through small lanes.
              Last edited by jubei; 07-13-2023, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

6'6" running back
                haha
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• SuperCharged
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Utah
                  • Midnight Toker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I can think of 3 RB's, 6 WR's, and 3 TE's I'd rather have on the field over Horvath.
                  Weird considering he's only in his 2nd season. I think Moore will use him a more than Lombo did. I would work him in on short yardage situations since our short yardage was about as bad as you can get.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

Gordon was 6 1/2 feet? As in 6'6"?! I dont think he was taller than Malcolm Floyd. I think in college his Oline was blowing up gaping holes, not so much that he had the vision or the moves to cut through small lanes.
                    No, 6 feet 1/2 inch.

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Based on this analysis, my feeling is that Horvath is history, unless he can find a role as a TE/Hback. I don't know.
                      I hope he doesn't go to the AFC west. He'd put up 120 on us lol. At least last year's defense.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

I hope he doesn't go to the AFC west. He'd put up 120 on us lol. At least last year's defense.
                        send him to the Raiders, i'll chip in an Arby's gift card so he can get a snack when he gets there.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I think there a lot of question marks about these underutilized players, but looking forward to finding out the what’s.

Comment

Working...
                          X