• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
    Word out of camp today is Pipkins got 100% of the snaps with the first unit at RT. First time it hasn’t been a 50/50 split.
    Board said same thing vs Dallas. Separation :troll:
    Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 08-23-2022, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

What happened to JC?

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

COSTA MESA, Calif. — The Chargers held their 17th practice of training camp Monday afternoon. After three weeks of practicing at Jack R. Hammett Sports Complex, the Chargers moved down the road to the Hoag Performance Center, their team facility, for the three practices this week.

Here are my observations, notes and takeaways.

Right tackle battle is almost decided
        Trey Pipkins III and Storm Norton have been splitting first-team reps at right tackle throughout training camp as they battled for the starting spot. That continued in the preseason games, with Pipkins playing 33 total snaps at right tackle and Norton playing 36 snaps, including 20 a piece Saturday night.

On Monday, though, it was Pipkins who took all the first-team reps at right tackle in practice.

Coming off Saturday’s preseason game, the first-team unit got all the work in team drills. The reserve players were still just two days removed from the game. Justin Herbert, Austin Ekeler, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Corey Linsley, Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack, Derwin James Jr., Nasir Adderley, Kyle Van Noy, Sebastian Joseph-Day and other starters did not play in the preseason game. So they were the focal point of Monday’s practice, and the second- and third-team players got a bit of a breather.

Pipkins was at right tackle for all six offensive series, blocking for Herbert. Norton looked on. We will see what happens at Tuesday’s practice. But considering how the Chargers had meticulously divided the reps during camp, Pipkins taking over for an entire practice is a good indication of how this competition is trending.

We spoke to Staley before Monday’s practice, and he had this to say on the right tackle battle: “We’re getting close to being able to make a decision on that. I think it’s been great for both guys to compete and to come to practice every day with a real healthy competition. There’s a healthy respect for one another. And I think there’s the respect that they know that we have for them too, that we didn’t have to go outside of our team to address our right tackle because we think both of those guys are quality players. And so it’s been a really good competition, and no matter how it shakes out, it’s going to be good for our football team.”

I thought Pipkins played slightly better than Norton on Saturday against the Cowboys. He was more consistent in pass protection, and he really flashes as a run blocker when he can move to the second level and get out in space. But the reality is there is only a marginal difference between these two players. They have both had good reps. They have both had bad reps. Pipkins provides more upside because of his elite athleticism, and I think that will be a factor in the final decision.

Either way, the Chargers are going to have a relative weak spot at right tackle heading into this season, and they are going to have to game plan — with targeted help and chips to that side — to mitigate that weakness come Week 1.

Staley said whoever wins the starting job “is going to be our starter” and that there will not be any sort of rotation in the regular season.

News and notes
        • Twelve players missed practice Monday: CB J.C. Jackson, TE Donald Parham Jr., WR Joshua Palmer, RB Isaiah Spiller, S Alohi Gilman, S Mark Webb, CB Tevaughn Campbell, edge rusher Emeke Egbule, LB Damon Lloyd, edge rusher Ty Shelby, CB Deane Leonard and CB Kemon Hall.

• Jackson was the most notable missing player. When asked about injuries before practice, Staley did not mention Jackson. But he was not on the practice field, and I was told the absence was injury-related. Jackson was in the building Monday.

• Spiller is dealing with an ankle injury he suffered Saturday. Staley said Spiller is “week to week” and will miss Friday’s preseason finale at the Saints. Staley also said there is “a chance” Spiller will not be ready for the season opener against the Raiders.

• Palmer is in the concussion protocol, Staley said. The injury occurred in the game Saturday.

• Parham (hamstring) and Campbell (knee) will both be out this week, Staley said. Leonard (hamstring) and Shelby (leg) are both expected to be out, as well. Webb (calf) and Gilman (unspecified tightness) are “very questionable” for Friday night, Staley said.

• LB Kenneth Murray Jr., who had ankle surgery in the spring, passed his physical and has been removed from the physically unable to perform list. He participated in individual drills Monday. Staley said of Murray: “There’s definitely enough time for him to be ready for the season.”

