Cowboys @ Chargers Preseason Game Day Thread (PS #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

You do realize the Cowboys offense scored as many points as ours did right? And 7 of those were after a fumble at their 20 yard line. Their offense didnt do much. They only had 2 legit drives.

They only had 134 passing yards and 115 rushing.

Our STs coverage and a Stick fumble helped them win.
    not only do I realize that, I posted as much several times on this thread, including several posts before yours and this earlier one in response to jamrock…so while some here typed about a lost season already, I stated multiple times over and over that it was basically a tie game despite us having two turnovers to none and them obviously having better depth players…

Yesterday, 10:17 PM
    Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    The coach will be coaching the team. And he apparently can’t coach depth guys. We need a team full of self starter superstars and luckily we have some key players who fit that bill. But clearly Staley can’t get the most out of players

to which I wrote:
    can’t follow you there, the two teams played an 18-18 tie if you discard the crazy ass special teams plays…I’m not ready to blame staley for those two STs touchdowns…whas he really outcoached tho? His depth players are clearly inferior to the ones that dallas has so I’m not sure I agree with that assessment…

then on post #522 right above yours I wrote:

Take away the screw ups on STs and the chargers played an 18-18 tie, this despite losing the turnover battle and giving the cowboys a really short field on one of those turnovers. Then also we saw the 2nd -3rd team defense tackle poorly again and allow too much rushing yards. So overall the defense basically played like a staley defense from last year but they played well enough to win, our offense was the biggest let down for me, bad play calling, horrible offensive line play, dropped passes, bad timing and late passes, underthrown passes, tipped passes at the LOS, so so RB play our backs could have done better in protection too, kelley still makes poor choices and misses too many opportunities etc…the rest of the guys didn’t show much if anything…
    Last edited by Fouts2herbert; 08-21-2022, 06:11 AM.
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

I went back and re-watched most of the first quarter to see how norton and pipkins did in this game, I’m not PFF but from the small amount I’ve rewatched pipkins looked better than norton. He seems to be communicating with johnson better than norton, the way they worked to together looked smoother and more fluid than the way johnson and norton worked together, that’s my initial incomplete impression from what I saw after rewatching most of the 1st quarter, I have to go back and finish rewatching the rest of the game but I also don’t recall seeing pipkins and maybe norton in the second half at all so that’s why I have to rewatch it…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree, I like him..... but I think he needs to get pissed off at least once in awhile......
        That’s what happens privately. You don’t need to be fiery publicly.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

its not the win loss ratio..... its how they played the game......

btw, that 1994 team was behind at halftime in EVERY win and we came from behind in 2nd half to win those games..... comeback usually was cause by a ST's return or defensive turnover or score.....

that team was the grittiest team chargers have ever had.... and they were virtually impossible to run on...... opposite of what we have been last several years.....
          The Chargers were blown out 31-3 in their second preseason game in 1994.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
            As for Staley you better have this team up and ready for the Raiders or it'll be a long season. Sean Payton is also a option come next season if this season turns out to be a failure.
            I feel good about the Raiders game.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Stick totally reminds me of a Bears QB from the 1970's...Bobby Douglas. He was only good at one thing - running the ball. Stick seems better at passing than Douglas but it's not what he's best at. Stick is quick and fast and made for running. Like that dude in New Orleans (Taysom Hill?).
              His deep passes leave a lot to be desired. From the little I've seen I think that's what he needs to work on the most.

I obviously never want to see this in the regular season with us, but I think we would get a better idea of whether or not he can help us win games if he were to work with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Austin Ekeler, and our entire starting offensive line. Stick is not Herbert or Rivers. My hope is he could be a Stan Humphries.

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

I don't like it 1 bit when you are saying prior to the game and all off season the importance of special teams play, then you come out and get blown out with special teams play being the worst I have ever seen! Poor special teams play is a sign of bad coaching! We saw the same thing under Anthony Lynn.

Here is the argument Staley holds out all the starters in pre-season and when they play it will be a very different out come. Right?

Comment

• Shock&Awe
                  Great White North
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

I just watched the post game presser with Staley, I've never seen him get after guys like that before in the media. Obviously these players are here for a reason, they liked what they saw on tape and in person and think some of them can contribute on the 53/PS, so for them to lay an egg like that in the first half and just straight up fail to execute the basic fundamentals of football, it has to drive a coaching staff bonkers.
                  Last edited by Shock&Awe; 08-21-2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                    Rumph had another good game so at least our depth at pass rush is good. Aside from that and Palmer becoming a damn good WR this game was awful.
                    Aside from right tackle, my biggest concern was whether or not we had a third pass-rusher to complement Bosa and Mack. I like what I've seen from Rumph so far. Hopefully it translates to the regular season.

Since I first saw Palmer play last preseason I have felt great about him becoming the third wide receiver. With all of the reports I have read since then, and the progress he has shown, I have no doubt that he's going to be good for us.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Clearly talking to me here. Worried about regressing is not regressing. I havnt even seen the starters. Is it not ok for me to express some concern that based off the loose and sloppy play of what we roll out there....might actually be happening with our starters? Fuck our OL just got ripped to shreds against dallas. I dont care if its 11v11...you dont want to hear that. Its a concern. You took one word of mine and ran with it on a rant. I also said im very hopeful. And that our starters should rock and roll. Stop cherry picking what i say to call me out. Im not throwing in the towel. I have never been on a team that played so bad that didnt get a total ass chewing by coaches. Bad football is bad football. Its been this way for a while now. Based on what i see with our depth...im praying its not a similar thing with our starters. Relax. We looked like shit. Dont want to hear it then do something else. Im a football guy. Im a fan of good football. Thats not what im seeing in 2 games. I expect way better our of our scrubs.
                      Well you look at what the Chiefs did and Bills in this week of preseason games & then you look at how the Chargers are playing and a red flag could be forming however we all know... Justin Herbert is going to swoop down from the sky like Superman week 1, and then it will be on with this season!

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post
                        I just watched the post game presser with Staley, I've never seen him get after guys like that before in the media. Obviously these players are here for a reason, they liked what they saw on tape and in person and think some of them can contribute on the 53/PS, so for them to lay an egg like that in the first half and just straight up fail to execute the basic fundamentals of football it has to drive a coaching staff bonkers.
                        Staley has to prove this year he actually is a Playoff coach words and going after guys won't get it done. If he can't steer this team into the playoffs this year with this team we'll have other options. Big time.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Bailey got beat a lot, but sarrell, hunter, and jaimes didn’t look that good either…I have to go back and revaluate pipkins, norton, and clapp, but if I had to guess I’d say none of them played all that well…
                          Pipkins impressed me. He needs all the reps next to Zion as Zion needs reps next to Pipkins. Storm is hot trash. Not as much depth as I thought. Dallas knifed through line like Swiss cheese :stirringshit:

Comment

Working...
                          X