Cowboys @ Chargers Preseason Game Day Thread (PS #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hadl2Alworth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

same, I can’t get on any type of ‘fire staley’ train yet…too soon
    I don't want to fire Staley. He is a smart man with an innovative approach. And he is a very good man. But his players seem to have the notion that you are entitled to take games/plays off if you feel like it. That tells me Staley needs to be firm about what he expects from his players and have real-life consequences when they don't measure up. I don't know that Staley will ever be the type of Head Coach that gives a royal chewing out to a player but he needs to produce consequences of some significance or we'll have yet another playoff-less football season IMO. The culture needs upgrading.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Going back into my wizard role. lol
      What's that?

Comment

• captaind
        Cook This Pork Chops
        • Jun 2013
        • Mars
        • Ball Holder
        • Send PM

Wanting our 2's and 3's to play better and wondering why they are not close to the same level as other teams 2's and 3's is panicking? Just trying to figure out the puzzle man. Ill tell you why...depth is really fucking important during a season.

Maybe i need to start a podcast. Those guys are just fans. lol Been doing this shit for 30 years. Player development is a big deal to me. Especially as it pertains to the fundamentals. Weird that fans with podcats get treated like legit football analyst. lol Its just fans man. They are just fans. Way to much credit given to social influencers.

Id like to see better from those fighting for spots. Every team is like you say. Every team has a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players. Average age of this team is right in the middle at around 26 years old.

Where in my post am i talking about the starters and panicking? This is a development take and a simple opinion on how we might be able to create better football players that end up on the back of the roster. lol
        I hear you, bro. Let's be honest. We could have taken our punter & long snapper and called 9 other lucky people from the crowd to cover punts & kicks and probably gotten better results.

Is it so much to expect players to know basic fundamentals coming into this? Where have they been? Some of them look like they haven't played a down of football in their f-ing lives. Sorry if I expect them to know how to play football. How to catch a pass. How to tackle. Basic skills. To me, it's a reflection of our GM. But we've had this discussion plenty of times before. When we start having injuries and expect these guys to come off the bench and not have a huge fall-off in results, maybe some others here will get it. Yet again. Every. Freaking. Year. We. See. This. Pattern.

I'm done now.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

I hear you, bro. Let's be honest. We could have taken our punter & long snapper and called 9 other lucky people from the crowd to cover punts & kicks and probably gotten better results.

Is it so much to expect players to know basic fundamentals coming into this? Where have they been? Some of them look like they haven't played a down of football in their f-ing lives. Sorry if I expect them to know how to play football. How to catch a pass. How to tackle. Basic skills. To me, it's a reflection of our GM. But we've had this discussion plenty of times before. When we start having injuries and expect these guys to come off the bench and not have a huge fall-off in results, maybe some others here will get it. Yet again. Every. Freaking. Year. We. See. This. Pattern.

I'm done now.
          It's fucking sad.

Comment

• Duck of Death
            Social Piranha
            • May 2022
            • Flyover, USA
            • Send PM

Kavontae Turpin supposedly runs a 4.29 40. Judging by how he obliterated JT Woods’ pursuit angle, I don’t doubt it. And I’m guessing Bolts’ Special Teams didn’t get that memo. What a find for the Cowboys.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I finished watching the first half…my initial assessment was a bit harsh on sarrell, he was better than I first thought despite playing out of position at LT, he did well considering he’s a RT

Okay so can’t believe I’m typing this but pipkins was solid, his teamwork with johnson was good they passed off pass rushers on at least two stunts seamlessly, almost looked like they’d been doing it for a while together…right now in my humble opinion oipkins is head and shoulders better than norton, it’s not even close anymore…

jaimes was steady but looks like PS squad depth piece, hunter was awful yesterday, salyer has clearly established himself as the third guard on the depth chart

clapp was better than last week, he’s a servicable back-up center with some guard flex, I think he makes jaimes expendable…

both norton and bailey were awful, norton lucked out that some of his worst plays were nullified by penalties otherwise his grade would be even worse,…IMO norton was the worse offensive lineman in the first half of the game yesterday, I still have to watch the second half…

right now I have the chargers starting slater, fieler, linsey, johnson, and pipkins……the swing tackle is sarrell, with slayer, and clapp filling out the interior….jaimes, goes to the PS the chargers finding better players than hunter and bailey to fill roster squad spots, norton is gone, he’s done as a charger IMO, he was awful…
              Has Storm improved from last year?

Comment

• Fleet 1
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Kauai
                • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

I'm done now.
                Just wondering why we are not more balanced. And throwing out ideas. But i guess its coming off like ive thrown out the season already and want the coach fired. Just not the case.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Honestly seeing our backups look like ass out there just makes me remember how long I have not been a fan of Telesco,especially seeing our RT position.The Only reason we have been making better free agent moves is because we have a rookie QB and Staley is in his ear telling him who to get.If we peter out again this season I would be Much more inclined to shit can Telescope then Another one of his coaching picks.After 10 years at the GM helm we better at the very least win our division this year.I mean cmon man.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

I don't want to fire Staley. He is a smart man with an innovative approach. And he is a very good man. But his players seem to have the notion that you are entitled to take games/plays off if you feel like it. That tells me Staley needs to be firm about what he expects from his players and have real-life consequences when they don't measure up. I don't know that Staley will ever be the type of Head Coach that gives a royal chewing out to a player but he needs to produce consequences of some significance or we'll have yet another playoff-less football season IMO. The culture needs upgrading.
                    Agree...Staley needs to lose the inner Milquetoast Mikey persona and adopt some good old Fiery Marty...

Comment

• Fleet 1
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kauai
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

What's that?
                      Behind the curtain management of TPB. lol

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I just worry more about the development or our depth than our starters. I get running chill camps to keep your starters healthy. They may start out slow but whatever. But our back ups look like T Ball....other teams like 10 year olds vs us. Why does this happen? Is TT not cutting it with his depth players? Is it coaching. Is it soft camps? It looks to be a trend and i think that is the concern. I know its preseason. Im not looking to can Staley right now. But if we miss the playoffs again? With this roster? Get ready for me to not be real happy about that. Ill say that right now just to prepare those of you who simply wont tolerate any criticism. Depth is critical to making it through a season. How many of those guys last night will make the roster? 15-20?

Maybe we should start putting our non starters on a separate field and let them crush each other. Run them harder if you have to. Maybe our approach to keeping the starters healthy should not apply for those trying to earn a spot.

Just feels like such a huge gap between our bottom 25 and top 25 or so. Again it may be they are just not getting enough play in camp. They look tired and not very good.

Maybe its time to rethink the way we do camp for the non starters. Most teams are out there letting their starters get really physical though. I think Staley really wanted to run a camp that was safe and will help us overcome our crazy injury curse. Understandable.

But with the guys fighting for spots...who cares. Let them eat. Let them get fit. Starting to wonder if its just the way we run camp. It might just be a balance issue.
                        I mean if we don’t make the playoffs this year with everyone key healthy then I think everyone in the FO and coaching staff needs to be fired. I expect a deep run, maybe even a SB appearance, otherwise.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Send PM

Behind the curtain management of TPB. lol
                          of course. ha

Comment

Working...
                          X