Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    Tweets like this one is why I’m unconcerned. And also why I advise patience. He’ll play this year with or without an extension IMO.

The Chargers had better to learn to draft well. Because after Herbert gets paid they won't be able to afford to bring in studs like Mack and Jackson and they will not be able to re-sign all of their own free agents. They're going to need really good drafts in order to replenish talent that ages out or signs elsewhere.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
      Great White North
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

It's obvious that this is an agent trying to get the most for himself(and his player) and the organization doing their best to save some cash from potential injuries and the cap space tightening up when Herbert negotiations start. Derwin knows it's not personal. I'm still not concerned about what's going on here. Same thing is happening in Cincinnati right now with Jessie Bates and Burrow/Chase deals on the horizon.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The Chargers had better to learn to draft well. Because after Herbert gets paid they won't be able to afford to bring in studs like Mack and Jackson and they will not be able to re-sign all of their own free agents. They're going to need really good drafts in order to replenish talent that ages out or signs elsewhere.
        Draft & develop for the most part.
        Pats are a good model, they trade for a lot of picks and they get FAs who just want a ring. You have to convince people that you are that team though.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post
          It's obvious that this is an agent trying to get the most for himself(and his player) and the organization doing their best to save some cash from potential injuries and the cap space tightening up when Herbert negotiations start. Derwin knows it's not personal. I'm still not concerned about what's going on here. Same thing is happening in Cincinnati right now with Jessie Bates and Burrow/Chase deals on the horizon.
          Difference is that Bates isn’t coming back to Cindy after this season. That bridge is burned. They drafted Dax Hill as his replacement.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            I missed this, but a few days ago a Bleacher Report writer named Derwin as one of 5 NFL stars who could request a trade over failed contract negotiations.

There have been a handful of trades during the 2022 NFL offseason already and more could be coming down the pipeline in the coming months. There are several...

This says a lot of Bleacher report. First, the lowest hanging fruit for the contract negotiations thing has to be Roquan Smith and Kareem Hunt. Hunt is mentioned, but Smith isn't on the list, or even mentioned. Just saying.

And I can't believe Miami's TE Gesicki isn't on that list. I read somewhere that he and the Dolphins haven't even had any talks about an extension. Not sure how true, but with a new HC, a change in scheme, and his inability to block inline, it would make as much, or maybe more sense than some of the others on the list.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Lazy reporting.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2021
                • Carlsbad, CA
                • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                • Send PM

Are the Chargers going to screw this up as in past years? Would like him signed NOW!. A holdout would be a huge negative to such a promising season. Get it done TT; NOW!

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                  Are the Chargers going to screw this up as in past years? Would like him signed NOW!. A holdout would be a huge negative to such a promising season. Get it done TT; NOW!
                  I don't think you can blame TT. Every contract they give out now has to take into account what they are going to have to pay Herbert. That is what is holding up Derwin's contract.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                    What if his agent is asking for unreasonable money? Should the teamblindly give it to him with no thought to what affect it has downstream?

Comment

• jubei
                      Vagabond Ninja
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Yeah future contracts have to keep in mind Herbert's stratospheric contract. and personally I'd rather keep Herbert than Derwin...not that I dont like Derwin but IMO Herbert's position is WAY MORE important.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                        Yeah future contracts have to keep in mind Herbert's stratospheric contract. and personally I'd rather keep Herbert than Derwin...not that I dont like Derwin but IMO Herbert's position is WAY MORE important.
                        This is the dilemma.... a solid DB with ???? vs. a potential HOF QB like Dan Marino.

:2cents:
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

This is the dilemma.... a solid DB with ???? vs. a potential HOF QB like Dan Marino.

:2cents:
                          I don't think there's any question that Herbert is more valuable to the Chargers than James. I'm sure the Chargers know that; I'm sure James knows that. There is ZERO chance that Herbert leaves the building. OTOH, if James/agent dig their heels in, and the Chargers deem such money demands too steep, I can certainly see a scenario where James is no longer with the team. Even if, as some have said, he gives in - temporarily - and plays out the final year of his contract here, he always has the option of becoming a FA next off-season. And in that scenario, he would almost certainly get what he wants, contract-wise.

Comment

Working...
                          X