Until John Spanos is Gone, Nothing Will Ever Change - Locked By Fleet - John LIstened

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'd say many don't feel that way about Keenan so you shouldn't speak for most people..

Joey is a top pass rusher when healthy. Problem is, he isn't healthy often enough.
    So I'll play devil's advocate.

Keenan has been a lot more productive, even counting this year while some are claiming that he is slacking(mind boggling comment) while Joey has played in as many games this season and not a peep on his injury history while costing 28 mil to the cap.

He has had two, or three seasons missing games with concussions while during Joey's tenure, Keenan before this season had the most receptions in a 5 year span in NFL history.

Now this year both are hurt..

Again, I'm not against Joey, great player. But can't help us when always hurt.

Maybe the best move is to get 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders for him? Look what Dallas did getting a similar haul for Hershal Walker.

I don't want to lose Joey but if it comes down to cap space we could get a boatload for him and then draft a ,....or a couple cheaper top pass rushers.

I'd feel better keeping Keenan a few more years and getting big value for Joey if one has to go.
    Rather keep the guy who has stayed on the field more.
    Joey's cap hit next year is 31 mil (before restructure) and 29 mil in 2024.....while some whining about Keenan's 20 mil. Didn't see anybody complaining about his contact when he was catching 100 balls a year.
    Hey players get injured. Joey unfortunately is injured annually.

I don't necessarily feel this way..Joey is a great player but I'm just laying it out there,..... again playing devil's advocate but if we can get ( maybe it's too much) 3 firsts and 2 seconds, would you do it? He is 27 years old and then needs to be resigned again in 2025 or 26.

Then again if Maguire/ the next GM can restructure so he is affordable for the next few seasons, this is moot. He is the biggest cap space eater on the team right now.

Some notable pass rushers to answer your question:

Jared Allen 4th round
    Justin Houston 3rd round
    Shaq Barrett 5th round
    Micheal Strahan 2nd round
    Kevin Greene 5th round

Those are some I can think without doing research.
    They are out there and those guys were great.

There are others who were good for a time like Akbar Biamila 5th round, Shawn Phillips 4th round. Not a pass rusher per se as a DT but Richard Dent was a 8th round pick (137 career sacks), Clyde Simmons a 9th round pick.

Obviously there's more but I'm not in a research mood.
    if you’re concerned about his injury issues maybe other people are too, which begs the question. Do you chance keeping him for a couple of superbowl runs or do you trade him for subpar compensation because other people are also concerned about his health? And I’ll say this, what are the odds that if the chargers were so desperate to keep him in the fold in 2020 that they overpaid based on potential and in their desperation he got a no trade clause thrown in with the deal? If he has that power ( a no trade clause) it also limits the chargers ability to drum up a bidding war which would further reduce compensation.

I’m honestly hoping that ‘trade bosa’ doesn’t gain momentum here on the forum, that would make this forum a lot less fun to post on for sure…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

if you’re concerned about his injury issues maybe other people are too, which begs the question. Do you chance keeping him for a couple of superbowl runs or do you trade him for subpar compensation because other people are also concerned about his health? And I’ll say this, what are the odds that if the chargers were so desperate to keep him in the fold in 2020 that they overpaid based on potential and in their desperation he got a no trade clause thrown in with the deal? If he has that power ( a no trade clause) it also limits the chargers ability to drum up a bidding war which would further reduce compensation.

I’m honestly hoping that ‘trade bosa’ doesn’t gain momentum here on the forum, that would make this forum a lot less fun to post on for sure…
      And I'm not advocating trading him but if we need to unload, he would bring us the biggest return.

I'm not trading him for subpar compensation either. That won't happen and the interest for him is at it's height right now.
      I am surprised he resigned here.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And I'm not advocating trading him but if we need to unload, he would bring us the biggest return.

I'm not trading him for subpar compensation either. That won't happen and the interest for him is at it's height right now.
        I am surprised he resigned here.
        $$$ lots and lots of $$$ is why he resigned, that and maybe other considerations he may have received like maybe a ‘no trade’ clause? IDK for sure but when a deal that big is put on the table it’s probably a safe assumption to make. They completely and totally overpaid based on what he could still become and to make sure he was locked down for the duration of the deal…as for him, do you play on your option and risk injury? And also risk that they might just franchise tag you after your option anyways? OR do you take a 42 million dollar check to the bank? BTW, that bonus alone was more than the face value of his entire rookie contract put together…

so yeah, they gave him a deal he couldn’t refuse…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

$$$ lots and lots of $$$ is why he resigned, that and maybe other considerations he may have received like maybe a ‘no trade’ clause? IDK for sure but when a deal that big is put on the table it’s probably a safe assumption to make. They completely and totally overpaid based on what he could still become and to make sure he was locked down for the duration of the deal…as for him, do you play on your option and risk injury? And also risk that they might just franchise tag you after your option anyways? OR do you take a 42 million dollar check to the bank? BTW, that bonus alone was more than the face value of his entire rookie contract put together…

so yeah, they gave him a deal he couldn’t refuse…
          He would of got lots of money elsewhere, no question about that.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

We are seeing history repeat. Rivers came in with Eli and Ben and both got 2 rings while Rivers never got to a super bowl. Herbert came in with Burrow, Tua and Hurts. Burrow’s already been to a super bowl and Tua and Hurts are in the hunt this season. Herbert hasn’t been to a playoff game and it doesn’t look good this year.

