• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Well...it was true last week! But we once again, did just enough things wrong in all phases to lose the game.
    Last week the Raider game was way closer than it had to be. Carr had the ball with a chance to win the game in the final drive. We had a dominant defensive performance with 6 sacks and 3 turnovers. The offence should have put that game away easily but Joe went all conservative and let the Raiders hang around even through Herbert was shredding them

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I think Crusher would be a decent improvement over Lombo as OC...I don't exactly agree with Crusher's take on Palmer, but aside from that, I think he'd use Herbo's talents well...
      12 targets, 35 total yards. That is what targeting Palmer has produced in terms of yardage. Palmer has poor moves, is not fast enough to be a speedy deep threat, and is not big enough to win a high percentage of contested passes. With no go to traits, he is not respected in terms of being given a large cushion and struggles to gain separation--so says the separation stats (not just me). This makes Palmer a very inefficient receiver. It is as plain as day.

Once again, how does Palmer win? Nobody has provided a persuasive answer despite my repeated asking of the question.

Warren Sharp gets it regarding Herbert. If you have Justin Herbert and you are averaging 3.8 air yards per attempt, something is very wrong.

Yes, we must use Allen and Williams, but we need more of Guyton and Carter and less of Palmer and we need more intermediate and long passes and fewer short passes.

The pay design on the pick-6 was bad also, not to mention the obviously poor choice of rushing to the line and trying to go to an obviously winded Everett. Palmer and Everett were too close to each other if they were not executing a rub play.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2022, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Speaking for myself, I'm not blaming JL for losing this game.

I simply don't think he's good enough to compete with good defensive coordinators.
        So my now is with Staley. We know Lombo blows as a playcaller, so what's your answer?

Staley wanted Kevin O'Connell initially but was denied by McVay. I say he needs to find plan C now.
        In theory, the answer is to find someone that knows the New Orleans offense, but who can call plays within it better than Lombardi can. Sean Payton comes to mind, but that would never happen as Payton would merit a HC position.

Forever, I will believe that Cam Cameron called better plays in Norv Turner's offensive system than Norv Turner ever did. I think Lombardi is very similar to Turner in his underachieving with great talent. Lions fans do not care for Lombardi, who was the other team for whom Lombardi served as OC. Lombardi was never promoted to OC in New Orleans and that should tell us something.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Man, that silly double toss gadget play reminded me of some of the other dumb trick plays we have run before...and mostly failed at...how about just let Herbie throw it downfield?
          Let other, more flawed qbs depend on tricks and gadgets.
          we have a guy in JH who can dominate with a basic playbook so long as the playcalling is able to adjust to the defense.
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• nomad1946
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2017
            • West Yellowstone, Montana
            • Retired
            • Send PM

If we get rid of Lombardi do we elevate Shane Day?

Comment

• AZBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

mid we don’t stretch the field we are wasting Herbert. He has a big arm and throws beautiful long throws but we rarely see it. I think we only had 2 long balls all night. Both successful. If that’s how we’re gonna play we might as well sit Herbert and let Chase throw swing passes to Ekeler and quick hits all night
              On point......LombardI playcalling is not taking advantage of the elite skills that JH brings to the table......play calling looks designed for a challenged, mediocre QB that doesn't have anything near JH skills :- ((

Comment

• AZBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Last week the Raider game was way closer than it had to be. Carr had the ball with a chance to win the game in the final drive. We had a dominant defensive performance with 6 sacks and 3 turnovers. The offence should have put that game away easily but Joe went all conservative and let the Raiders hang around even through Herbert was shredding them
                Totally agree, enough excuses already, Lombardi is a D+ to C- Offensive Coordinator.......Charger players and fans deserve better than this......He is NOT getting the most out of JH and crew

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

In theory, the answer is to find someone that knows the New Orleans offense, but who can call plays within it better than Lombardi can. Sean Payton comes to mind, but that would never happen as Payton would merit a HC position.

Forever, I will believe that Cam Cameron called better plays in Norv Turner's offensive system than Norv Turner ever did. I think Lombardi is very similar to Turner in his underachieving with great talent. Lions fans do not care for Lombardi, who was the other team for whom Lombardi served as OC. Lombardi was never promoted to OC in New Orleans and that should tell us something.
                  Fire Staley and hire Payton. Staley is an over caffeinated child.

Comment

Fire Staley and hire Payton. Staley is an over caffeinated child.
                    I like what used to be Staley's in game aggressiveness.

I am not sold on the greatness of his system. Everywhere he has been, he has had great talent (Mack, Miller, Donald, Ramsey, and what we have now) or his system tanked (our defense last year). I still prefer the aggressive attacking 3-4 defenses that have been run over the years with great success by BAL and PIT and us a decade and a half ago.

Our defense is working now, but we have 4 studs on the unit at the same time. I think a lot of defensive schemes might look pretty good with Jackson, James, Mack and Bosa playing them.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I like what used to be Staley's in game aggressiveness.

I am not sold on the greatness of his system. Everywhere he has been, he has had great talent (Mack, Miller, Donald, Ramsey, and what we have now) or his system tanked (our defense last year). I still prefer the aggressive attacking 3-4 defenses that have been run over the years with great success by BAL and PIT and us a decade and a half ago.

Our defense is working now, but we have 4 studs on the unit at the same time. I think a lot of defensive schemes might look pretty good with Jackson, James, Mack and Bosa playing them.
                      His defensive acumen was tested last season and he failed. He has great players now. I drank the kook aid when they hired him and the 4th down stuff was exciting but now the veil has been lifted and we got a frog not a prince. I’m sick of the John Carroll guys. Cookie cutter. As usual the chargers went cheap and inexperienced. Lynn, McCoy and Staley.

Comment

His defensive acumen was tested last season and he failed. He has great players now. I drank the kook aid when they hired him and the 4th down stuff was exciting but now the veil has been lifted and we got a frog not a prince. I’m sick of the John Carroll guys. Cookie cutter. As usual the chargers went cheap and inexperienced. Lynn, McCoy and Staley.
                        Was the bolded part deliberate or an amazingly effective typo?

Comment

• Eurobolt
                          *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Send PM

He has been given all world and panicking.

Comment

Working...
                          X