Cowboys @ Chargers Preseason Game Day Thread (PS #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Takeaways from Chargers’ preseason loss to Cowboys: Why special teams TDs matter

By Daniel Popper
    5h ago

INGLEWOOD, Calif. — The Chargers lost to the Cowboys 32-18 Saturday night at SoFi Stadium in their second preseason game.

Here are my takeaways.

1. The Chargers special teams allowed two return touchdowns — one kick and one punt, both from former USFL MVP KaVontae Turpin — in the first half. And those, along with two offensive turnovers, turned the game into an ugly blowout after just 30 minutes.

Yes, it is the preseason. And yes, the results of these games do not matter. But special teams is one area of the roster coaches can meaningfully evaluate in the preseason. That is especially the case for the Chargers, who sat 18 starters Saturday night. Special teams coverage units are mostly comprised of depth pieces and bottom-of-the-roster players. Those were the players who suited up for this game — and who were on the field for Turpin’s 98-yard kick return touchdown in the first quarter and 86-yard punt return touchdown in the second quarter.

That is what made these two disastrous plays so concerning. For the most part, the players in the game for the return touchdowns are either already making the roster or legitimately battling for a roster spot.

The coverage unit for the kickoff return: JT Woods (rookie third-round pick, on roster), Troy Reeder (free agent signed as core special teams player), Raheem Layne (fighting for spot), Deane Leonard (fighting for spot), Joshua Kelley (fighting for key role on offense and special teams), Amen Ogbongbemiga (fighting for spot) and Kemon Hall (fighting for spot) — plus Cole Christiansen, Damon Lloyd and Brandon Sebastian, who are likely on the outside looking in.

The coverage unit for the punt return: Leonard, Woods, Layne, Lloyd, Christiansen, Josh Harris (All-Pro long snapper signed as free agent), Zander Horvath (drafted in seventh round to be starting FB and prominent special teams contributor), Larry Rountree III(fighting for spot), Tyreek Maddox-Williams (likely not making the roster) and Hunter Kampmoyer (fighting for spot).

Some starters will play on special teams this season, such as Nasir Adderley, Michael Davis and Drue Tranquill. But if the Chargers are going to be improved on special teams coverage, they cannot merely rely on the added talent and performance from starters. Young players have to step up and carve out a role in this phase.

“I was disappointed because that’s not the way we practiced this week, that’s not the way those guys performed in practice,” head coach Brandon Staley said. “And to come out there and play that way, they’re going to learn a lot from that. They’re going to learn that the entire NFL is watching, and we’re watching the entire NFL. That’s why these games are important when you’re playing. You need to make sure that you perform, or else we’ll find someone else who can. I think that there will be a lot of people that learn a lot from this tonight.”

It does not get much clearer than that.

2. I am starting to develop some serious concern over how Woods is transitioning to the NFL. The Chargers drafted Woods in the third round and had a clear vision for how the former Baylor star would fit into their defense. They love his speed. They love his ball production. And they love how he operates in the deep part of the field. They thought he would be an ideal fit as the second safety next to Adderley in their dime packages and that he would allow Derwin James Jr. to move closer to the line of scrimmage without sacrificing their deep coverage capacity.

The logic made sense after the NFL Draft. But tackling was always a weakness of Woods’ game. And now that we are seeing Woods in game action, that weakness is showing up. He had three missed tackles on defense Saturday night. He missed a tackle on a Turpin jet sweep in space near the right sideline in the second quarter. Later on that drive, Woods was run over by running back Malik Davis at the end of a 9-yard run. On the next drive, Woods missed a tackle in space after a short completion to tight end Jake Ferguson. It should have been a 5-yard gain. Ferguson ended up rumbling for 24 yards.

In theory, Woods will not be around the ball as much if they shrink his role in the regular season. His primary responsibility would be covering the deep part of the field. In the first preseason game, though, Woods badly misplayed a deep ball down the left sideline that resulted in a 60-yard touchdown for Rams receiver Lance McCutcheon. Woods has also been beat over the top for several completions in camp practices.

Woods’ physical tools are undeniable, namely his 4.36 40 time. And it is still way too early to make any sort of final determination on who he could be for the Chargers this season. But tackling is an essential skill for any defensive player in the NFL, regardless of role or position. Did the Chargers overlook some obvious flaws and fall in love with the measurables? Only time will tell. The early returns are not great. At this point, the Chargers probably have no choice but to use Alohi Gilman as that second safety in dime packages in the early stages of the regular season. Woods does not look ready.

3. The battle for the second running back spot behind Austin Ekeler continued Saturday, but not much progress was made. Kelley had taken a lead over the past two weeks, but he did not have a good performance offensively, finishing with 18 rushing yards on seven carries. He dropped his only target in the passing game. Rountree had 11 rushing yards on four carries and was tackled for no gain on his only catch. Rookie fourth-round pick Isaiah Spiller had 3 yards on three carries before he left the game with an ankle injury. (Staley said of Spiller’s injury: “We don’t know the severity of it, but it should not be anything serious.”)

Undrafted rookies Leddie Brown (five carries, 11 yards) and Kevin Marks Jr. (four carries, 10 yards) did not fare any better. Some of it was blocking, yes. Still, the Chargers were hoping for one of these backs to take hold of the RB2 spot and, quite literally, run away with it. That has not happened. We will see how much time Spiller is expected to miss.