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
              We are seeing history repeat. Rivers came in with Eli and Ben and both got 2 rings while Rivers never got to a super bowl. Herbert came in with Burrow, Tua and Hurts. Burrow’s already been to a super bowl and Tua and Hurts are in the hunt this season. Herbert hasn’t been to a playoff game and it doesn’t look good this year.
              Glaringly obvious this SpAnus ran organization is a losing franchise.I truly,truly hate the SpAnus clan.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

A clear management style emerged after Dean passed control of the team to John.

Experienced GM’s and Coaches were eventually replaced with inexperience across the board.

There is only one reason someone in John’s role would do that. He wants total control and doesn’t want to hire a GM or coach with a resume that says, “hands off, I know what I’m doing and I’ll make my own decisions without your interference.”

This is why you should stop anticipating there is any chance John would replace Staley with Payton or someone of that stature who would want to consolidate control.

The other clear thing that emerged since Dean passed control to John. The team hasn’t been playoff caliber and the scapegoats are a
                the revolving door of inexperienced HC’s they keep hiring while John hides in the executive suite.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                  A clear management style emerged after Dean passed control of the team to John.

Experienced GM’s and Coaches were eventually replaced with inexperience across the board.

There is only one reason someone in John’s role would do that. He wants total control and doesn’t want to hire a GM or coach with a resume that says, “hands off, I know what I’m doing and I’ll make my own decisions without your interference.”

This is why you should stop anticipating there is any chance John would replace Staley with Payton or someone of that stature who would want to consolidate control.

The other clear thing that emerged since Dean passed control to John. The team hasn’t been playoff caliber and the scapegoats are a
                  the revolving door of inexperienced HC’s they keep hiring while John hides in the executive suite.
                  I think the beauty of the Spanos model of management is that you don't really know who is responsible for what in this organization.
                  Its all group think and group reflection, consensus of opinion and harmony. Its not just John Boy, that has a strong element of Deano.

Bring in a football player at the trade deadline? They need a committee to change the brand of toilet paper at Charger park.
                  How is everyone going to get on board quickly when a potential trade materializes? Telesco sifting through the Cleveland Brown's
                  dumpsters for Davison is something that can be done spontaneously, without group input.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think the beauty of the Spanos model of management is that you don't really know who is responsible for what in this organization.
                    Its all group think and group reflection, consensus of opinion and harmony. Its not just John Boy, that has a strong element of Deano.

Bring in a football player at the trade deadline? They need a committee to change the brand of toilet paper at Charger park.
                    How is everyone going to get on board quickly when a potential trade materializes? Telesco sifting through the Cleveland Brown's
                    dumpsters for Davison is something that can be done spontaneously, without group input.
                    The 49ers spent the week in Colorado to get used to the altitude of Mexico City - -would Dean Spanos pay for that

I have said before, I look at the tryouts as they are usually Tuesday - the chargers are prety quiet -- do they not want to pay for those costs

Davidson was cheap and easy - much cheaper to get than Linval Joseph (who by the way, played a very good game on Sunday for the Eagles)

Like will the team cut Dicker the Kicker to keep Hopkins as they are already paying Hopkins so will they expose Dicker to the waivers. When they should be keeping Dicker

The Chargers have the cap space to do something. They had Day 3 picks - I mean who would really miss a 5th rounder next year for a depth at Edge or DTackle or WR - nope - just hte cheap practice squad guys

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The 49ers spent the week in Colorado to get used to the altitude of Mexico City - -would Dean Spanos pay for that

I have said before, I look at the tryouts as they are usually Tuesday - the chargers are prety quiet -- do they not want to pay for those costs

Davidson was cheap and easy - much cheaper to get than Linval Joseph (who by the way, played a very good game on Sunday for the Eagles)

Like will the team cut Dicker the Kicker to keep Hopkins as they are already paying Hopkins so will they expose Dicker to the waivers. When they should be keeping Dicker

The Chargers have the cap space to do something. They had Day 3 picks - I mean who would really miss a 5th rounder next year for a depth at Edge or DTackle or WR - nope - just hte cheap practice squad guys

It will be interesting what they do with Dicker.
                      Will they actually keep Hopkins because they don't want to eat his salary?
                      :toyou:

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

It will be interesting what they do with Dicker.
                        Will they actually keep Hopkins because they don't want to eat his salary?
                        :toyou:
                        They put Hopkins on IR so Dicker is our kicker for the next 4 games at least.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                          X