Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Besides the stats below, there’s so many other things that he does for the team.

And yet this was one of poorest-performing defenses in the league last season. Please forgive me if I'm asking for a prove-it season from Derwin. There are no excuses for this defense not to be a top 10 unit in 2021.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

There are probably 130 Safeties in the league. All 130 are going to lose a battle with an OL 1 on 1.
      Time to move Mack to safety.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

And yet this was one of poorest-performing defenses in the league last season. Please forgive me if I'm asking for a prove-it season from Derwin. There are no excuses for this defense not to be a top 10 unit in 2021.
        Not sure how that’s Derwin’s fault. The guy can only do so much to cover everyone else’s behind. There’s a reason we completely overhauled this defense this past offseason.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Two years ago, Derwin James Jr. limped off the training camp field at Jack R. Hammett Sports Complex. He grabbed at his right leg as he walked. A training staff member followed next to James, carrying his helmet. James did not know it at the time, but his 2020 season was over. It was a torn meniscus in his right knee that would require surgery. A second consecutive significant summer injury. Another year of rehab. Another year of missed games. James had set the field on fire in his All-Pro rookie season. But in the days and weeks following his 2020 injury, he was grappling with painful uncertainty. An arduous path back to that field awaited him.

That James is here now, newly crowned as the highest-paid safety in NFL history, is a testament to who he is as a player and a person — magnetically determined, madly in love with football, uniquely skilled and versatile and overflowing with energy, passion and positivity.

After sitting out the first 14 practices of training camp, James agreed to terms on a multiyear contract extension with the Chargerson Wednesday, The Athletic confirmed and the team later announced. The extension is for four years, $76.532 million, with $42 million guaranteed, a source with direct knowledge of the contract told The Athletic’s Jeff Howe. Both the $19.133 million in average annual value and guaranteed money are records for a safety.

James rehabbed his knee injury and returned to practice field for organized team activities in May of last year. His relationship with new head coach Brandon Staley was blossoming. James met with the media on May 24, 2021, and, naturally, he was asked questions about his injuries — first a stress fracture in his foot in 2019, then the torn meniscus, both of which happened in practice. Would the injuries affect his mentality? Would he adjust his practice habits given the 27 games missed in two seasons?

“I can be smarter here and there,” James said then. “But I’m here to play football.”

And that is exactly what he did. James was the lifeblood of this Chargers defense last season. He played five different positions in Staley’s defensive scheme — strongside safety, weakside safety, slot corner, dime backer and a hybrid edge rusher position — while relaying the plays in the huddle as the defensive signal caller. He had three forced fumbles, two sacks and two interceptions across 15 games, all while battling through a labrum tear in his shoulder he suffered in the third game of the season.

With the way James played last season, this deal getting done was inevitable. James is the type of player you build a defense — and a team — around. There is quite literally nothing on a football field James cannot do as a defensive player. He is so much more than a safety. And he is so much more than just a player. He is a leader. He is a cornerstone. He is an inspiration and a standard-setter.

“If you were just looking at him as a safety, that wouldn’t do Derwin justice,” Staley said Tuesday. “For me, I look at him as a defensive back. When I see him, I’m like, that’s a defensive back because he can play anywhere. He can play either safety spot. He can play corner. He can play star or money. He can rush the quarterback and make an impact as a blitzer. He can make an impact in man-to-man coverage. And then he can make an impact in zone defense, whether he’s playing low or high. And he’s our signal caller and the heartbeat of our defense.”

The Chargers have legitimate Super Bowl aspirations in 2022, and James, along with Justin Herbert, is at the center of those plans. Staley and general manager Tom Telesco overhauled their defensive roster in the offseason. Ownership invested the cash, and the Chargers came away with Khalil Mack, J.C. Jackson, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Austin Johnson, Kyle Van Noy and Bryce Callahan.

The last piece of this puzzle was getting James back on the practice field.

He deserves every last penny of this contract extension. When healthy, James is as impactful a defensive player as there is in football. He has come so far from those dark days in the summer of 2020.

The final loose end in this whirlwind offseason has been tied.

Now the Chargers’ focus can turn exclusively to the ultimate goal: a Lombardi Trophy.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

We dont need 2 Derwin threads. So ill lock the other one.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                We dont need 2 Derwin threads. So ill lock the other one.
                Lock this one... its older.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

Actually merged. lol I like big threads.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Ha, just noticed... thx "boss"

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Lets just label Derwin a "Impact Defensive Back", not a Safety. Just wondering... what's the biggest current contract for a Corner?

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                        Ha, just noticed... thx "boss"
                        I had some internal struggles with DJ personally. Never opened up about it because i know it would not be a popular take.

I love him when he plays. But he is a china doll. Im also more about awarding guys for their body of work. And his is tainted with unavailability. Would have liked him to boost his stock by playing 1 more full season....let us use the 5th year option and then pay him prior to that 5th year.

I will say this....i think he held in and wanted big money now because he doesn't trust his body. I think it was more about that than thinking he earned it.

So it doesnt sit great with me. But you have to do it. I think there might be guys out there that would have traded him for a ransom.

Well at least now that he has guarantees he will play with reckless abandon. I refuse to cringe every time he makes a tackle or hits the ground making a play.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I had some internal struggles with DJ personally. Never opened up about it because i know it would not be a popular take.

I love him when he plays. But he is a china doll. Im also more about awarding guys for their body of work. And his is tainted with unavailability. Would have liked him to boost his stock by playing 1 more full season....let us use the 5th year option and then pay him prior to that 5th year.

I will say this....i think he held in and wanted big money now because he doesn't trust his body. I think it was more about that than thinking he earned it.

So it doesnt sit great with me. But you have to do it. I think there might be guys out there that would have traded him for a ransom.

Well at least now that he has guarantees he will play with reckless abandon. I refuse to cringe every time he makes a tackle or hits the ground making a play.
                          I want Derwin to turn it around the same way that KA did. I want him to have spectacular games that will help lift this team up from its mediocrity.

Comment

Working...
                          X