Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'd have to go back and watch it.

Its been unproductive all season and they had/have some quality olinemen and runningbacks.

I suspect its the overall scheme and not the players
    Im going with players not gelling together on the OL. Not sure Everett has been known for his blocking either, Fieler seems to be regressing.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Im going with players not gelling together on the OL. Not sure Everett has been known for his blocking either, Fieler seems to be regressing.
      ​​​​​​
      Bad OL coach

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Once again I'll point out that Kuup ran a 4.61 and Keenan is our slowest WR and those two are the best WRs on their respective teams. It's over blown.

And of course I don't agree with Chain. Dead wrong on Palmer while Tyron has 1 reception this season and three for his last two seasons.

Just get over TBilly, he did ok with us....... In Lynn's offense but nobody is elevating him on their roster since he has left..... And he is on his third team since he left.

Ship has sailed and sorry, Staley has made some inexperienced mistakes but he knows more about the game x1000 than you do.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Bad OL coach
          We do have a different OL coach so not ruling that out. Why don't we just hire the guy that coached Pip and many others in the offseason?

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Once again I'll point out that Kuup ran a 4.61 and Keenan is our slowest WR and those two are the best WRs on their respective teams. It's over blown.

And of course I don't agree with Chain. Dead wrong on Palmer while Tyron has 1 reception this season and three for his last two seasons.

Just get over TBilly, he did ok with us....... In Lynn's offense but nobody is elevating him on their roster since he has left..... And he is on his third team since he left.

Ship has sailed and sorry, Staley has made some inexperienced mistakes but he knows more about the game x1000 than you do.
            So does Lynn
            so does McCoy
            So does Norv
            Etc.
            Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

We do have a different OL coach so not ruling that out. Why don't we just hire the guy that coached Pip and many others in the offseason?
              I don’t know why that guy isn’t in the NFL and same for the QB coach who all the top end guys go to for training (including Herbert)

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I don’t know why that guy isn’t in the NFL and same for the QB coach who all the top end guys go to for training (including Herbert)
                Probably makes a lot more money than a coach and doesn't have the brutal NFL in season coaching hours.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Probably makes a lot more money than a coach and doesn't have the brutal NFL in season coaching hours.
                  You’re right. Those private workouts might end up paying more than a job as a position coach and then there’s the time

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                    Lombardi is an idiot ?
                    I would call Lombo inflexible and unable to adapt his offense to both his own personnel, namely Herbie's strengths, and Lombo also fails to make adjustments to opposing defenses. Now, his faults are losing us games, just like last season. In the corporate world, an employee who repeatedly fails at their job usually gets fired--unless you have a family member or good friend who is your boss...hence Staley...

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Nobody is disputing that the best WR on a team may be a slower WR. In those instances, the slower WR has another skill or skills that offset(s) the lack of speed problem. In Allen's case, his sudden movement ability allows him to get open quickly. But defenders can and do close on him if he is running after making moves. All other things being equal, having speed is better for a WR than not having speed.

In the case of our team, right now, all of our active wide receivers are "not fast" to "slow", which is terrible as we have no speedy deep threat. We signed a relatively fast scrub from PHI's practice squad demonstrating the degree to which our team management and coaches just do not get it. On a team with playoff and possibly Super Bowl aspirations, why we are not trying to sign Will Fuller or even Chris Conley is beyond all understanding. To the extent that those receivers may be better than either Guyton or Palmer, that is not a bad thing.

As for Johnson, he played better for us than Palmer ever has. It is as simple as that. In no universe is there even an argument to the contrary. 398 yards on just 26 targets for Johnson (2020) versus 353 yards on 49 targets for Palmer (2021). There is no comparison there as one receiver, Johnson, was basically more than twice as effective as the other (15.3 yards per target versus 7.2 yards per target). And this year, of course, Palmer's yards per target (even with the blown play by the defender that gifted Palmer a 45 reception on a 7 yard pass) are down to 6.4 yards per target. And if you give Palmer 10 yards instead of 45 to account for the defensive incompetence, a more accurate figure of 4.7 yards per target is produced. There are RBs that gain more yardage per touch running with the ball, which makes Palmer's unaided production pretty pathetic.

And the bigger problem with cutting Johnson, of course, is that it left us with only one speedy WR. And if that WR gets injured, then we have none and cannot stretch out opposing defenses vertically. How any team management and coaching staff could fail to recognize this very, very simple concept is mind boggling.

Among the statements I made before the season began were that:

1. Our scoring rank of 5th resulted in too much credit being given to Lombardi because it failed to consider points produced by Staley's unique 4th down aggressiveness.
                      2. If the offense uses Palmer more and Guyton less, the offense will suffer because Palmer does not complement Allen and Williams as well as Guyton does.

Well, we are not going for it as much on 4th down this year and the offense has focused more on Palmer. The result, we are not even scoring 20 points per game. Herbert is 6th from the bottom in intended air yards despite being 6th from the top in throws in which the defender is within one yard of the intended receiver. More risk for less yards. What I predicted would happen has happened. Do you see it now?

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Speed is over-rated. What's important is that you have a receiver (or receivers) that can win 1 on 1 down the field. Look at it from a defensive coordinators perspective playing against the Chargers. Would you feel comfortable leaving Mike Williams 1 on 1 on the outside down the field with no safety help? Probably not. Mike Williams has the same impact as a speedy receiver. You have to shade help to that side. Everett is also VERY fast as a tight end but I need to go back and see how they're defending him. It's hard to say much about this offense thus far in the season until seeing what it looks like when Keenan Allen is on the field. The few series he played vs the Raiders the offense was going down the field repeatedly.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

“Speed is over-rated”

I’ll take ‘Things never said about Tyreek Hill’ for 100, Alex.

Comment

Working...
                          X