• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post
    Let’s hope Pipkins can hold up during the regular season, if not we’re going to have a turnstile RT all season again with nothing behind him to look forward to.
    He is still going to be the weak link in the OL and in today’s NFL, right tackle has become much more difficult and important than it is used to be. It’s still not as critical as LT for a right handed QB, but the gap has closed. I think Pipkins is/will be better than the Pipkins of the past. And he will be better than Norton. But we have to be realistic and not pee our pants every time he gives up a pressure, sack or gets called.

Listening to Staley, it sure sounds like Mark Webb is a goner.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

He is still going to be the weak link in the OL and in today’s NFL, right tackle has become much more difficult and important than it is used to be. It’s still not as critical as LT for a right handed QB, but the gap has closed. I think Pipkins is/will be better than the Pipkins of the past. And he will be better than Norton. But we have to be realistic and not pee our pants every time he gives up a pressure, sack or gets called.

Listening to Staley, it sure sounds like Mark Webb is a goner.

TG
      I think the biggest part of Pipkins starting is with Zion at RG we have significantly improved the run blocking on the right side. While it is likely a marginal improvement in the passing game I do think our run game has taken a large step forward this offseason, and that will have its own effect on the passing game.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

I think the biggest part of Pipkins starting is with Zion at RG we have significantly improved the run blocking on the right side. While it is likely a marginal improvement in the passing game I do think our run game has taken a large step forward this offseason, and that will have its own effect on the passing game.
        Even going back to last year and the two games pipkins started you could tell the run blocking was a lot better than when norton’s was in, it was obvious just looking at it, he was engaging and moving people well, he was sustaining blocks and finding work down the field…if the chargers are going to run more to help pip tire out the pass rush and since they will be carrying 4 RBs, they ought to consider picking up a RB cut from another team…roundtree should be replaced….I’ve watched a few games from other teams this preseason just to catch the progress of certain rookies I followed before the draft…and one thing that consistently kept popping up was how much faster and better the reserve RBs are on those teams compared to the chargers…at least last year we had a viable backp when jackson wasn’t hurt, kelley might be stronger this year but that was never his biggest problem….he continues to be one of the least instinctive low football IQ running backs I’ve ever seen…I’m assuming (since he went to UCLA) that he’s a really bright kid but when it comes to the classroom, but when running the ball he plays dumb football…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Another reason to replace roundtree is that he was supposedly brought in for his STs play, have I missed something this preseason? I can’t say he’s been blowing it up on STs…

It bothers me this whole we drafted the guy so we can’t part ways with him thing, BUT the minute a guy proves himself even if he’s under 25 if he’s going to cost money to resign or in KWs case NOT going to cost that much money but we have a first rounder we hope pans out instead, we’re going to let him walk and have success somewhere else…
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

If Salyer progresses enough to be reliable at LG, Matt Feiler would be freed up to go to RT

To me, that's the most encouraging part of the news that Salyer is progressing well: If Salyer is a reliable option, then the O-line has THAT much more depth and flexibility.
            Salyer is not ready to start at LG. Next year looks like he could be though, which is really fast development for a late rd OL pick. He could be a gem of a Rd6 pick but highly doubt 2022 use. Norton is better at RT right now than Salyer is at LG.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Salyer is not ready to start at LG. Next year looks like he could be though, which is really fast development for a late rd OL pick. He could be a gem of a Rd6 pick but highly doubt 2022 use. Norton is better at RT right now than Salyer is at LG.
              what have seen that I haven’t? He’s our quality depth right now so I’m not advocating he becomes a starter but salyer has looked almost as good as johnson to me performance wise, he doesn’t get over powered, predictably he’s made a few mental errors or failed to communicate properly with guys that were being swapped around constantly in bailey, sarrel, pipkins, and norton…unlike johnson he was moved back and forth on both sides had to line up with four different tackles and two different centers and considering all that I’ve still been really impressed with him, I’m not sure johnson would’ve looked much better if he’d been swapped around so much

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                But we have to be realistic and not pee our pants every time he gives up a pressure, sack or gets called.
                Love this quote. And knowing this place, each and every single time it happens people will complain about Staley and TT.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

what have seen that I haven’t? He’s our quality depth right now so I’m not advocating he becomes a starter but salyer has looked almost as good as johnson to me performance wise, he doesn’t get over powered, predictably he’s made a few mental errors or failed to communicate properly with guys that were being swapped around constantly in bailey, sarrel, pipkins, and norton…unlike johnson he was moved back and forth on both sides had to line up with four different tackles and two different centers and considering all that I’ve still been really impressed with him, I’m not sure johnson would’ve looked much better if he’d been swapped around so much
                  Also, OG is a new look for him...I dont know that Salyer played much Guard in college. Id have to look...either way, I firmly believe OG is not gonna be a problem for several years...and so far he is looking far more valuable than a typical 6th round pick.
                  Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Also, OG is a new look for him...I dont know that Salyer played much Guard in college. Id have to look...either way, I firmly believe OG is not gonna be a problem for several years...and so far he is looking far more valuable than a typical 6th round pick.
                    I think he literally played a whole season with georgia at RG, but he also had games at RT, C, and LG, before playing LT as a senior…zion also played some tackle and both guard spots in college, but as far as I know he never played center until the senior bowl…which he did with flying colors against future NFL players…

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Love this quote. And knowing this place, each and every single time it happens people will complain about Staley and TT.
                      Yes we will.Having Pip and Stormy "battle" it out for which will be protecting the best player of the whole franchises right side is sad.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Yes we will.Having Pip and Stormy "battle" it out for which will be protecting the best player of the whole franchises right side is sad.
                        the chargers have had numerous opportunities to draft or sign RT FAs over the last 2 years when it became apparent that pipkins was not going to develop for a very long time if at all, their plan has always appeared to be aimed at creating roster situations that would open the door for pipkins to eventually walk thru, he is better than norton right now pass blocking and especially in the run game, but what does that actually mean?…we won’t know until the season starts…norton was a 60.3 PFF rated RT tackle that didn’t even crack the top fifty in the NFL for 2021 despite being one of 32 starters, thirty some odd non starting players that logged qualifying minutes surpassed him, those guys were all second and third string players on their respective teams…I read somewhere that he’d been ranked in the 60s for qualifying offensive tackles…

At this point all we can do is hope for the best, as long as herbert doesn’t get injured the offense should continue to be one of the best in the NFL…unless pipkins has a miraculous unexpectedly good season, then MAYBE next offseason RT is finally addressed properly in the draft or in FA…

Comment

• sdchrgrboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2021
                          • San Diego
                          • Send PM

Any news/update on Jackson?

Comment

Working...
                          X