• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

LB Damon Lloyd drawing attention at Chargers training camp

Linebacker Damon Lloyd has been making noise at Chargers training camp.

While Kenneth Murray, who is recovering from ankle surgery, and Drue Tranquill, who is dealing with a groin issue, have been out of the action, Lloyd has made the most of his opportunities.
    During Tuesday’s session, Lloyd made back-to-back plays in 11-on-11. First, a sack and then a tackle for loss on running back Larry Rountree.
    Lloyd has made positive plays daily since the start of camp, consistently living in the backfield.
    With Murray, Tranquill, Troy Reeder, and Kyle Van Noy near locks, Lloyd is competing with second-year players Nick Niemann and Amen Ogbongbemiga to fill out the depth chart.
    Even if he does not make the team, Lloyd will be a strong candidate to be kept around on the practice squad this year.
    A signee out of The Spring League, Lloyd spent all of the 2021 season on the practice squad.
    Lloyd set a record for tackles in a single season from 2017 to 2019 at Indiana (Pennsylvania), racking up more than 110 tackles in all three seasons.
    I don't know what the team can do with Lloyd. He makes plays and has a history of being a flat out winner. He's a hard worker and a hard studier. I like him. But he's short for the position and has average speed. He looks like a guy that can make the team and make plays, but the team will always be looking to upgrade. Its a tough position to be in. I guess he just has to climb in the ST coaches back pocket to make the team.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Who?!
      not many Chargers I can honestly say I don't know or are familiar withx but who the heck is Lloyd?
      I'll read up.
      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I don't know what the team can do with Lloyd. He makes plays and has a history of being a flat out winner. He's a hard worker and a hard studier. I like him. But he's short for the position and has average speed. He looks like a guy that can make the team and make plays, but the team will always be looking to upgrade. Its a tough position to be in. I guess he just has to climb in the ST coaches back pocket to make the team.
        Lloyd is 6-0, 325#...remember that Perryman was 5-11, and that didn't seem to hurt him...

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Lloyd is 6-0, 325#...remember that Perryman was 5-11, and that didn't seem to hurt him...
          Yeah, but I read somewhere, he also has narrow hips…somewhere.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Anticipation and knowing where to be, shedding blocks and tackling runners: those things are not measurable.

#236 pounds is about right for the new type of inside linebacker.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Lloyd and Niemann are both flashing. If we give KVN an edge roster spot and keep 5 ILBs for ST reason, who is it? Murray, Tranq, Reeder pretty much locks. Lloyd vs Ogbongbemiga for last spot?

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

Just watched a presser with Joseph-Day! He was asked about the Oline and his answer was pretty telling.

He listed every starter on the Oline, and left out the RT position, and Storm & Pip. Man we better get solid RT play in preseason, and in these first few games!!!!!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                  Lloyd and Niemann are both flashing. If we give KVN an edge roster spot and keep 5 ILBs for ST reason, who is it? Murray, Tranq, Reeder pretty much locks. Lloyd vs Ogbongbemiga for last spot?
                  That's why I love training camp. Who shows up and WANTS it the most.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Yeah, but I read somewhere, he also has narrow hips…somewhere.
                    I see, so we are looking for LB’s with coca-cola body. Got it. JK

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

They say you want to get punts off in 2.6 seconds or less. I heard we are now consistently between 1.8 and 2.1 seconds.

Watching us punt last year was miserable. Not only do you not want to be punting (means the offense failed to convert a third down), but it felt like we were always on the verge of being blocked.
                      Thats one of the stats I heard, exactly. And yes - last year felt like every single punt was at risk of being blocked.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Samuel was running in his hip pocket; i saw a push off by Palmer; and then Samuel just made a bad play on an under thrown pass.
                        :fight:
                        That didnt look like a push off to me. Palmer seems to know how to use his body to screen defenders.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                          Just watched a presser with Joseph-Day! He was asked about the Oline and his answer was pretty telling.

He listed every starter on the Oline, and left out the RT position, and Storm & Pip. Man we better get solid RT play in preseason, and in these first few games!!!!!
                          Probably because the RT position hasn’t been decided yet. Stop freaking out.

Comment

Working...
                          X