• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
    It is sickening, to me. We have Herbert. He's an absolute beast of a QB. Yet, our playbook seems to only dial up plays where the receivers are tightly covered. They don't have plays that have them catch it in some sort of space. Look at half of those Chief plays. Open for 6 yards around them. I do believe a lot of this is design flaws. Problem is, Herbert is so gifted, he can fit the ball into tiny windows quite often. And we all oooh and ahhh. forgetting that it would be better to have some designs with bigger windows.

At least Andy Reid gets creative to get people OPEN.

And then there's the whole turtling up last game. Add to that the ridiculous "trick" plays which absolutely never work. Then, the one that miffed me all night, Lombo doing these no-huddle quick snap plays (think the failed QB sneak last week) that are "designed" to confuse the defense. Instead, you can TELL our guys more confused. And winded. And unready. And he still chose to do it with Linsley and Pipkins out. Huddle up and call a creative play.

I want him gone. But he won't be. Staley is emotionally tied to him (see their history). Add to that, people mistake Herberts ability to overcome the crappy play calling as the same as Lombo being good at this.

Remember, Herbert was good under Anthony Lynn as well.
    Man, that silly double toss gadget play reminded me of some of the other dumb trick plays we have run before...and mostly failed at...how about just let Herbie throw it downfield?

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

no

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Guys just aren't consistently getting open right now. I don't know if this is a playcalling issue or a talent issue. Also hard to judge the offense without KA right now.

Look at all of Mike Williams' catches tonight - ALL heavily contested. The TD was a circus catch (helluva catch too).
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
          Chargers Hall of Fame
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Man, that silly double toss gadget play reminded me of some of the other dumb trick plays we have run before...and mostly failed at...how about just let Herbie throw it downfield?
          When is the last time Herbert really let it fly downfield? If all the defense is doing is light boxes and deep drops, you'd think we'd have an easier time running the ball. Or the long-missed screens to Ekeler out of the backfield.

Remember when they said in preseason that this year is Justin's 202 in this offense? B.S. Not seeing the evidence.

Comment

• UtahBolt
            Did we win?
            • Jun 2013
            • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
            • Send PM

I just can't get over what a shit show the up-tempo offense was most of the night, not to mention the hurry up before the pick six when Everett was clearly gassed. I could see it from Utah! Just really weird play calling rhythm tonight, really weird.
            I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
              Oh well they are the Top Tier team in NFL and we gave them that win. We can bang with anyone in the NFL. Mini bye. Hope Herbert is ok.
              Chiefs are not the top tier team in the NFL.....not even close.

Losing T. Hill made their offense plodding; their defense did not put much pressure on Herbert until Linsley came out.
              And it isn't like they have lockdown corners: they do have some nice safeties.

Their offense got zero touchdowns in the 4rth quarter.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

I'm pretty much where Chief's fans were last year with the turnover fueled loss last year in K.C.
                Chargers are the better team.

Comment

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                  Guys just aren't consistently getting open right now. I don't know if this is a playcalling issue or a talent issue. Also hard to judge the offense without KA right now.

Look at all of Mike Williams' catches tonight - ALL heavily contested. The TD was a circus catch (helluva catch too).
                  If we refuse to use our WRs that gain separation and throw everything to our two WRs that get the least separation (Williams and Palmer), then I would expect this trend to continue. At least Williams makes a lot of contested catches.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2022, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Williams cleanly beat the cb on that long pass. Otherwise, I couldn't see what was going on downfield.

A lot might be the K.C. coverage schemes and Lombo just isn't able to react. I don't know.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                      NO

losing C + RT cost more than any play calling.
                      Yep.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

I'm less concerned about Lombo and more concerned about:

The injury to Linsley
                        The injury to Pipkins
                        The injury to Herbert (though it apparently isn't serious if he was still playing)
                        Why Palmer doesn't look right (though relieved to see him catch a TD pass)
                        Why Feiler got his arse kicked

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                          ~ Charger Fan ~
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Jupiter, FL
                          • Send PM

We had over 400 yds of offense. It’s not like we got shut down!? They took away the deep stuff and forced us to play underneath. Please stop with the T-Billy comments!!!! Please!

Comment

Working...
                          X