“All five running backs didn’t do much tonight,” Staley said. “I don’t think any of the five of them played very well.”

4. On to some positives. Joshua Palmer had three catches for 75 yards, including an 18-yard touchdown on a screen pass and a 41-yard completion on a contested catch down the field. Both came from Easton Stick, who started the game. Chase Daniel played the second half. Palmer is having a good camp and has cemented himself as the third wide receiver in the offense. When starters and key contributors play in the preseason, you want them to dominate. That is what Palmer did Saturday night.

“We know he’s a starting-caliber player, but I think he can gain a lot of confidence playing with Easton and Chase,” Staley said. “I thought tonight he was a real bright spot for us.”

Joshua Palmer has established himself as the Chargers’ clear No. 3 receiver. (Gary A. Vasquez / USA Today)

5. Michael Bandy caught eight passes on nine targets for 69 yards and a touchdown. He is going to have a tough time cracking the 53-man roster, just based on the numbers. But Bandy has proved this summer that he is a quality NFL player. If Bandy gets cut, I would be surprised if he clears waivers.

6. The Chargers had only three edge rushers up for this game: Chris Rumph II, Jamal Davis II and Carlo Kemp. As such, all three played significant snaps. Davis flashed as a run defender, as he has throughout camp. Effort and stoutness setting the edge in the run game are Davis’ strengths. He had two tackles for loss Saturday. Davis, who played in the CFL last season, does not bring a ton of juice as a pass rusher, but he is making a case for the 53-man roster with his run defending. And the Chargers will need to keep a fourth edge rusher, especially with Kyle Van Noy playing exclusively off the ball so far in camp.

“Jamal plays really hard,” Staley said. “He does exactly what he’s asked. Really puts his heart there on the field, and we really like that about him. He’s a tough football player, and he’s improving. Coming from the CFL, there’s a lot to learn. But I think he really gives a lot to the game, and we really like coaching him.”

7. Healthy starters and contributors who did not play Saturday night: James, Van Noy, Adderley, Ekeler, Tranquill, Justin Herbert, Gerald Everett, Keenan Allen, Bryce Callahan, Khalil Mack, Corey Linsley, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Rashawn Slater, Matt Feiler, Tre’ McKitty, Joey Bosa and Austin Johnson. Players who missed the game because of injury: Gilman, Tevaughn Campbell, Mark Webb Jr., Emeke Egbule, Ty Shelby and Donald Parham Jr.

8. Stick completed 11 of 20 passes for 134 yards, one touchdown and a rather ugly interception on a forced throw downfield. Stick should have checked down to Kelley on the play. Daniel completed 13 of 21 passes for 111 yards and a touchdown. Daniel took a beating behind the third-string offensive line. Staley has said this is an open competition for the backup QB job behind Herbert, but I think we will see Daniel as the other active QB on game days to begin the season.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Has Storm improved from last year?
      Yes...Norton has improved from a poor man's Tevi to a poor man's Pip...

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

IMO

Woods needs a redshirt year to work on his body, technique and smarts.

Jamal David makes this team as a run down defender to spell Mack. Egbule doesn’t.

Bandy has a shot as WR6 with another solid game next week.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          IMO

Jamal David makes this team as a run down defender to spell Mack. Egbule doesn’t.

Agree 100%

Comment

• Fleet 1
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Kauai
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            I mean if we don’t make the playoffs this year with everyone key healthy then I think everyone in the FO and coaching staff needs to be fired. I expect a deep run, maybe even a SB appearance, otherwise.
            I suspect we make it also. Im not even certain i am pushing for Staleys head yet. Just huge amounts of concern. And if we lose key players...it sure would be nice to still make the playoffs. Due to adequate depth. Which is really all im bitching about right now. I expect to see better out of our 2s and 3s. My hope is that Staley feels that way also and isnt just relying on his starters to do well.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Starting to sound like Woods is another overdrafted player who busts.

we need to look elsewhere for a back up RB. Doesn’t seem like a legit #2 is on the roster.

and popper is right about why that ST meltdown matters.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • New Jersey
                • Send PM

can you afford to keep Gaziano over Tillery if both provide near equal production?

Oh, I'm just tired of Tillery. I realize that's not completely logical. And I know that, usually, the tie goes to the contract. Maybe they can flip him for a 7th.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Send PM

IMO

Seems we could have fared much better with a more polished player in the third round. Someone that knows how to tackle for instance. God.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

We should have pick 17 after final cuts. Hopefully a decent RB is there. And I wouldn't mind a 3rd string qb upgrade either.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Oh, I'm just tired of Tillery. I realize that's not completely logical. And I know that, usually, the tie goes to the contract. Maybe they can flip him for a 7th.
                      Tillery's act is wearing very thin with me. He's way too pathetic in the run game. A huge liability. And I worry that his attitude might be at least part of the problem. And that shit is contagious.

Comment

• captaind
                        Cook This Pork Chops
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Mars
                        • Ball Holder
                        • Send PM

IMO

Anyone not named Telesco is not surprised about Woods. No need to rehash it all.

Bandy already has the skillset. He's the kind of underdog fans like to root for. I hope we find a spot for him.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Has Storm improved from last year?
                          Last week the thinking was he might’ve improved a bit, after yesterday I can’t imagine anyone making that claim, he got annihilated by 2nd and 3rd team cowboy defensive linemen…he made pimpkins looked really good yesterday…
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X