• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I had some internal struggles with DJ personally. Never opened up about it because i know it would not be a popular take.

I love him when he plays. But he is a china doll. Im also more about awarding guys for their body of work. And his is tainted with unavailability. Would have liked him to boost his stock by playing 1 more full season....let us use the 5th year option and then pay him prior to that 5th year.

I will say this....i think he held in and wanted big money now because he doesn't trust his body. I think it was more about that than thinking he earned it.

So it doesnt sit great with me. But you have to do it. I think there might be guys out there that would have traded him for a ransom.

Well at least now that he has guarantees he will play with reckless abandon. I refuse to cringe every time he makes a tackle or hits the ground making a play.
    Do you mean use the franchise tag? Because he is on his 5th year option currently. And we just paid him before his 5th year.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

I never had any doubt that this would get done.

Seriously, I gotta believe that management has, well, managed the contract so that we have the room to renegotiate Herbert, as soon as next off-season. But having James in the fold was definitely a piece to the puzzle that needed attention. Glad it's over.

Now...are you ready for some football??

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I had some internal struggles with DJ personally. Never opened up about it because i know it would not be a popular take.

I love him when he plays. But he is a china doll. Im also more about awarding guys for their body of work. And his is tainted with unavailability. Would have liked him to boost his stock by playing 1 more full season....let us use the 5th year option and then pay him prior to that 5th year.

I will say this....i think he held in and wanted big money now because he doesn't trust his body. I think it was more about that than thinking he earned it.

So it doesnt sit great with me. But you have to do it. I think there might be guys out there that would have traded him for a ransom.

Well at least now that he has guarantees he will play with reckless abandon. I refuse to cringe every time he makes a tackle or hits the ground making a play.
        I can see that perspective, Fleet. James last three seasons he had serious foot injury, then serious knee injury, then season long shoulder injury. That's three significant injuries (even though he worked around the shoulder) in 4 years. And he was injured in college too. It could be his body is just not designed to support his level of fitness and play style. But I really don't think he lacks trust in his own body. I think he feels he earned this and man does Staley make that case. He may have natural concerns about getting hurt and it impacting his career, thus the guranteed money. But that is true of all players.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Fleet 1
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Kauai
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I want Derwin to turn it around the same way that KA did. I want him to have spectacular games that will help lift this team up from its mediocrity.
          I certainly hope i wasnt painting a picture where i want him to fail. lol

Comment

• Fleet 1
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Kauai
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Do you mean use the franchise tag? Because he is on his 5th year option currently. And we just paid him before his 5th year.
            Im an idiot. I missed the 2020 season that is not listed when i look at his stats. lol

Carry on

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

I can see that perspective, Fleet. James last three seasons he had serious foot injury, then serious knee injury, then season long shoulder injury. That's three significant injuries (even though he worked around the shoulder) in 4 years. And he was injured in college too. It could be his body is just not designed to support his level of fitness and play style. But I really don't think he lacks trust in his own body. I think he feels he earned this and man does Staley make that case. He may have natural concerns about getting hurt and it impacting his career, thus the guranteed money. But that is true of all players.

TG
              My hope is that we maybe have some sort of protection from his constant injuries but i doubt it.

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

If you think Derwin isn’t a game changer then go watch the Texans game again. Without him we couldn’t even stop Rex Burkhead.
                Also see what happened when he went down in the second Chiefs game. We got destroyed by Kelce.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

My hope is that we maybe have some sort of protection from his constant injuries but i doubt it.
                  Until there’s more details about the contract, it looks like the main protection is that the contract is front loaded. Which means we pay him less guarantees when he’s older and more likely to be injured or decline.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                    Fluent in Sarcasm
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Iowa
                    • Man of the People
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I would've like to see Derwin slow down the Raiders' run game in Week 18. There is a video of him getting trucked by an OL on a long run by a Raiders' RB for a 1st down that should have been a stop. It was a turning point in the game.
                    Of course, since most safeties excel shedding OL. I mean our DL and LB (outside Bosa) couldn’t do it but Derwin certainly should have.

Comment

• Parcells
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I would've like to see Derwin slow down the Raiders' run game in Week 18. There is a video of him getting trucked by an OL on a long run by a Raiders' RB for a 1st down that should have been a stop. It was a turning point in the game.
                      Wait, an OLineman blew up a safety? That safety must have been trash.

That’s more a failing of the DLine not containing the OLinemen. If the OLine is getting to the DBs, you’ve already lost.

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

There are 32 teams trying to win the Super Bowl. You’ve gotta take some chances and have some good luck. We took a chance drafting Herbert sixth overall 2 years ago, and most of us hated it.

A healthy Derwin is a gamble but could pay off huge.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                          There are 32 teams trying to win the Super Bowl. You’ve gotta take some chances and have some good luck. We took a chance drafting Herbert sixth overall 2 years ago, and most of us hated it.

A healthy Derwin is a gamble but could pay off huge.
                          Healthy Derwin = game-changer, we’ve all seen that. So has management. Now the other players see what they can expect if they play at that level.

Comment

Working...
                          X