• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Very cool! Thanks for posting this. (Still upset that CBS didn't renew Fouts' contract.)
    I'm not sure that I can name more than a few announcers I actually think AREN'T horrible.

IMO, Dan is better than most... although that's not saying much, because-- again, IMO-- guys like Steve Levy, Jim Nance and Al Michaels are AWFUL.

Almost everybody talks WAY too much, and repeat themselves so frequently it'll remind you of grandpa after he got dementia. They generally cheer hard for BOTH teams, which doesn't actually qualify as being OBJECTIVE. Also, constant hyperbole-- ie.-- they'll refer to any player who's ranked league-wide in the top third at his position as "elite". It's embarrassing over-promotion.

At this point, I probably like Tony Romo better than anyone else, but like I'm saying... he doesn't have much competition. . .

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I'm not sure that I can name more than a few announcers I actually think AREN'T horrible.

IMO, Dan is better than most... although that's not saying much, because-- again, IMO-- guys like Steve Levy, Jim Nance and Al Michaels are AWFUL.

Almost everybody talks WAY too much, and repeat themselves so frequently it'll remind you of grandpa after he got dementia. They generally cheer hard for BOTH teams, which doesn't actually qualify as being OBJECTIVE. Also, constant hyperbole-- ie.-- they'll refer to any player who's ranked league-wide in the top third at his position as "elite". It's embarrassing over-promotion.

At this point, I probably like Tony Romo better than anyone else, but like I'm saying... he doesn't have much competition. . .
      I used to like Hank Stram as a color commentator...before the snap he would do a quick analysis of the formations, then make a prediction, then 95% of the time, it would come true! Like: "Look at all the room that cornerback is giving Jerry Rice..." Then, BOOM! Montana to Rice for an easy 10 yards! It was uncanny!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

When Dan was at, CBS, was it?, he seemed to go out of his way to not sound like a Charger homer. I get why he’d think he needed to do that to succeed at a national network, but at times he almost seemed anti-charger … just because.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

When Dan was at, CBS, was it?, he seemed to go out of his way to not sound like a Charger homer. I get why he’d think he needed to do that to succeed at a national network, but at times he almost seemed anti-charger … just because.
          Yes. Many Bolt fans saw the same thing. Dan went out of his way to NOT be complimentary to Charger players, seemingly not wanting to be perceived as a homer.

Dan will surface in a booth somewhere. At this stage of his life, there's no reason for him to take on more than he actually enjoys doing. Money isn't a primary objective anymore, he's well-enough off.

I could see him signing with a network that allows him to do west coast college games, limiting the travel time he'd have spend from his base in Oregon.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

i miss Pat Summerall......he was a little bit like wall paper as an announcer.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
              Outback Goon
              • Sep 2018
              • Australia
              • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

It could have been worse. She could have made you watch the Chargers/Raiders 2021 season finale again...............
              plz make the bad man stop

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

i miss Pat Summerall......he was a little bit like wall paper as an announcer.
                Summerall was drab, but allowed the action of the game to speak for itself FAR more than you see (err... 'hear') today.

If a Summerall clone were to broadcast half the Chargers games this season, I'd probably find it a blessed relief.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Peter King's pressing Training Camp issue:

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Posted this in the roster thread but here’s Popper’s top 10 storylines for this training camp.

Comment

• SK21209
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2020
                      • San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      Peter King's pressing Training Camp issue:

Limiting Mack's snap count isn't something I've thought about but does make some sense. Van Noy might have a bigger role than anticipated.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

Limiting Mack's snap count isn't something I've thought about but does make some sense. Van Noy might have a bigger role than anticipated.
                        Maybe, to each point. Mack was very productive last yr prior to foot inj. I don't think he'll play every down, neither will Bosa or KVN.
                        We want the big guns on the field in key situations and vs AFCW opponents. We need to establish leads in games and in W's. Find more opportunities for breaks when we're ahead.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Ideally an edge plays 70% to 75% of snaps maximum. I know some here will hate that.

Comment

Working...
                          X