• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
    Extension kicks in after this year so essentially 5 year deal.
    It’s been reported to be a 4 year 76mil deal at 19mil per season, but it’s slapped on to the last year of his rookie contract so it’s actually 5 years 85mil at 17mil per season, making him the 3rd highest paid safety in the NFL…

I don’t think derwin cares about the contract length etc…I think he wanted the guaranteed money and he’s getting a 20mil check up front this year plus 9mil base salary,…he gets the second 20mil chunk next year, it’s a large contract but the structure is cap friendly for the chargers…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I get you but funny none the less. He's one of 11 players out there and our supporting cast dropped off for numerous games last season due to injuries and such. I look at Bosa and James as 1.5 players. The combined duo gives us an effective 12 man defense vs. 11.

:beer:
      Just win some Lombardis. That's all.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
        Very high priced, deserving player, who if he can stay healthy, the most impactful safety to his franchise in NFL.
        The chargers have had superstars before, but out of all those guys, I don’t know of one that has recruited talent to the chargers like derwin has…the chargers aren’t just signing a safety,…he’s an ambassador for the team…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

The chargers have had superstars before, but out of all those guys, I don’t know of one that has recruited talent to the chargers like derwin has…the chargers aren’t just signing a safety,…he’s an ambassador for the team…
          True that. I know he worked he ambassadored JC Jackson to sign. Although I think the biggest recruiter of FA talent is Herbert, just by how good he is.

Comment

• JOJAX85
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Irmo, SC
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

It’s been reported to be a 4 year 76mil deal at 19mil per season, but it’s slapped on to the last year of his rookie contract so it’s actually 5 years 85mil at 17mil per season, making him the 3rd highest paid safety in the NFL…

I don’t think derwin cares about the contract length etc…I think he wanted the guaranteed money and he’s getting a 20mil check up front this year plus 9mil base salary,…he gets the second 20mil chunk next year, it’s a large contract but the structure is cap friendly for the chargers…
            I don't know if anyone of them care about the contract length anymore, because the contracts aren't worth the paper they are written. Get the guaranteed money & bet on yourself.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

I don't know if anyone of them care about the contract length anymore, because the contracts aren't worth the paper they are written. Get the guaranteed money & bet on yourself.
              Yep. Guaranteed money is really the only thing that matters.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

I don't know if anyone of them care about the contract length anymore, because the contracts aren't worth shit. Get the guaranteed money & bet on yourself.
                Depending on what happens with his health, once the bonus money is all paid it would not surprise me to see the chargers extend him or restructure again like they did with Mack, these types of players demand money up front precisely because of what you said…

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  Comments to Ian’s tweet are brutal. Lots of tweets about overpaying for a guy who misses half the games
                  And he plays with significant injuries too (like with the shoulder last season). It is a lot of money and years for someone so injury-prone. We all want him to be healthy but hmmm. I guess you have to pay for upside regardless of how likely it's achieved.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
                    Great White North
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Happy to finally have it made official. Hopefully he stays healthy and proves his worth throughout the contract. This deal also pretty much kills the Bengals hope of keeping Bates around. They probably have to trade him now but it’s not an ideal time to do it.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Very well done by the Chargers. Wish would have been done 3 weeks ago, but we don't know what the negotiations were about. This certainly is yet another example contrary to the "Spanoses are cheap!" "Chargers don't reward their own players!" " Telesco is an idiot!" opinions so often voiced here.

James is the best safety in the NFL and is getting paid like it. He handled this whole thing right and so did the team. And Staley I thought navigated this better than any head coach I have seen. Spoke up for James and didn't throw the front office under the bus. Players watch stuff like that. Players on other teams watch stuff like that. Prospective FA do.

Off topic, but is Lyndsey Thiry the worst reporter you have ever heard? Her questions are so vague and inane. And I am not just talking about her repeated, obligatory ones about James. She just asks useless stuff. "What makes Justin Herbert such a good player?" 'What about Joey Bosa makes him a good complement to Mack?" "What is the secret to winning?" "Do players know more now in year 2 than they did in year 1 of this offense?" "Do you think it will take a while for all the new players to fit in the defense?" "Austin Ekeler is small but still an effective runner. Why is that?"
                      She is actually worse than Shelley Smith and that is a low bar.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Allen said he’s not only the heart of the defense but the whole team. This was a must signing even if his injury risk is off the charts.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Rick Spielman and Pete Prisco discuss the impact of getting Derwin under contract. These guys know that they are talking about, something that is becoming increasingly rare in NFL punditry these days.

Comment

Working...
                          X