Welcome Jamaree Salyer, OL, Georgia (R6, #195)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I read a bunch about Salyer to see why he slid in the draft. RiverW is right. Most 'experts' mentioned his past injuries (for which he did not have any corrective surgeries and that was considered a negative, not sure why) and that Salyer was limited in his 'bend' and foot placement and athleticism. Said that speed rushers would give him fits and that his sets are not pretty or technically proficient (opposite of Slater). But being incredibly strong and having really long arms were strengths, as was position flexibility (can play all 5 spots), intelligence, football intelligence and leadership.
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
      I read a bunch about Salyer to see why he slid in the draft. RiverW is right. Most 'experts' mentioned his past injuries (for which he did not have any corrective surgeries and that was considered a negative, not sure why) and that Salyer was limited in his 'bend' and foot placement and athleticism. Said that speed rushers would give him fits and that his sets are not pretty or technically proficient (opposite of Slater). But being incredibly strong and having really long arms were strengths, as was position flexibility (can play all 5 spots), intelligence, football intelligence and leadership.
      yeah, I thought it mighta been coz he was the "dry humper," but turns out that was Rasheed Walker, who TT passed on for Leonard round seven.
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Before the Texans game what gave me confidence about Salyer is that I figured Rashawn Slater would take on a mentoring role and help Salyer prepare for his first start. Lo and Behold, Slayer is crediting Slater for how much he helped him prepare for the Texans game. He said that Slater was in his ear all week. So that gives me even more confidence that the Salyer experiment at LT is going to work out and keep this season on track. And think of the rapport Slayer and Slater are building, for when Salyer takes over at LG for Feiler. These two are going to be a solid anchor on the left side of the OL for a long time.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Before the Texans game what gave me confidence about Salyer is that I figured Rashawn Slater would take on a mentoring role and help Salyer prepare for his first start. Lo and Behold, Slayer is crediting Slater for how much he helped him prepare for the Texans game. He said that Slater was in his ear all week. So that gives me even more confidence that the Salyer experiment at LT is going to work out and keep this season on track. And think of the rapport Slayer and Slater are building, for when Salyer takes over at LG for Feiler. These two are going to be a solid anchor on the left side of the OL for a long time.
          Don’t kid yourself. Salyer had a stellar career in college against some of the toughest defensive talent in the country.

Norton was mentored and coached by the same Charger players and coaches far longer than Salyer and look what you got.

Certainly Salyer has benefitted from Charger coaching and tips from Slater, but give the man his deserved credit. He’s very smart, huge, and strong as a bear.

He would be a success anywhere.

Comment

• Air Coryell
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2021
            • Carlsbad, CA
            • Teacher, Coach, CFO
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Don’t kid yourself. Salyer had a stellar career in college against some of the toughest defensive talent in the country.

Norton was mentored and coached by the same Charger players and coaches far longer than Salyer and look what you got.

Certainly Salyer has benefitted from Charger coaching and tips from Slater, but give the man his deserved credit. He’s very smart, huge, and strong as a bear.

You can't overcome physical shortcomings at this level. Storm is a nice kid, but he doesn't have it. Slayer, yes!

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Jamaree Salyer was the 2018 first overall offensive guard prospect.

One of Salyer’s most attractive traits to NFL teams will be his versatility, as he showed the capability to play in all five positions along the offensive line. Salyer projects long-term as a guard, but his ability to step in at other spots brings added value to any team that drafts him.

Prophetic of the Red and Black to state in April, hmmm?

Leading up to the 2022 NFL draft from April 28-30, The Red & Black is previewing each of Georgia’s 15 prospects. Up next is versatile offensive lineman Jamaree Salyer, who

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Former NFL offensive line coach and OL guru Paul Alexander worked with Jamaree Salyer,
                and is very proud of our big guy's accomplishments.

He also says we need to stay tuned for a few weeks to see how he holds up vs different pass rusher styles.

It is noteworthy that we have non-prototype offensive tackles in Slater and Salyer,
                both well coached by tutors who know what they are doing, Duke Manyweather and Paul Alexander.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Jamaree Salyer was the 2018 first overall offensive guard prospect.

Prophetic of the Red and Black to state in April, hmmm?

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/n...f53847eb0.html
                  and then the article goes on to say....
                  at left guard and right tackle, two positions Salyer could fit at.
                  personally, think that as soon as Rashawn comes back, that Salyer is our new RT.... hopefully Zion moves over to LG, and we sign a FA RG to replace Feiler's contract.

will also add that counting on Linsley for another coupla few years is ill advised GMing, as he is obviously showing signs of concern regarding his longterm health, which were already in question when we signed him, and part of the reason he was not resigned in Green Bay.
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Salyer looked good on a couple of run blocking plays, maybe as good or better than Slater. Slater is better at pass blocking at this time, tho, as Slater has been up against so many different types of pass rushers.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

IIRC, Zion and Jamaree were #1 and #2 in bench press. So “not notably strong” is inaccurate, to be kind.

also, it was Jamaree’s perceived lack of agility, not strength, that was a reason for his slide to 6 round.
                      I agree on your second point, and some of the GA tape i saw he didn’t look fluid - though I didnt watch a lot. They, and I, were 100% wrong. He was very smooth and agile on Sunday with a quick first step to catch the edge and not lose leverage.

Zion wasn’t projected as a R1 draft pick to be elite because of his strength, he was projected to be elite because of how athletically he moves. So while he is strong, he wasn’t JUST strong and big, which was TT’s original OL build model.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                        Salyer looked good on a couple of run blocking plays, maybe as good or better than Slater. Slater is better at pass blocking at this time, tho, as Slater has been up against so many different types of pass rushers.
                        I think a better LG next to him would help that as well. Not a Feiler fan - he’s serviceable but we won’t have an elite rush attack with him here. May have been just anecdotal but they seemed to run block better to the right than left all year? Idunno - thats why we have experts here.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think a better LG next to him would help that as well. Not a Feiler fan - he’s serviceable but we won’t have an elite rush attack with him here. May have been just anecdotal but they seemed to run block better to the right than left all year? Idunno - thats why we have experts here.
                          The Chargers originally slotted Jamaree as a guard, as did most draft analysts, however can you imagine Zion and Salyer mowing down run defenses on that right side if Salyer played RT? Now that’s the ultimate power formation.

Comment

Working...
                          X