• Webb has not been able to stay on the field in his two seasons with the Chargers. He missed time in training camp last summer with a hamstring injury. Webb then only played in seven regular-season games before landing on injured reserve after knee surgery, and he missed the offseason program while recovering from that surgery. Now Webb is dealing with another training camp soft-tissue injury, this time with his calf. He sat out both preseason games and has missed close to half of the training camp practices. “It’s been a tough stretch for Mark,” Staley said. “We like what Mark’s done when he’s been on the field. But when you miss that much practice time, I think it’s hard to improve as a player, especially at this stage of his career, where he’s at the beginning. But we’re just going to try to stay patient with him. I know he’s working hard to get back, and we’re hoping that takes place soon.”

• James returned to team drills Monday and was on the field for 11-on-11. He was rotating into the slot, as he did at times last season.

• I asked Staley about how the coaching staff can help safety JT Woods improve as a tackler. His response: “I think you have to put him in as many non-choreographed movements as possible, where it’s not just a tackling drill, it’s a response to a real runner. You’re trying to put him in all of the positions that he would have to face. Is it a space tackle? Is it a profile tackle? Is it a tackle from the side? Is it a special teams tackle? There’s a lot of different types of tackles he’s going to have to make. I think we’re just trying to put him in as many positions as possible. A lot of it is just him understanding his own game because I think that you can definitely improve your tackling ability. It’s not like shooting a jump shot or throwing a pass like, where a lot of people say that you can’t really improve accuracy, or you can’t really improve that. I think as a tackler, what we’re looking for is do you have the willingness? Like, are you willing? That’s a big part of it, and he’s willing. Then, physically, do you have the engine? He has the engine. He’s got long arms. And a lot of it’s just angles, timing, understanding who he is. We’re working through that with him. It’s going to be a big part of his game that we need to shape, but he’s the right guy to be coaching, for sure.”

Comment

• Shock&Awe
          Great White North
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Let’s hope Pipkins can hold up during the regular season, if not we’re going to have a turnstile RT all season again with nothing behind him to look forward to.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post
            Let’s hope Pipkins can hold up during the regular season, if not we’re going to have a turnstile RT all season again with nothing behind him to look forward to.
            If Salyer progresses enough to be reliable at LG, Matt Feiler would be freed up to go to RT

To me, that's the most encouraging part of the news that Salyer is progressing well: If Salyer is a reliable option, then the O-line has THAT much more depth and flexibility.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

If Salyer progresses enough to be reliable at LG, Matt Feiler would be freed up to go to RT

To me, that's the most encouraging part of the news that Salyer is progressing well: If Salyer is a reliable option, then the O-line has THAT much more depth and flexibility.
              It's a very big if !

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Dude just won the job and you’re replacing him with a guy that was t considered for the job when it was open

Comment

• kgbpasha
                  #болтап
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Norton should have spent the offseason with Mannyweather.
                  Congrats to Pip.

Webb is constantly injured. wtf? Free up a roster spot.

Already bought my Bandy jersey.

#boltup #ourway

Comment

• Duck of Death
                    Social Piranha
                    • May 2022
                    • Flyover, USA
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

It's a very big if !
                    Granted. But it’s hard not to be excited about this guy. Let’s not forget his body of work - 0 sacks allowed in 2021 playing in the SEC. He stopped Ojabo and Hutchinson, serving up a nasty pancake on the latter. Ojabo did get free for one pressure as I recall, but other than that, Salyer pretty much neutralized them both. He also held his own against Will Anderson, who will likely be a top 3 pick next year, if not #1. I still don’t get how he fell so far.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Dude just won the job and you’re replacing him with a guy that was t considered for the job when it was open
                      I'm not saying, "Replace Pipkins (or Norton) with Feiler, even if he's playing well!"

I'm saying that Salyer's competence at guard would give the Bolts the flexibility to move Feiler over to RT *IF* the need rose.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

Granted. But it’s hard not to be excited about this guy. Let’s not forget his body of work - 0 sacks allowed in 2021 playing in the SEC. He stopped Ojabo and Hutchinson, serving up a nasty pancake on the latter. Ojabo did get free for one pressure as I recall, but other than that, Salyer pretty much neutralized them both. He also held his own against Will Anderson, who will likely be a top 3 pick next year, if not #1. I still don’t get how he fell so far.
                        He's overweight.

Comment

• Scott Green
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

He's overweight.
                          Hey, we are talking about Salyer. Don't drag my personal life into this. I'm not overweight I'm festively plump.

Comment

Working...
                          X