• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...it started last year when Lombo failed to adjust to defenses stacking the box. Instead of dialing up at least a few midrange and long routes to stretch the D, Lombo doggedly kept pounding the rock up the gut for nada, or short passes which were defensed for the most part. Case in point was the Vikings game, which we lost, 27-20. This was a winnable game, but Lombo's failure to adjust to the Vikes stacking the box sealed our doom, with a lot of stalled drives and the Bolts time of possession was less than 24 minutes. This was a common issue last season. And all those 3-and-outs in the 4th quarter of the Raider game were like a bad deja vu dream all over again. Here's a screenshot of that stacked Vikes box:

vikes stack box 1.JPG
    When an opposing DC knows Lombo is just going to dial up runs and short passes, it's only natural to stack the box until he sees otherwise. And look! Look familiar?:

raiders stacked box 1.JPG

Shame on u Lombo! Shame! There are Pop Warner League coaches that can make better adjustments than u!!!!
    Top, do you think that Herbert was not allowed to audible out of a play last season? So the play that was called is the play that is run, regardless of the defensive formation? I could see them not letting Herbert change the play at the line or at least limit his ability (same play but option to call it left or right) due to his youth and unfamililiarity with the offense. Lombardi did say Herbert was not so focused on the defense but rather his own offense. Might that explain it?

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

To me saying Lombo has to go is just plain ignorant of a lot of factors. Lombo doesnt control what the D shows at the line. Herbert has control when to audible out of plays AND HE DID. Raiders chose to take Mike Williams out of the game and Allen was our normal #1 option and was gone. The first quarter looked very good w Allen in there but Raiders adjusted after Allen was out and forced us to choose going into a more risky situation of going for the pass or take the given run plays.

To me games are about risk management and with a 2 score lead I think throwing bombs IS riskier….sure it MIGHT turn into a big play but it also might yield a turnover too which we would agree is potentially harmful? I think Staley has a lot of input into situationally what he expects to do if up or if down at the half too…i sure hope he does at least. So you nor I know what was by plan or not. Staley got bitched out because he was “too aggressive” last year right…so he goes and adjusts to take it down a notch and some bitch we were too conservative WHILE WE WERE WINNING NO LESS….give them some time to learn how this team is good at. I think we saw the run blocking was only so so at this point but that means what….stop doing it and pass every play OR go work on that as a unit to improve it so it can work better?

im in the fence of Lombo was part of the reason the offense was solid top 5 last year and deserves some fricken credit in his first year as an OC here under a first time head coach. Give him some breathing room to learn and adjust. The strategy and how the Raiders reacted isnt what we will see every game…..but did the Outcome get us to the goal? Is the goal 350 yards for Herbert or to win by 21? Nope. Its to get a damn W on the board….mission accomplished. Now go get the KC game plan finalized and practiced. NFL games are fantastic because of all the variables and thats what makes a game plan only a plan…we dont control what happens nor does Lombo but let him have more games to judge him by for this year…we earned a Win against a rival. Thats the only stat that moves us a step closer to getting into the playoffs….be happy about it.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Top, do you think that Herbert was not allowed to audible out of a play last season? So the play that was called is the play that is run, regardless of the defensive formation? I could see them not letting Herbert change the play at the line or at least limit his ability (same play but option to call it left or right) due to his youth and unfamililiarity with the offense. Lombardi did say Herbert was not so focused on the defense but rather his own offense. Might that explain it?

TG
        The average QB can't audible all the time. When Lombo comes up with a game plan, a team mostly sticks with it. In addition, in the 4th quarter with a lead, Lombo most probably has told Herbie to stick with the ground game and an occasional short pass, to run out the clock. I don't agree with this unless there's about a minute left with a lead...THEN you go with ground game garbage time to run it out...but with 3:42 left, (earlier Raider game screenshot) it's just plain silly to go with those predictable runs up the gut on 1st and 2nd down...I say, go for the jugular, pedal to the metal, mix it up with short and at least mid-range passes on both first and second down, with an occasional run...Lomboball is just another reboot of Martyball, and it will come back to bite us sooner or later...

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

McKitty dropped a wideopen 3rd down pass that could have extended the drive so not all Lombardi’s fault.
          True...I did like the call on that pass to McMeow...but my point is, Lombo should have been dialing up more passes, because the ground game in the 4th quarter vs. a stacked box just doesn't usually work...and for the most part, it didn't...our defense saved us repeatedly in this game with those turnovers...if the Raiders complete just one of those drives for a TD, we lose...

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

True...I did like the call on that pass to McMeow...but my point is, Lombo should have been dialing up more passes, because the ground game in the 4th quarter vs. a stacked box just doesn't usually work...and for the most part, it didn't...our defense saved us repeatedly in this game with those turnovers...if the Raiders complete just one of those drives for a TD, we lose...
            No, we would have called different plays, since trying to run out the clock is not the same thing as trying to come from behind and win.

Comment

• CivilBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

No, we would have called different plays, since trying to run out the clock is not the same thing as trying to come from behind and win.
              I agree. I have a feeling Lombardi was trying to call a 4-minute O to close the game.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Well, we beat this to death. Thanks guys. Lombo admitted he got too conservative. That’s a positive going forward.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

This isn't just about this game, it's long been my thoughts on playing against a stacked box defense.

When we find we can't move the ball with our run game, I think they should start using our RB as a receiver. Hit Ekeler on a seam pass and he will turn it into a big gain. Do it again and the defense will back off and then you can run it. Sid Gilman used to say; "take what they give ya". Ekeler and Kelley are both pretty good receivers, if the defense wants to keep them from running, throw it to them.

In this game, it didn't help that KA was sidelined. He's usually the guy we convert third downs to. He was having a great game prior to the hamstring problem. I had just thought to myself, Allen may set a record today. It will be interesting to see what adjustments they make in this KC game when they know they don't have KA.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

based on last Sunday, we need to pass from start to finish.

our QB was 70 percent effective when passing the ball.... Sony Michel was ten percent effective when running the ball.

closing out the game w/Ek might work in the short term, but it's a big no-no in the longterm and over the course of the season.... we will lose that gambit.

Kelley could be helpful there, but no reason to drop ship the game plan on that 'til proven otherwise.... our passing offense is highly efficient and effective.... worrying about turnovers vs. the optimization of points on the board to seal a victory is giving way too much benefit of the doubt to a defense that hadn't done squat the whole game, and not giving nearly enough confidence in our golden god.

we have a handful of top tier pass catchers, and another handful of mid tier pass catching threats.... Ekeler and Kelley included.... what we don't have is a stable of RBs that can close out games.

personally, and as recently stated, am on the lookout for a vet RB that can help round out the offensive backfield for us, coz not optimistic 'bout what Michel is bringing to the table.
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

Mahomes had 5 TD’s. Playing conservative not in Reid’s playbook.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

we've got some guys that need to eat in Keenan's absence.... MW, Palmer, Carter, Guyton, Everett, McKitty, Rodgers, Ekeler, Kelley.... every one of those guys is capable.... no need to condense the playbook.

personally, think 'tis 'specially important to get the ball to Carter/Guyton and McKitty/Rodgers.... don't let KC get comfortable in their defensive set.
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Things could be worse...at least Lombo didn't dial up fumbles at the goal line like Denver did last night!

:Cheers1:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X