• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Well, theoretically it's a lot easier to upgrade one position than an entire unit...
    Of course. I'm just saying that the original argument sounded like, "Yeah, I know the defense played at a C-minus level, but if the offense had played at an 'A-minus' level, instead of a B-plus, we'd have gone to the playoffs!"

Tough to criticize the 'O', when the 'D' sucked so much more thoroughly.

Comment

• eaterfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Of course. I'm just saying that the original argument sounded like, "Yeah, I know the defense played at a C-minus level, but if the offense had played at an 'A-minus' level, instead of a B-plus, we'd have gone to the playoffs!"

Absolutely! But it just seems silly to have not upgraded the position when it was such a glaringly obvious need and only required one guy to fix it.

I know Xenos said Moses would have been the only available upgrade, but I disagree. I think Kelley and Reiff would have, too. Granted Reiff signed for out of our price range, but maybe he would have been cheaper right after the draft before the Bears got desperate to move on from Jenkins.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

If Herb didn't get his ass kicked LAST year, he won't get it kicked THIS year with the line improved by Zion Johnson.

I think the question is, will Herb be getting great protection? Or good protection? Whoever plays at RT will do better than the job Norton did last year, even if it's Norton.
        Good post. A lot of posters act like Norton's game vs Maxx was the same all year. That wasn't true. He had some decent games and lousy games. Averaged out the 2017 UDFA was a bottom level NFL STARTER in his 1st season as one. He should improve, some at least. Pipkons played a couple games last year, looked good in them and has gotten good press for his offseason work.
        Zion appears to be a solid upgrade at RG which impacts whoever starts at RT favorably. Also good: OT practice vs Bpsa / Mack.
        The RT competition is legit IMO which is nice. We haven't had a good RT in this century.

Comment

• charger1993
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

T. Jenkins screams "bad news!" I'm staying away.
          Could be bad news.but what's the downside? He's young, does have health problems. But if he comes in and isn't better than storm or pip then we lost a 5th. If he comes in and is better than those 2 . We upgraded a weakness for a 5th or a 6th.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Good post. A lot of posters act like Norton's game vs Maxx was the same all year. That wasn't true. He had some decent games and lousy games. Averaged out the 2017 UDFA was a bottom level NFL STARTER in his 1st season as one. He should improve, some at least. Pipkons played a couple games last year, looked good in them and has gotten good press for his offseason work.
            Zion appears to be a solid upgrade at RG which impacts whoever starts at RT favorably. Also good: OT practice vs Bpsa / Mack.
            The RT competition is legit IMO which is nice. We haven't had a good RT in this century.
            He looked good when he got a ton of help. Its like a street fight where someone's buddies hold down the opponents arms.

His improvement will be marginal, not sufficient enough to stop me from pissing in my pants just thinking about the guys who will line up over him come playoff time.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Just for my amusement: i have nothing to do right now.

Ranking Charger RTs this century:

#1. Vaughn Parker (he was good)
              #2. Jeromey Clary
              #3. Sean Olivea (RIP)
              #4. Joe Barksdale
              #5. DJ Fluker
              #6. Tevi
              #7. Norton
              #8. Courtney van Buren

Comments? Some one will bitterly complain about that list.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

He looked good when he got a ton of help. Its like a street fight where someone's buddies hold down the opponents arms.

His improvement will be marginal, not sufficient enough to stop me from pissing in my pants just thinking about the guys who will line up over him come playoff time.
                Maxx Crosby is pretty good We were 1-1 vs his team last year. LVR lost, Maxx had 1 sack when Aboushi was playing RG.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post

Could be bad news.but what's the downside? He's young, does have health problems. But if he comes in and isn't better than storm or pip then we lost a 5th. If he comes in and is better than those 2 . We upgraded a weakness for a 5th or a 6th.
                  This team doesn't need distractions, and I fear that's what Jenkins would be.

We'll see if Telesco has any interest, but I suspect not.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Just for my amusement: i have nothing to do right now.

Ranking Charger RTs this century:

#1. Vaughn Parker (he was good)
                    #2. Jeromey Clary
                    #3. Sean Olivea (RIP)
                    #4. Joe Barksdale
                    #5. DJ Fluker
                    #6. Tevi
                    #7. Norton
                    #8. Courtney van Buren

Comments? Some one will bitterly complain about that list.
                    Got me. Parker was good. Since he left then.'02?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Here's a write up from Chargers.com about todays practice session.

Chargers Camp Report: Mike Williams, J.C. Jackson Highlight Tuesday's 1-on-1 Drills

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

No it isn’t. If the D effs up, call it; if the O effs up, call it. No playoffs = blame everywhere.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Maxx made Storm his GF that last game.A real RT probably would have got us into the POs.
                          Storm did a better job the first game against Maxx. I wonder what happened? With that being said, I still think it’s Pipkins job to lose.

Comment

Working...
                          X